1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LADA with severe TMJ

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by AnaAinsworth, Jan 23, 2020.

1. AnaAinsworth

AnaAinsworth · Newbie

How do the dentists and doctors expect me to eat if I cannot even open my mouth wide enough for water to go in? Already have high ketones and not much they can do in hospital. Any suggestions? Lost 18 lbs since a couple days ago.

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So sorry you are suffering this. Have they offered you any treatment for the pain? If you're unable to open your mouth to take fluids then I'd have thought the only treatment would be a glucose and liquid drip???? Presumably best done in hospital????

Hope you feel better soon.

3. AnaAinsworth

AnaAinsworth · Newbie

Thanks Ellie, they haven’t offered me anything for the pain. Severe lock at the moment. Have a thing about going to the hospital... not a fan. Have people monitoring me at home. Already have signs of dropping lower than what I’m used to.

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Ana, in the circumstances, could you try something like a milkshake, using a suitable, widish straw, maybe similar to the ones th ey used inMacDonalds? If that would work, then liquidised soups and such like could work too.

If you have ketones, are our blood sugars high or low? If they are high, do not mess with DKA would be my suggestion. I feel they are low, maybe less likely to be heading for DKA, but as a T2 I would be nervy saying anything to definite.

Do you know what caused your lock up? More often than not the locks are with the mouth wide or less wide open. Has your TMJ acrually dislocated or partially dislocated, or is it a big muscular spasm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a similar thing a lot of years ago brought on by extreme stress - for six long months I existed on thinned down diet milkshakes, Complan and milk (with a straw) which i could just about cope with by filtering it through my teeth. What I had was very painful and scary but your DMJ sounds worse so you have my total sympathy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook