Lactus verses Levimir

SarahW

Hi all

Has anyone out there ever swopped from lanctus onto levimer? I am insulin resistant so we are going to give it a try to see if it brings about any changes? If anyone has what where the pro's and con's so I can look out for them. Have also piled on loads of weight since being on insulin/lanctus (2yrs) has anyone seen a difference in that area by swopping to levimer? (Can but live in hope eh!) lol

Many Thanks

Milly

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Milly
sorry you are having problems, I doubt very much that you're insulin resistant though. I was on Lantus for 4 and a half years, thought that too; had loads of probs with it and was so ill and tired.
Why are you considering switching to Levemir? There are other medications available including real insulin, that is purified animal insulin. You are on synthetic insulin, not insulin at all, that may be the problem.
I was on synthetic insulins for 19 years, switched to purified pork insulin last May, and my contrl is best it's ever been and I feel well, (not today though, got my kids' lergy!)
For further advice I strongly suggest you contact the IDDT, their number is on the website.
Good luck
Jus

SarahW

Re: Lanctus verses Levimir

Hi Janabelle

Swopping over to "give it a try" to see if alters anything. Think they think I am insulin resistant because I have PCOS and also that coupled with the huge weight gain and generally just needing more and more background and corrective doses which dont seem to work. I can eat a yogurt and a few strawberries can be at 5 and then next thing I'm at 15. Some days better than others with no rhyme or reason. I too feel totally ill, cant explain how tired I feel as its beyond tired. Cannot get of the couch physically most nights after getting in from work and if I eat anything like cake or white bread or go on holiday or something my sugars go through the roof for days/weeks on end even if having the correct fast acting to compensate. They also keep mentioning going on a pump but Im really not into it. Thanks for the info, will have a look at the site. How did you end up on animal insulin then? Did you push for it?

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Re: Lanctus verses Levimir

Hi Milly, sounds like hell, i's so sorry you're feeling so miserable and ill, it certainly sounds familiar.
How long have you been diagnosed type-1?
I became ill pretty much as soon as I started taking Lantus, though I didn't make the link till 4 years later! It started with strange symptoms of anxiety, then joint pains, expecially in upper body. My control was dreadful, blood sugars all over the place, but as it was never suggested by my doctors that it was my insulin, I thought there was something wrong with me. I had days when my insulin didn't seem to work at all, despite taking my usual Lantus and loads of Humalog. Other days I'd be hypo all day, there was no pattern to it. After about a year the severe exhaustion set in, I felt like I was being poisoned, I was out of it most days. I'd just lay and cry and wonder why I felt like I was dying. My sister had to help me look after my kids, and my husband took so much time off work. I was told I had fybromyalgia(similar to ME), I was relieved to have a diagnosis, but part of me didnt believe it.
I had so many other side-effects (you can read previous postings if u wish), but it was April last year,while having another bad day, that my husband said "do you think it's your insulin", sounds stupid, but I really hadnt thought of it before. I then realised I had only become ill since going on Lantus, and contacted the IDDT for advice. I was so shocked and upset, and still feel angry about it to this day. I felt different as soon as I stopped taking Lantus, and have felt great since. My blood sugar control is consistant and predictable, and I know now that the Lantus just was not working.
I urge you again to contact the IDDT, and consider trying animal insulin. Sounds like it's worth a try.
I didnt have a struggle to get it from my hospital, although I was prepared for one. I just told them straight I was not going to take Lantus anymore, I also knew I had the support of the IDDT, and that helped a lot. It was a very emotional time.
I think it's shameful that doctors are not listening to the probs of their patients and ignoring and sometimes lying about the existance and availability of REAL insulin. There needs to be choice.
I hope very much that changing your insulin will resolve your current problems; It may not be the answer but definately worth a try. Do you have any other unpleasant symptoms similar to the ones I had?
Jus

SarahW

Hi Again

Yes lots of things are similar, sometimes I get aches in my legs that keep me awake all night. I too am crying alot and infront of strangers aswell which I would never have done before. I also feel like my personality has changed. I am really uptight and moody and if pushed aggressive. I never used to say anything to anyone about anything and be really placid. I also have two kiddies one at 4 and one at 5 and sometimes am totally overwhelmed with their generally day to day care. Luckily I have a fantastic mother who comes in and looks after me and them! My husband is also great. I do get really upset about my control, weight, tiredness and generally feeling very low. Somtimes I know its pathetic but I think and feel like perhaps there is nothing more they can do and perhaps I am dying! I am at the moment thinking of giving up work to concentrate on my health as feel I cant cope with kids, job and diabetes. ( I know it sounds really lazy doesnt it and coming from someone who has worked all her life the decision is not to be taken lightly. If I did give up I would feel like a failure)

I have been diabetic for 3 years, the first year they thought I was a type 2 diabetic and then decided no type 1. Been on Lantus since the start along with novorapid so dont really know any different.

Thanks for the advice Janabelle. Has given me real food for thought. Think will hang on a little longer and see how it goes with this levimer but if not getting the results think will deffo go down your route. Think I will have a battle on my hands though. Is your insulin in pens or is it back to huge needles etc. Sorry to sound soooo pathetic by the way! Thats just it you see I used to be such a happy, positive character full of life and energy and cannot believe where this is going for me

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Hi Milly, u sound like I did. You're not pathetic, you have a lot to deal with- it's hard enough looking after young children without the challenges you have. You have described many things that could indicate that you are intollerant to synthetic insulin, and I urge you very strongly to consider at least contacting the IDDT, I'll send you a private message with their telephone number.
Take care
Jus