Ketogenic diet made me ill

A

Anonymous

A heartfelt thanks to most of you for your constructive comments and advice. I have now ended my very low carb diet because, as I made abundantly clear earlier, it was not right for me. For the sake of clarity, I did not at any stage comment or criticise the choices made by others.

I am now eating foods from most groups, with the exception that my carbs are still reduced to a certain extent, and that I have taken care to eat low GI carbs. Accordingly, by blood glucose levels have stabilised at between 6 and 7. This suits me and I feel very well. With an average of 6.5 mmol/l, this should equate roughly to an HbA1c level of 5.4%.

Anna: I've added your food ideas to my Ocado list :lol:

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well done Dave. Keep it up :thumbup:

Fraddycat

Hi Dave,

I travel a lot on business too and find the airline meals to be atrocious. I take nuts, babybels, pepperami and atkins bars with me on the plane to supplement whatever I can rescue from the meal. (I know you have come away from the atkins style diet but they are pretty portable and chocolately which makes them a winner in my book) Nuts are my saviour and I usually have them in my travel pack, my latest fave is walnuts! I also have protein shake mix which I take with me, I often have this as a breakfast replacement because I am fairly intolerant of carbs first thing. It also means that when I wake up super early in the hotel room because of jetlag, I can have something to start my day and have a second breakfast a few hours later.

Being stranded at an airport is often a nightmare although recently I have been able to find salads but I always try to have some nuts on hand (Easyjet sell them - about the only thing of theirs I can eat everything else is white carbs)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ursus262 said:
I am now eating foods from most groups, with the exception that my carbs are still reduced to a certain extent, and that I have taken care to eat low GI carbs. Accordingly, by blood glucose levels have stabilised at between 6 and 7. This suits me and I feel very well. With an average of 6.5 mmol/l, this should equate roughly to an HbA1c level of 5.4%.

Dave

Great result Dave, sounds similar to my own diet which works very well for me too :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased you got sorted Dave :thumbup: