Type 1 Lack of sleep

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
So recently i did a nightshift at work, came home had a little 4 hour sleep as i wanted to get to bed early that night being last night but i barely slept at all meaning im feeling rather sleep deprived, what i wanna ask is does this cause your blood sugars to be unstable(little sleep) as ive experienced a fair few hypo's these past 3 days

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There was a thread the other day discussing the same thing, some say lack of sleep makes their bg go higher but there's nothing to say that it can't go the other way, if you've changed your insulin regime whilst working nights and changed it back again this might explain why your having all these hypo's.....however I can't say for sure so it might be worth doing some basal testing first then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's if that's is not the problem.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lack of sleep unstabilises my blood sugar. I am more prone to lows, getting irritable and stressed which trips me into hypoglycaemia. Then I eat high carb comfort food, and go too high...

I've learned (and it has taken decades), that the best thing I can do at times of major stress and/or sleep deprivation is to have a full fried breakfast, or a big roast dinner (minus toast and roasties).

Of course, that won't necessarily work for everyone...

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't get stressed easily but when I do mine tends to go the other way and ends up high, it does depends upon the type of stress as sometimes I think I should be high and I'm not and vise-a-versa. The last time my bg was through the roof with stress was when I was teaching my son to drive......:rolleyes:

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Well what i found weird was on my nightshift i checked my bloodsugar before i started and it was 7 i ate 15grams of carb before i started and i went the whole 8 hours without eating with a 5 minute break and didnt have a hypo which is crazy for me, i mostly experience hypos 2-3 hours into 50% of my shifts what made it different at night?

lewisf94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
And what is insulin to carb ratio? I genuinly just inject 1u of novorapid to each 10 carb i consume

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insulin to carb ratio is different for everyone. You generally start by doing 1 unit of insulin for every 10g of carbs and then adjust from there until you know exactly what your body needs for every 10g of carbs :)
That's what my doctor told me anyway ! Hope it helps