Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I havn't read the abstract but I can attest that LCHF is definitely anti inflammatory for me personally.
So much so that if by some fluke someone said 'Actually, there was a mix up, you do not have T2' I would still low carb.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As far as I am concerned, keto or low carbing hasn't helped with my knees (or hips, back and neck) but fasting did. During my five day fast, on about day 3, I noticed that my joint pain was lessening and by the end of the fast I was zooming up and down stairs which I've been struggling with for the last few years. I'm assuming this was brought about by Autophagy. Sadly it didn't last long, about five days, but it was wonderful while it lasted.

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has certainly helped my bad knee. Sadly, I also have a damaged cartilage in that knee and it hasn't repaired that.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My knee got worse with keto , i had to have a steroid injection as it couldn't sleep the pain was so bad. I have read that keto can make joint pain worse to begin with because it is your body healing old wounds. I do hope so , but since the injection i have had very slight pain and sleep better when i am not having panic attacks during the night . I also made an olive oil and lemon juice rub and i swear it has helped lol .

Also when i first started keto my joint pain in my fingers did improve and the trigger finger improved, but now its just the same with morning pain and trigger finger so don't know what to think .

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It didn't with me , i was 21lbs lighter and that is when the pain started . I was in agony .
Oh dear. I lost a lot of weight in 2004/2005 and ended up with my gall bladder being removed so I can see your point.

My ex wife and her mother had issues with their joints and it was arthritis that caused it. I recall my ex wife taking oily supplements that helped. But am guessing your issues are not the same?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. I lost a lot of weight in 2004/2005 and ended up with my gall bladder being removed so I can see your point.

My ex wife and her mother had issues with their joints and it was arthritis that caused it. I recall my ex wife taking oily supplements that helped. But am guessing your issues are not the same?
Osteoarthritis and bursitis very painful , i can't even go swimming now as it aggravates it .

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost a couple of stones on LCHF. Don't know whether it was the diet or the weight loss but my knees no longer threaten to buckle going up and down stairs.

Reactions: Listlad

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as I am concerned, keto or low carbing hasn't helped with my knees (or hips, back and neck)

It is not possible to tell if it has stop them getting worce as quickly as they would have.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have osteoarthritis in my neck, hands and feet. My neck and fingers have improved since low carbing, so as non weight bearing joints I believe it wasn’t the weight loss but anti inflammatory effect that produced the benefit. My feet although they benefitted a little they were too far gone to avoid surgery. However I’m sure the metalwork in my feet will appreciate not having to carry the extra six and a half stone!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb and low fat.... doesn't leave much else!

I hope the low carb does the biz as my knees are not in great shape...
It was low carb compared to low fat compared to "normal" a 3 way trial.

D

Deleted Account

My mother is in her late 70s and does not limit her diet in any way.
Apart from appendicitis, she has had no medical conditions in 50 years.
She exercises regularly which I believe maintains flexibility and strengthens her joints.

My MIL is 10 years younger, and eats similarly, does not exercise and needs both hips and knees replaced.

I realise this is a small sample but I will focus on exercise to maintain strength and joints but will avoid pounding the pavements to protect my knees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: therower

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Weightloss didn't apply for me because I didn't lose a huge amount. Neither did too much excercise or pounding the pavement as I didn't do that either.