Ketones

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Me again apart from lots of health problems I still get ketones with normal blood sugar, they were 1.00 this morning on getting up, and I get them after meals I know because I'm get so cold, I eat carbs and have 3 meals a day, I have been losing weight after covid a year ago, unintentionally. Lately more than ever, consultant puzzled, gp not really interested , consultant still tells me not to test ketones and doesn't know why I'm losing weight, was referred to remote cancer nurse on video call , I think it's ketones making me lose weight, but I take regular insulin and sugar levels not high? I can measure 4 hours after eating and have them, l also seem so cold all the time, I just don't seem to get anywhere with an medical professional knowing why, I'm spending a fortune on ketone test strips as so worried, this has been going on over a year and all I'm told is don't test them, weight lose quite worrying. Anyone any idea

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Weight loss and ketones go hand in hand.
The ketones are usually from your body burning body fat.

If you are eating enough and your BG is fine then no real idea.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How high do the ketones go? My (limited) understanding is that ketones in themselves aren't necessarily dangerous, folk on a keto diet have them much higher than 1 without issue. Are they making you feel queasy though? (and hence suppressing appetite.)

But I agree that I would be really concerned about the weight loss too. You mention hypothyroidism in an earlier post. Are you confident that your thyroid medication is correct. Have you tried eating more? (Snacks between meals etc).

What did the cancer nurse have to say? Have you had cancer previously? (I can't quite see what a remote conversation would do without a previous cancer diagnosis but I am not a doctor).

Then I guess long covid is the possible elephant in the room, and people just don't know much about it yet. But on the other hand most people do recover from it (eventually), so in that case you might have to be patient.

Sorry to have so many questions and so few answers. Lots of virtual hugs.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a completely wild wild stab in the dark have you been tested for any intolerances or anything?

I only asked because when I was between 25 and 30 I was unintentionally slowly losing weight with no obvious reason, it was a slow weight loss but I was always hungry and eating about 3 times as much as anyone else, my parents were getting worried because I was starting to look thinner and thinner everytime they saw me (about every 6 months due to distance) - I was quite underweight at one point despite eating really quite a lot

As it turned out I had coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) and the only real noticeable side effect I had was quite a lot of farting (and well I'd always been quite farty) - it did not make me feel ill, and eating gluten was in effect causing malnutrition in me cos I think it meant I wasn't absorbing most of the nutrients I was eating (thanks immune system - coeliac disease was a great 30th birthday present ... not!!!)

As I said its a complete shot in the dark, may be a long way off the mark, I was not testing for ketones at the time so don't know if they were present

Reactions: EllieM