Type 1 Ketosis

haza1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi...
Im new to this forum. Ive been on a LCHF diet for 7 weeks today and im still not in ketosis (ketones mesure 1.5-3.0). I think this is down to my basal still having to be around 30 units p/d. Ive lost 1 stone in weight but throughout the 7 weeks my blood ketones have been no bigger than 0.7 im seriously confused. Has anyone got any advice on how to get my basal down without having high sugars? My diet macros are 80 fat/15pro/5carb. Iv tried lowering my basal dose day to day but find my bs spikes to high????!!!!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What about your Bolus ratio and carb-counting? What are your total daily carbs?

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to maintain the basal in balance with your background blood glucose. As and when, through weight loss, diet or exercise etc, your insulin sensitivity improves will you be able to reduce the basal.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@haza1988 With ketone levels between 1.5 and 3, that would put you squarely in nutritional ketosis, as per the image below from Volek and Phinney. I'm not sure where you think you should be, but hopefully this helps.

optimal-ketosis-range-2.jpg

Reactions: 2 people