Kippers

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Glad to know they're still there.
When I used to work in Aberdeen, the company used to ship in smokies, and the chef used to make batches of fresh bread, so it was half a hot fresh loaf and 3 or 4 smokies for breakfast every day.

Reactions: hankjam

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Thanks for your replies and I may well order some of the smokies online. Why is it red on the label (high) for the saturated fat? Is this nothing to worry about.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kippers are less than three percent saturated fat - those traffic light indicators are mostly nonsensical when it comes to understanding the nutritional values of a food.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I had some kippers for lunch today (the ones you get in a pack with a knob of butter). They are very high in calories (270g per 100g) of a 200g pack and also the SF content was high too 10g.

From the nutritional value, they don't sound very healthy but I thought I would give them a go for a change to have for lunch (I had them on their own, nothing else) and I was hoping to have them say once a week.

Does anyone else have these despite the 'unhealthy' sounding nutritional value?
Hi my favourites are from Aldi with peppers and chilli flavours I eaten whole pack nothing else my BG has been ok only have a couple of times a week.I don't eat carbs only what's in the veg and protein I have with my meals,although they probably are just has high in calories I often skip a meal so it evens all this out.

Reactions: Prem51 and carina62

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi my favourites are from Aldi with peppers and chilli flavours I eaten whole pack nothing else my BG has been ok only have a couple of times a week.I don't eat carbs only what's in the veg and protein I have with my meals,although they probably are just has high in calories I often skip a meal so it evens all this out.

Thanks for that, I think i'll pop into Aldi sometime and see if I can get some of those, they sound delicious.

Today all I ate for lunch was 2 peppered mackrell fillets and 50g of lentils with it. I also added a very small amount of horseradish sauce as it goes so well with mackrell. I am yet to test 2HPM but I'm confident it will be an OK reading :)

Reactions: harryson and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
50gmof lentils is 10 gm of carb - they are quite a high carb food at 20 percent - I stick to things below 10 percent - except grapes, which I try to ration.
Having low carb foods does limit the damage they can do, or rather what you can do to yourself by over indulging..

Reactions: Prem51 and carina62

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
50gmof lentils is 10 gm of carb - they are quite a high carb food at 20 percent - I stick to things below 10 percent - except grapes, which I try to ration.
Having low carb foods does limit the damage they can do, or rather what you can do to yourself by over indulging..

Where can I get a list of veg/fruit which are lower in carbs? I've got carbs & cals app on my phone but I don't have the book, maybe I should get it.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope this helps
IMG_1485537539.107615.jpg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I just google the foods I don't eat. I used to have a couple of postcards with low carb foods listed.
I eat celery, cucumber, lettuce, mushrooms, peppers, radish, aubergine avocado, broccoli, cabbage cauliflower, celeriac, courgette, French beans leeks onion pumpkin spaghetti squash tomato turnip water chestnuts, and small amounts of peas. I have bags of mixed vegetables in the freezer which are the lowest option available in the cabinet.
I avoid grains, starchy vegetables and most fruits other than berries.

Reactions: Prem51

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi Carina62 the carbs and calls book is good I was told about it around 18 moths.ago when I joined the LCHF group be carful with fruits some of them are high in sugar try sticking with berries they tend to be lower but you still need to restrict the amount you eat. I have 100ml full fat Greek Yogurt and no more than 2 strawberries and 10 bluerries hope this is a little help wish you well.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may be corrected on this as I am not absolutely sure but I thought it was healthy for the heart to have three portions of oily fish a week! I usually manage two! mainly sardines or mackerel in tins. I just really love fish so it is not too hard for me! Really filling and my cholesterol is always full of good oils (which I like to attribute to the fish!) Super food in my opinion! Blow the calories!

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning I have fish at some point every day,(5am)porridge with raspberries or blueberries for a small breakfast (9am)one Lidl's roll toasted cut in half with two poached eggs 1pm 1 of the following Yellow Haddock/Salmon/Hecks sausages/skinless grilled chicken breast with Broccoli+Cauliflower+Brussels+Tinned Tomatoes+Mushrooms a+1 half glass of very weak sugar free orange(4pm)Sardines or mackerel toasted Lidl roll,that'smy lot until tomorrow;)

ps +1 small apple and 1 satsuma every day bed at 9pm up at 4am

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some kippers for lunch today (the ones you get in a pack with a knob of butter). They are very high in calories (270g per 100g) of a 200g pack and also the SF content was high too 10g.

From the nutritional value, they don't sound very healthy but I thought I would give them a go for a change to have for lunch (I had them on their own, nothing else) and I was hoping to have them say once a week.

Does anyone else have these despite the 'unhealthy' sounding nutritional value?
Hi i eat them once a week no problem. All things in moderation