Ketoacidosis

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should I be worried about Ketoacidosis?

I have average readings of 14.0 last few weeks with spikes up to 18.0.

Ketone levels, measured with blood test strips, are currently at 2.6.

I am seeing the endocrinologist in two weeks but just wondering if I need to see someone before then.

Hba1c was high at 54 couple of months ago but suspect its between 70 and 80 at the moment.

I have had no lifestyle changes that could account for this but suspect I am type 1 not type 2 and the honeymoon period is coming to an end.

Gav

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Yes I am. I have only had the ketone meter for a short while so could have been like this for a while.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Yes I am. I have only had the ketone meter for a short while so could have been like this for a while.
I'd certainly keep monitoring but your blood glucose is very high for eating keto .. might be worth a 111 call see if you can get a c-peptide to see what your endogenous insulin production is like.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I got a private c peptide done last week and my c peptide is below normal range.

Just wondering if I'm in a dangerous position or if I can hold out until a couple of weeks

Thanks for your opinion

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I got a private c peptide done last week and my c peptide is below normal range.

Just wondering if I'm in a dangerous position or if I can hold out until a couple of weeks

Thanks for your opinion

Hi Gav, I would say yes, you COULD be in a very dangerous position and no, you can't hold out for even a day in my opinion. Ketoacidosis can come on extremely quickly and you won't necessarily feel the symptoms, (I didn't and ended up being rushed to hospital just in time). I think you need to get medical advice now. x

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Appreciate the advice

Just called 111 and the out of hours doctor called back. Because I didn't have any symptoms of ketoacidosis she didn't think I was in any danger.

Hope shes right.

Regards

Gav

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Appreciate the advice

Just called 111 and the out of hours doctor called back. Because I didn't have any symptoms of ketoacidosis she didn't think I was in any danger.

Hope shes right.

Regards

Gav
Hmmm what symptoms did she ask you about? Keep your water intake up.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Appreciate the advice

Hope shes right.

Regards

Gav

Hi Gav, well just keep checking your levels as you are doing. I had the symptoms of diabetes (ie, thirst) but I had no symptoms of DKA, the Dr kept asking me how I felt and I felt perfect. It wasn't until I got to the hospital (grumbling because I was feeling well) when they did all the blood tests and wham, I was put on a drip and was there for 2 days. I am sure your Dr is right but please don't be afraid to call back if you start to feel worse etc. x

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should I be worried about Ketoacidosis?

I have average readings of 14.0 last few weeks with spikes up to 18.0.

Ketone levels, measured with blood test strips, are currently at 2.6.

I am seeing the endocrinologist in two weeks but just wondering if I need to see someone before then.

Hba1c was high at 54 couple of months ago but suspect its between 70 and 80 at the moment.

I have had no lifestyle changes that could account for this but suspect I am type 1 not type 2 and the honeymoon period is coming to an end.

Gav

Gav you sound like you are in a similar position as me. I went to the out of hours doc and I am now in hospital having lots of tests. BG of 17.8 and ketones were 2 but now 4!

I’m scared but pleased I was urged to check it out. I hope it amounts to nothing but do be careful.

Reactions: KK123

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

Checked my ketones again this morning and they were up to 4.2. Called 111 and they sent me straight to a&e

A&e checked again and they were up to 5.3 with blood acid levels at the end of the range but not in ketoacidosis.

I'm now on an insulin drip and have to stay in hospital until all my numbers are back in range.

I cant thank you guys enough. If I listened to all the gp's there was a big chance this didn't end so well.

From reading all the forums I have learned a fair bit about diabetes and my body which was the main driver for me buying a ketone meter. It is no exaggeration to say these forums could have saved my life.

Gav

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

Checked my ketones again this morning and they were up to 4.2. Called 111 and they sent me straight to a&e

A&e checked again and they were up to 5.3 with blood acid levels at the end of the range but not in ketoacidosis.

I'm now on an insulin drip and have to stay in hospital until all my numbers are back in range.

I cant thank you guys enough. If I listened to all the gp's there was a big chance this didn't end so well.

From reading all the forums I have learned a fair bit about diabetes and my body which was the main driver for me buying a ketone meter. It is no exaggeration to say these forums could have saved my life.

Gav

I am so pleased to hear that you are getting medical attention. Hope you get everything sorted soon.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of interest Gav were you following a low carb diet? I have just spoken to a doc who now thinks two things are going on with me. Ketones due to LC and high BG due to something else ie, diabetes progressing.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys

Gav
So glad you continued being cautious and are getting sorted now. Once well and home I’d make sure there was some feedback is put back into the system so the dr who was dismissive is somewhat more cautious next time! If you don’t they will never know or learn.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of interest Gav were you following a low carb diet? I have just spoken to a doc who now thinks two things are going on with me. Ketones due to LC and high BG due to something else ie, diabetes progressing.
Hi Flora.

Yes I am low carb, try to stay below 30g per day. Doc in hospital said he doesn't like keto diets for type 1's but told him my BG would be insane if I didn't do low carb.

I've only been on insulin for an hour or so and my numbers are now fine. Doc says I'm very sensitive to insulin as he expected it to take a while longer to work. I think that's a good thing?

Only thing I don't understand now is why insulin reduces ketones so I'm off to read about that.

Good luck with your recovery

Reactions: Flora123

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad you continued being cautious and are getting sorted now. Once well and home I’d make sure there was some feedback is put back into the system so the dr who was dismissive is somewhat more cautious next time! If you don’t they will never know or learn.
Hi HSSS

Thanks for the well wishes. I will give some feedback but I get the Impression that it's not only the gp,s I've spoken to that don't have great knowledge about diabetes. Can't be an expert in everything I suppose.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi HSSS

Thanks for the well wishes. I will give some feedback but I get the Impression that it's not only the gp,s I've spoken to that don't have great knowledge about diabetes. Can't be an expert in everything I suppose.
Not at all, that’s why they should refer you on if there’s the realistic possibility of serious harm....

btw are they confirming/testing you as type 1 now?

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doc said he is treating me as a lada but only had a brief chat. Will find out what the plan is tomorrow I hope.

Lots to learn now though, haven't got a clue about taking insulin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you responded to insulin so swiftly it would seem to indicate that you are not type 2 as we have a resistance to insulin after being on really high levels for so long we got used to it.
I a so glad to read that you are being sorted out with the right treatment.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Flora.

Yes I am low carb, try to stay below 30g per day. Doc in hospital said he doesn't like keto diets for type 1's but told him my BG would be insane if I didn't do low carb.

I've only been on insulin for an hour or so and my numbers are now fine. Doc says I'm very sensitive to insulin as he expected it to take a while longer to work. I think that's a good thing?

Only thing I don't understand now is why insulin reduces ketones so I'm off to read about that.

Good luck with your recovery

That is really good to hear. I’m home now and i have been given Metformin and although I was told it would take a week or so to have any effect, my numbers are back in normal range this evening. They are still convinced I’m lada but will refer me to my endo again next week. Good luck