Kidney stones...

The Governor

I've not been on here for a long while now... I've been bimbling along quite happily, maintaining good HBA1C levels, on top of my diet and generally feeling okay.

This week, I have been brought down by a kidney stone, and it got me wondering could there be any diabetes link? Or perhaps a link between them and Metformin?

Does anyone have any opinions, or indeed experience of stones? Mine hasn't passed yet, so I am currently suffering severe bouts of pain :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There is over 100 possible causes of Kidney Stones so it is difficult to tell what the exact cause is without thorough investigations. There are suggestions that there may be some link with diet and possibly Diabetes, however all are at present tenuous. With so many possible causes it is difficult if not impossible to give a full answer. This is something that you really need to discuss with an expert.

Here is a link with much information which may be helpful:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/ ... causes.htm

As an example there is this article from 2007 which says there may be a link to Diabetes:

(Reuters Health) - Recent studies suggest that the incidence of kidney stones is increasing, both in the U.S. and worldwide, and data compiled by researchers at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, suggest that diabetes may be a predisposing factor, particularly for kidney stones composed of uric acid.

Full article here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTON07920820070130

Ken

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
In regards to the Metformin, there does not seem to be a connection, certainly not in the BNF and several medical sites.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not pleasant, I know it's painful ( I haven't had one but the pain has been compared to childbirth and that I know about) . Heres hoping it passes quickly.
It seems that the type of mineral that forms the stone can sometimes give an indication as to the cause. Otherwise it maybe down to some or all of genes, age, gender, diet, blood pressure and even climate. No consolation but it's apparently one of the most common disorders of the urinary tract.

http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/kidney-stones.php seems to be a good factual article.
and this US one demolishes a few myths and suggests possible measures to avoid future problems
http://www.nih.gov/news/WordonHealth/nov2002/kidneystones.htm

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I had a kidney stone about 5-6 years before being diagnosed as diabetic, it is very painful and lasted a few weeks. I have no idea if it's passed but I guess it must have done because I haven't had any trouble since.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get over it soon.

louiseb

I have had several kidney stones some I have passed naturally and the pain that this causes I can not even describe it is horrific, I am also currently on the waiting list for a small surgical lazer procedure carried out under general anaesthetic to remove a stone that has got stuck in my urinary tract.
I cant say what might have caused your stone you will need a metabolic assessment carred out which will involve you collecting 24 hours worth of urine which will then be examined at hospital lab.
the best advice I can give is to drink LOTS of water the more you drink the better chance you have of passing it naturally which is always better than having surgical intervention.
also you should make sure your gp prescribes some strong pain killers as the pain can be quite unbearable.
also you could ask your gp to possibly prescribe flomax it is a drug that normally treats prostate disease but can be used to treat kidney stones and help them pass as it relaxes the urinary tract making it easier to pass the stone if the stone is small enough.
if you have alot of difficulty passing urine develop a fever or start vomitting go to casualty straight away as in extreme cases kidney stones can case complications leading to kidney damage even failure.
I hope you are feeling better soon you have my sympathy I know just how painful this can be.
im not sure if diabetes has anything to do with getting kidney stones but as told by urinalogist that fact I have crohns disease has contributed to me getting the kidney stones

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I don't have diabetes and did have kidney stones in my early 20's. The main cause is dehydration, even for a short time like 10-12 hours. If you are at work and not drinking enough - this was me - you need to stop and have a drink now and again. More water should be drunk in the morning and your kidneys should be able to wind down and rest a bit overnight.

I also had gall stones so maybe I am a bit prone to stone forming. I've been okay for the past 10 years and am careful to drink enough and I don't drink alcohol and mainly decaf coffee.

The pain is dreadful and I'd actually say worse than childbirth.