ketones

johnny37

Anyone had Keto Acidosis ? What was your experience? I had it recently. When I got to A&E my bg was 52. My control is not great. Hypo most days. As a result I have been requested to add ketone testing strips to my repeat prescription. I guess it is not something that happens very often. I think the containers would probable not be opened at all unless I routinely. test for ketones every time I hypo. How many strips should I order. When should they be used?

Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ketones are dangerous when you have high blood sugar not low, so you shouldn't need to test for them when hypo - for a start hypo treatment is more important :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Before I began insulin, I tested for blood ketones only when my blood sugars were consistently higher than 13 mmol/l.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone had Keto Acidosis ? What was your experience? I had it recently. When I got to A&E my bg was 52. My control is not great. Hypo most days. As a result I have been requested to add ketone testing strips to my repeat prescription. I guess it is not something that happens very often. I think the containers would probable not be opened at all unless I routinely. test for ketones every time I hypo. How many strips should I order. When should they be used?

Thanks
Hello hypo is a low blood sugar, which doesn't show ketones. Ketones only show when a type 1 diabetic is insulin deficient, dehydrated and peeing excessively. Thats when testing for ketones is vital because it is dangerous. You only test for ketones if you're running high for too long - consistently above 14mmol/l however one test of an odd high reading like for example, 17mmol/l will show ketones but very little, I think if you're above 3-4 thats when you need the hospital, when you're unwell and when someone doesn't take their insulin. I was in the deep end of DKA when I was first diagnosed, one urine test and I was off to the hospital for emergency insulin.
Nowadays we are told to get a blood meter that does both blood test and blood ketones, blood ketones are more accurate compared to urine ketone sticks. You usually get 10 ketone strips in a box?