Ketones testing.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hi. I have never EVER tested for ketones. I am just wondering how many of you guys have (or more specifically do it regularly)? And why?

Thinking about buying a ketone meter plus ketone test strips, just to see where I am at - and also to see if IF fasting affects levels and to what degree.
Not sure if this ketone meters & strips are available via a diabetes doctor (maybe on the NHS or health insurance)?

Reactions: Zinadane

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At my last annual review the nurse insisted I had ketone meter and strips added to my prescription list.
I have also never tested for ketones. If my bg gets into the teens I tend to deal with it ASAP.
Not sure, but I guess you need to be into the high teens for longer periods of time before ketones come into play?

Reactions: SugarBuzz

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
i only test for ketones if I’m not well , have an infection , or blood sugar runs high for no apparent reason I use my libre blood meter to check , I have ketone sticks on repeat prescription , I use them rarely but always have a supply

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 you should have access to proper blood glucose testing strips, mainly for sickness purposes. I found that out after an A+E visit. I very rarely use them as they are expensive and would feel terribly guilty using them without a very real concern for ketones. Your Gp should prescribe.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I never tested for blood ketones until about 4 years ago when I mentioned to my diabetes consultant that I'd never had a DKA and didn't test for ketones. She promptly gave me a testing meter that checks for ketones and I have a repeat prescription for 1 box of 10 strips a month (might be every 3 months).

Now I use them if I am feeling queasy/ill and/or my bg is persistently high. (Still haven't ever managed a level higher than 1.6, when I was ill?) My (possibly incorrect) understanding that anything under 0.6 is perfectly normal for someone not on a keto diet.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
I never tested for blood ketones until about 4 years ago when I mentioned to my diabetes consultant that I'd never had a DKA and didn't test for ketones. She promptly gave me a testing meter that checks for ketones and I have a repeat prescription for 1 box of 10 strips a month (might be every 3 months).

Now I use them if I am feeling queasy/ill and/or my bg is persistently high. (Still haven't ever managed a level higher than 1.6, when I was ill?) My (possibly incorrect) understanding that anything under 0.6 is perfectly normal for someone not on a keto diet.

I guess that is the grey area with insulin dependant diabetics. At what point does any keto diet and or form of fasting become a concern regarding ketone levels? I mean that is the whole point on a keto diet - and if doing a "detox fast-body reset" fast it is my understanding that you NEED to get the ketones up to a certain level or it simply will not work (that´s why they need to be done over several days to make sure all glycogen stores are burnt off first etc.).

I also read 0.6 is "normal" and that anything over 1 and a high blood sugar level would require insulin. And anything over 2 with the same high blood sugar level a medical intervention of some kind.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM