Lamb?

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I notice most threads here recommend beef, bacon, high-meat-content sausages, but rarely lamb. Is that because lamb is very high in fat and thus calories?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I notice most threads here recommend beef, bacon, high-meat-content sausages, but rarely lamb. Is that because lamb is very high in fat and thus calories?
High fat content and high calorie meat is not an issue on a low carb diet.

I love lamb and eat it when I can afford it. Neck of lamb and shoulders of lamb, cooked slowly, are relatively cheaper than any other bits.

D

Deleted member 308541

I prefer to eat mutton rather than lamb as I like the taste better.
Dwe01us.gif

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat lamb all the time. The fattier the better - slow cooked breast or shoulder, or air fried ribs. The cheaper cuts, delicious and very nutritious. Lamb heart isn’t bad either, although I couldn’t find a picture of that.

888AFFFF-3EB8-4175-9C49-0488BCDC7BAD.jpeg
DE674D5C-1796-4E03-8E02-9980942A2B82.jpeg

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Lamb is great... one of those nice fatty meats loaded with flavour and I see a slower rise in glucose levels compared to other meats, but that might just be me.

M

Member496333

Well, you can't have any of those without fat.:D

I'd choose fat just after air and water, to be honest. The moment I don't eat enough dietary fat, my body seems to turn to gluconeogenesis within a day. Fatty lamb, pork, beef...whatever...just gimme some fat and lay it on thick. I'm a fully paid-up, card carrying member of the "Fat Hunters" club. But then the grams of carbs I eat in a day can be counted on the fingers of one hand, so not entirely surprising for someone who is already very lean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd choose fat just after air and water, to be honest. The moment I don't eat enough dietary fat, my body seems to turn to gluconegenesis within a day. Fatty lamb, pork, beef...whatever...just gimme some fat and lay it on thick. I'm a fully paid-up, card carrying member of the "Fat Hunters" club. But then the grams of carbs I eat in a day can be counted on the fingers of one hand, so not entirely surprising for someone who is already very lean.

I've been lean all my life, it's clearly genetic. So, even with insulin deficiency these days it is the same for me, but I haven't always been lacking in insulin. Some fat mid-afternoon keeps unwanted glucogenesis at bay I have noticed over the years.

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

what's glucogenisis?

Gluconeogenesis is the process by which the liver makes new glucose and sends it out into the bloodstream. This glucose can be derived from protein or fat. We don’t have to consume glucose in order to stay alive, as the liver will manufacture just enough.

Reactions: Waterfall 888

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it's because our supermarket doesn't carry much lamb or mutton, it's an arm and a leg when they do offer it, and I just sort of forget it exists. But oh yeah, it's mmm-mmm good, for T2's too.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Baaa Humbug - what's not to like about lamb??

I prefer lamb mince over beef and it's a regular on ,my LCHF menu... :D:D

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’m Welsh so lamb comes with the territory, one of my fav is lambs hearts but I have to make them when Missus is out cos it gives her the boak lol

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m Welsh so lamb comes with the territory, one of my fav is lambs hearts but I have to make them when Missus is out cos it gives her the boak lol

How do you cook them? I sliced thinly and fried, but wonder whether slow cooking would be better?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if they were beef or lamb, but my mum used to do roast stuffed hearts fairly regularly when I was a child, which I & my sister loved - but she wouldn't eat offal of any sort, and would only eat lamb or beef "proper" meat.