Ketones

Pompeygirl

T2 diagnosed. 3/4 months. Trying very low carbs and have lost 2 stone so far. Should i be testing for ketones and should i worry about having them? Is it something that should be avoided? Confused

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Ketones

Hi. Ketones are generally not a problem as long as your blood sugar is within range. Once the sugar goes into the 20s then with ketones (i.e. you are in Ketosis) then you are in danger of Ketoacidosis which means A&E. Ketostix are quite cheap online so you can always get some to be safe.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

Daibell said:
Hi. Ketones are generally not a problem as long as your blood sugar is within range. Once the sugar goes into the 20s then with ketones (i.e. you are in Ketosis) then you are in danger of Ketoacidosis which means A&E. Ketostix are quite cheap online so you can always get some to be safe.

Agree 100% with this.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I concur, if you are attempting a ketogenic diet it's useful to have the ketostix to help find out what level of carbs you can tolerate without dropping out of ketosis, but provided your BG levels remain low there no real need to test. Cheapest place to get ketostix I've found it the diabetes.co.uk online shop

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

Some blood glucose monitors are also capable of measuring blood ketones,however,the strips are very expensive.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Once the sugar goes into the 20s then with ketones (i.e. you are in Ketosis) then you are in danger of Ketoacidosis which means A&E
DKA is extremely rare in T2 diabetics, although of course there is the possibility of a misdiagnosis.