Ketones

Philbrown1

Can anyone tell me if they test there ketones? If so how many times a day and do you use blood or urine? I currently use urine but have been hearing alot about the benefits of using blood. What do you think?

josie38

HI phil,

I normally on test for ketones when my sugars are really high (t1) and my blood monitor has test strips for it.

My consultant has told me that it is a more accurate way of testing for them.

Other members may say different........

Josie

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
My blood sugar levels are very unstable at the moment (have been having trouble over the last 4-5 months). I get highs of 17 /18 and I do an adjustment bolus injection to correct and then test to make sure that my bs are coming down. I don't check for keytones though as I see quite a quick drop in my sugars. I don't know if this is right - I always thought that bs had to be high for quite a while (12-24 hrs) before starting to worry?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It seems that some people get given ketone blood meter testing equipment after attending carb counting courses or getting a pump. I got one after going on to a pump, but despite having had some high's occasionally, I have never used the ketone meter, as my high's don't last more than 5 hours before coming down safely to normal levels by using the pump.

Most of the occaasional high's have been due to occlusions when using the now withdrawn flex+'s or if I have tried to do an extended or mutiwave dose and messed up....(I think I have now sorted out the multiwave's to work well with me)...

It did worry me why I had been diabetic 26 years without having had a blood ketone meter, and yet going on to a pump and I was given one immediately...however...I think this maybe because my pct are so fantastic with providing their patients with equipment that they need to manage.

If I was higher than 10 for 12 hours or more, then I would definitely be ketone testing...but this is my personal guidleine,,,not stiputlated by anybody, but what I am happy enough with.

If my levels do go above 9, I will always drink a large tumbler of water during the day every hour or 2 until they are down under 8....but again..that is just what works for me.

With the pump, it is easier to bring levels down quicker-once you get all the settings working for you....

I also have 1 box of ketone urine stix, however these again are unopened, and are not on repeat prescription, as I have never had to use any in 25 years+.....(they aren't 25 yars old!!!)

liklejojo

I tend to do the same, I only really test my blood for ketones when I've been high for a little while as most of the time I can get my sugars down within a few hours.. and even these highs are because my pump has kinked or occluded or i've been stupid and not done the right bolus.. oops :)

Must admit though after 15 years of diabetes I tend to develop ketones quicker than when I was younger - has anyone else noticed this???

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
i test my ketones by urine if i get high readings or arent well :)

Philbrown1

I keep hearing that blood ketones give you a more correct reading!? I am still new to all of this so trying to find out more information and see what everyone else does!

Cynthia6

I have been told I have type 2 diabetes and am on Metformin but my blood pressure is always high and I can't get it down can anyone give me advise on what to do.
Also can anyone tell me what keystones is
Thanks

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm usually testing for ketones on a regular basis, if my sugars are above 13, or if im feeling sick :) i test the blood, i wasnt given a machine but i aquired 1 :) but apparently blood is a lot more accurate as ketones can take extra time getting into the urine so you could potentially show a reading of + whereas your ketones may actually be ++

AMBrennan

Thread necro... but anyway, this is a keystone.
400px-keystonesvg.png

Ketones, on the other hand, are a by-product of the body using fat rather than glucose for energy.

Unless you are a T1 diabetic, you probably do not have to worry about ketones. Personally, I don't think that blood ketone testing offers any significant benefits unless you are treating acute DKA - in every day usage, you'd use them to tell if a very high BG is because you forgot a mealtime insulin (no ketones) or if it's more serious (ketones).

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
As a T2 I sometimes use my blood ketone meter to measure the depth of my nutritional ketosis, so I can see how influential dietary and exercise interventions are at enhancing my ketosis.

That's pretty hardcore though, and the strips are very expensive.

Jimmy Moore has done something similar to lose 50lbs.

Garthion

I test for Ketones if my BG has been over 15 for 3 or more tests (usually with an hour between each test) as recommended by my DSN, I've had full blown DKA a few times in the past so know how quickly it can come on, at the time I had no method of testing for Ketones, either blood or Urine, now I have a Blood Ketone meter.
Highest Ketone reading I've had on my meter was 1.8, took double to amount of insulin needed for my meal and re-checked both BG and Ketones after one hour, Ketones 0.5 and BG only slightly higher than I was expecting. Another hour later and it was all back to normal.