Lactose free milk

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry just doing a quick online shop, it hasn't got info showing, is lactose free milk low in carbohydrates?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've never tried it.. But the carb content looks about the same...?

Someone feel free to slap me if I'm wrong...
I looked at various sources with nutritional value on LF claiming about the same..? One was to my mind, a little more "optimistic."

Reactions: Loukay1

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Arla lactose free milk full fat is 5.6g/200mls, semi-skimmed is 6g/200mls and skimmed is 7.2/200mls according to Tesco.com. I use unsweetened roasted almond milk it's carb free :happy:

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Arla lactose free milk full fat is 5.6g/200mls, semi-skimmed is 6g/200mls and skimmed is 7.2/200mls according to Tesco.com. I use unsweetened roasted almond milk it's carb free :happy:
Thanks, I'm allergic to nuts aswell, I cannae win lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Semi-Skimmed Milk is 4.8g/100ml so a 200ml serving would be 9.6g, Skimmed Milk is 5g/100ml so 200ml would be 10g.

Full-Fat Milk is slightly lower than the other two at 4.7g/100ml (9.4g for a 200ml serving).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Semi-Skimmed Milk is 4.8g/100ml so a 200ml serving would be 9.6g, Skimmed Milk is 5g/100ml so 200ml would be 10g.

Full-Fat Milk is slightly lower than the other two at 4.7g/100ml (9.4g for a 200ml serving).
A different make perhaps? I just took the numbers off Tesco.com as an example.

EDIT Oh just realised you've quoted normal milk as a comparison! Sorry my mistake :shy:

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've never tried it.. But the carb content looks about the same...?

Someone feel free to slap me if I'm wrong...
I looked at various sources with nutritional value on LF claiming about the same..? One was to my mind, a little more "optimistic."

SLAP...!! (oops sorry hope that wasn't to hard)

Arla Lactofree full fat has 2.7g of carbs per 100ml (according to the waitrose website)
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/lactofree-whole-fresh-milk/724789-102966-102967
Regular waitrose full fat has 4.7g of carbs per 100ml
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...-whole-milk-36-fat-4-pints/053404-26711-26712
Cravendale Full Fat has the same as the Waitrose regular..

I have the Arla lactofree in my tea..

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The mistake is all mine @Rachox , realise now that you were mentioning the full-range of Arla Lacto-Free Milk. Apologises.
No worries! I just stick to unsweetened almond milk, no carbs at all to worry about! ;)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really don't like almond milk at all @Rachox , suppose like a lot of foods it's an acquired taste.
I only like the roasted version and I mix it with coffee or sugar free Crusha milk shake mix. It goes especially well with the banana or vanilla :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I only like the roasted version and I mix it with coffee or sugar free Crusha milk shake mix. It goes especially well with the banana or vanilla :p

That is how I came to taste it, a neighbour made me a coffee as I was doing some gardening for them, just couldn't stand the taste at all.

But as said earlier, anyone looking to reduce their carb intake should have a go at buying the lacto-free milk, taste wise it's fine and no difference to normal milk.

lindisfel

Expert
Most lactose free tastes sweeter than the normal version because they are not truly lactose free! Lactase is added and in the process it seperates the two sugars in the milk. I didn't think any carb is lost in the process? Any chemists here? D.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SLAP...!! (oops sorry hope that wasn't to hard)

Arla Lactofree full fat has 2.7g of carbs per 100ml (according to the waitrose website)
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/lactofree-whole-fresh-milk/724789-102966-102967
Regular waitrose full fat has 4.7g of carbs per 100ml
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...-whole-milk-36-fat-4-pints/053404-26711-26712
Cravendale Full Fat has the same as the Waitrose regular..

I have the Arla lactofree in my tea..

Thanks for the slap @bulkbiker ... I feel less hysterical now! ;)
Seriously, that's good to know.
I've honestly never thought of the LF stuff. (Let alone tried it.)

Most lactose free tastes sweeter than the normal version because they are not truly lactose free! Lactase is added and in the process it seperates the two sugars in the milk. I didn't think any carb is lost in the process? Any chemists here? D.

This is what I thought happened with the process?
Or at least the sugar was brewed to alcahol... :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the slap @bulkbiker ... I feel less hysterical now! ;)
Seriously, that's good to know.
I've honestly never thought of the LF stuff. (Let alone tried it.)

This is what I thought happened with the process?
Or at least the sugar was brewed to alcahol... :D

Its a small diff but when you're trying to be very low carb every little bit helps.. Also I have quite a few cups of tea every day.