Lantus and weight

azizdhl

Hi guys..

Do you know any type 1 diabetics that having diabetes for almost 18 years and taking only 0.2 Lantus per kg which is 8 unit in my sister case.

Doctor is saying that she must take 10 units and this 10 units is cause a huge while sleeping (100 points).. Like today as you see in the attached picture she took her lantus at 9:30pm then slept at 1am with 155bg then it goes to 175 then from 2:30 till 6am went down to 65 and I wake her up to take a cup of milk. She took her dinner at 9pm so novorapid doesn't have anything to do with it.

Right now she considering reducing Lantus to 8 units. But the issue here that the doctor told her that she must take 10 units based on her weight

We don't know what to do with that.. We are facing these hypos and doctor refuse to help us

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Right now she considering reducing Lantus to 8 units. But the issue here that the doctor told her that she must take 10 units based on her weight

We don't know what to do with that.. We are facing these hypos and doctor refuse to help us

Ignore the doctor in this case, if its causing hypos then she's taking too much if there is no Novorapid left in her system (I have however found that Novorapid can take upto 6 hours to work for me)
On a weight basis I take 0.17 units per kilo and I've had diabetes for 41 years, anymore and my libre more often than not shows a red line for most of the night - though I tend to have dinner at about 6pm so know there should be no bolus in my system by midnight.

Edit: Whilst weight may be a good way of estimating roughly how much someone may need when starting off, everyone is different and the amount of insulin is very dependent on the person. At a carb counting course I went on recently a few people were taking 3 times the amount of basal as I was and whilst they were heavier than me they weren't even twice my wight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

My understanding (but I am not a doctor) is that the units of insulin per kg is a guideline only.
We need to take as much (or little) insulin to maintain our BG.

I focus on keeping my BG stable.
In fact, I don't think my doctor has any clue how much insulin I take. In my case, they are interested in my BG levels only.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hypos are dangerous, and so are doctors who will not listen - I'd be asking him if he is available to come to treat the hypos he is causing by insisting on what seems to be an overdose - maybe send him the readings you are getting with a note to the effect that he might possibly be wrong.
I don't take insulin, but it really is a bit obvious what is happening to your sister.
She could be producing some insulin, which is why she doesn't need the amount calculated.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The forum rules say we're not allowed to suggest doses.

I'm a moderately stroppy middle aged man, diagnosed T1D when I was 27. Right from the start I was testing and changing doses without consulting with the diabetic team. No dramatic changes, just what I needed to do to keep things in line.

(when I was diagnosed the diabetic team were quite laissez faire, I was largely left to my own devices)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience with lantus, is when it's not right the "danger zones" for a hypo is mostly between 2&3am or 5&6am.

Basal testing & close monitoring would work out what's happening with the dosage & how these patterns occur with the lows. Or indeed any highs..
Link here. https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/
You would need to get back to your doctor with blood sugar records relating to the action of the basal..

Reactions: kev-w

azizdhl

Thank you so much for your help guys
I would go to another doctor to see if he can understand my sister case

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus gave me problems at night so my doctor told me to take it in the morning so I would be awake if a hypo occurred.