Kidney failure

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband has kidney failure. He's not reached endstage, but the medics say it's only a matter of time and in about 18 months he's likely to need dialysis or a transplant.. We had a meeting with the dialysis nurse yesterday and she went through the options with us and showed us the graph of the decline over several years.. I'e been trying to get his diet appropriate for the situation ie, low carb and low protein. The slope of the graph has got more shallow, so now I'm making food which is mainly veggies with a little fat and small amounts of protein. If he can lose weight it might help with blood pressure too,and help the kidneys cope better. His BP is OK by medic standards, on tablets, but weight loss from 112 Kg [6feet 3 inches BMI around 31] would help. Unfortunately, failing kidneys don't excrete insulin well, so he tends to have too much circulating. too much insulin makes losing weight difficult.
He's already had to reduce his insulin to about 1/3 of what it once was and the nursesays it will go down again.
I'm working hard to make menus which he finds tasty and which fit the needs.
this js just one more complication. He's ad lasered eyes and a vitrectomy, which has pretty much taken the sight of one eye and he has 2 Charcot feet..
I'm writing this not to get sympatrhy. We're coping Ok, but to warn others to keep ttheir blood sugars D)OWN. It's the sugar which damages all the micro blood vessels and leads to all this. T1 didn't manage his BG at first and of course there were no BG meters for self use 40 years ago. Now we have the means to control/monitor diabetes. Everybody should try their hardest to do so.
Hana

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Sorry to hear this Hana and it's a serious reminder to all to keep a close eye on our diabetic control.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sorry :( thankyou for the warning for us all to stay vigilant

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really sorry to read about your husbands problems Hana, best wishes to you both.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i wish you all lots of love and luck and i will keep u in my prayers. i wish i could show this to my friend who is repeatdly ignoring everything and hba1 is still 103 in 2 months into it. and facing tests for his liver and kidneys, he has no idea whats coming if he carrys on ,, makes me angry he ignores it when he should read this and realize .. god bless xx

K

Kat100

It is so easy to forget about the sugar, even though we all may try to at times....
What a sad reminder...."
Take care both of you .......Kat x

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Flippin' heck Hana, I am sorry, I know you didn't post to get sympathy but I reckon most of us feel fortunate not to be in such a situation, he is lucky to have you but he probably knows that already :)

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes it's easy to forget that diabetes, T1 or T2, is for life and needs to be dealt with every day whether we like or not. Thank you sweetie. Take care and hugs to your husband.

Reactions: 3 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry to hear that OHs condition has deteriorated.
I wonder if you have looked at the Davita Website, its from the US (but don't hold that against it!) , there are a lot of recipes on the site which are labelled according to suitability for the different CKD stages(and D ) , and also for potassium levels . There is also a forum which I haven't investigated but certainly has recent posts.
http://www.davita.com/recipes/

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Hannah, sorry to hear that your hubby isn't well, I am sure that with your help he will do as well as possible. Thank you for sharing this post, it will serve as a stark reminder for us all.

Reactions: 2 people