Keytones

Cd-astro

Hi all,

So I was diagnosed about 6 and a half months ago with type 1 (I am 25 btw) and so far have been having great control being in the honeymoon periods. Pretty much daily averages between 5 and 7. Recently I've been having a few higher readings but nothing dramatic, below 15mmol/L. Today I've hit just below 15 after breakfast despite doing my normal insulin for it and I'm not going down as per usual, also my keytones are going up. Again nothing dramatic, 0.3. But it got me wondering, at what point do people start getting worried about keytones from experience, and what do you do when your keytones are up, how often do you check?

Might be especially prudent given the current situation as I've never experienced sick day rules so I would appreciate the forewarned advice.

Many thanks,
Charlotte

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Cd-astro

How are you feeling in general - are you coming down with anything ?

Personally I never test for ketones, i'm around 8 years diagnosed and the only time I would test for ketones is if I was running continuously high BG levels above 15 mmol/l and unable to bring my levels down, displaying signs of DKA including pear breath, tired and feeling very unwell. Here are the DAFNE sick day rules which is useful to print off and keep:

http://www.dafne.uk.com/uploads/224...k day rules - Standard.pdf?0.8191162855364382

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately having a cold/virus will raise your BG levels, it's the body's way of responding to infection, are you ok with administering your own correction doses ? the DAFNE sick day rules give guidance on corrections, but if unsure speak to your nurse.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tested for ketones and if you are below, say, 20 mmol short-term you shouldn't need to unless you feel unwell.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tested for ketones and if you are below, say, 20 mmol short-term you shouldn't need to unless you feel unwell.
Actually you are supposed to test for ketones if 2 consecutive tests are over 14mmol, people have produced ketones at lower levels and have ended up in DKA which can strike VERY quickly so your method is actually quite dangerous

Reactions: Trio1

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just completed a type 1 diabetes course and they said 'Test for ketones if glucose over 14 or feeling very unwell, if ketones are '3' then it's 'A&E'. Anything under 3 then keep testing and make adjustments to get your glucose down. They did say these were guidelines so not written in stone, as kaylz said above, DKA can come on rapidly (it did for me and I had NO symptoms whatsoever, I felt great). x

POTS01

I have had 3 dka attacks in my life, none of them were very pleasant. If you are well controlled or on a pump, if you have 2 blood sugars in a row over 13 I would check for ketones. When I was younger I regularly had bs of 20-30 for years without a problem. One day my body had enough and I spent 4 weeks in hospital with dka.