LADA & Weight Loss

DaveEK

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not your typical build for a type 2 (1.85m & 76kg) I was diagnosed in August 2017. My HBa1C was 85. I followed a fairly strict reduced carb diet (ave 160g), took my Metformin each day & averaged around 5.7 blood glucose. After three months my HBa1C was 41& everybody said I was a good boy.

But in that time my weight dropped by 10kg to 66kg; my BMI to19. The solution, according to the medics was to relax my diet. I was taking it too seriously. So I upped my carbs to around 180 per day, and my blood glucose average went up to 6.0 but at best this just halted the weight loss.

I asked my GP to arrange an appointment with a dietitian. They are not used to dealing with skinny type 2s, but she did say perhaps I was LADA.

A blood test showed a GAD score of >2000. My GP has now referred me the local hospital & I am waiting for that appointment.

I read a forum reply (from DaiBell) in which he said that LADA was associated with sudden weight loss. Well I certainly tick that box. But what is the answer? Presumably I will be on insulin sooner or later but surely this will require me to be more rather than less vigilant about my carb intake. Or will my body start behaving normally again once the LADA is under control.

Tennisplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not your typical build for a type 2 (1.85m & 76kg) I was diagnosed in August 2017. My HBa1C was 85. I followed a fairly strict reduced carb diet (ave 160g), took my Metformin each day & averaged around 5.7 blood glucose. After three months my HBa1C was 41& everybody said I was a good boy.

But in that time my weight dropped by 10kg to 66kg; my BMI to19. The solution, according to the medics was to relax my diet. I was taking it too seriously. So I upped my carbs to around 180 per day, and my blood glucose average went up to 6.0 but at best this just halted the weight loss.

I asked my GP to arrange an appointment with a dietitian. They are not used to dealing with skinny type 2s, but she did say perhaps I was LADA.

A blood test showed a GAD score of >2000. My GP has now referred me the local hospital & I am waiting for that appointment.

I read a forum reply (from DaiBell) in which he said that LADA was associated with sudden weight loss. Well I certainly tick that box. But what is the answer? Presumably I will be on insulin sooner or later but surely this will require me to be more rather than less vigilant about my carb intake. Or will my body start behaving normally again once the LADA is under control.
Hello. I am newly diagnosed LADA and having identical struggles with weight loss. My doc took me off of Metformin when my antibody test results came in and put me on Tresiba. I manage my blood sugar with a somewhat restricted carb diet. With that, I too can maintain stable weight. Recently, my pancreas took a mini holiday and my readings went through the roof. I consulted my clinic and was told that this happens with LADA. Because I don't want to see those high readings, I reduced my food intake and lost a bit more weight- even with increased fat and protein intake. It seems to me that I could start bolus insulin (want to delay this stage as long as I can) during these times in order to eat more and maintain my weight but I fear hypos once my own insulin production kicks in again. This is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever tried to control, and I like control. Interested in hearing what experienced LADA folk suggest.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I am newly diagnosed LADA and having identical struggles with weight loss. My doc took me off of Metformin when my antibody test results came in and put me on Tresiba. I manage my blood sugar with a somewhat restricted carb diet. With that, I too can maintain stable weight. Recently, my pancreas took a mini holiday and my readings went through the roof. I consulted my clinic and was told that this happens with LADA. Because I don't want to see those high readings, I reduced my food intake and lost a bit more weight- even with increased fat and protein intake. It seems to me that I could start bolus insulin (want to delay this stage as long as I can) during these times in order to eat more and maintain my weight but I fear hypos once my own insulin production kicks in again. This is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever tried to control, and I like control. Interested in hearing what experienced LADA folk suggest.

I was a semi-pro tennis player.

Where do you play?

What is your current HBA1c?

Andrew

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, yes that was me. LADA is commonly associated with unexpected weight loss as the body doesn't produce enough insulin and starts burning stored fat for energy. This happened to me before diagnosis as my weekly gym weigh-ins showed increasing weight loss and my wife suggested I eat and drink more which sadly included carby stuff which was bad news. You need to have enough protein and fats to keep your energy intake up but until you start insulin you won't be able to metabolise carbs adequately. I suspect the hospital will start you on insulin which for me was salvation after years of mis-diagnosis and all the tablets as I was and still am officially diagnosed as 'T2'. Insulin is a nuisance and but not a problem and manages T1/LADA very well.

Tennisplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Where do you play?

Andrew
Hi Andrew. Perhaps I should change my username to tennisfan. I play club level tennis in the states which means I'm not much of a player I am afraid :). My last official HBA1c was 7.1 but I was still being treated as a type 2 and wasn't taking any insulin. Hoping for better results in June.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Where do you play?

Andrew
Hi Andrew, I have to confess to doing you an injustice! I read your post, and couldn't find any mention of tennis in the preceding ones, so I thought, "Good grief, this chap is so obsessed with tennis, he drags it in everywhere, appropriate or not!" Only when I read Tennisplayer's reply did I realise that the clue was in his pseudo!!! Apologies! (But I hope this makes you smile.)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No worries Alexandra...and you must start playing tennis this summer, it's a great sport!

Reactions: Tennisplayer

DaveEK

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know I am not alone with my symptoms. I can now begin to have a more informed conversation when I have my hospital appointment.
Cheers

Reactions: Tennisplayer