Lantus in morning is it right can you take it in morning

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Rang nurse today to let her know my toujeo pen keeps breaking . So she putting me back on lantus in morning wit my novorapid . I took lantus at night before bed but nurse said take it as I would take my toujeo insulin . My question is can you take lantus in morning wit novorapid nurse said yeah but I never taking lantus in morning . Is it ok or not let me know

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Head323 not sure about taking it in the morning like you since ive been on it which is years always took it before bed and Novo rapid in morning? I'm sure someone will advise if they take it in morning keep us informed

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @head323 . You can take lantus in the morning with your novorapid. Thing to consider is lantus is active for around 20/21 hrs in most people. In theory you could have no active basal insulin on board at around 4 am , this is also the time of day when a lot of us suffer with the dawn phenomenon . Ultimately you could find yourself waking with sugars higher than expected.
Have you considered splitting your lantus? Maybe worth asking as it works for a lot on lantus.
Good luck hope this helps.

Reactions: azure

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rang nurse today to let her know my toujeo pen keeps breaking . So she putting me back on lantus in morning wit my novorapid . I took lantus at night before bed but nurse said take it as I would take my toujeo insulin . My question is can you take lantus in morning wit novorapid nurse said yeah but I never taking lantus in morning . Is it ok or not let me know

Your toujeo pen. Disposable or reusable with cartriges..? The reason I ask. Why not try a different device to administer it...?
Reusables can be sturdier....

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
No I never split lantus really if I wanted to I get nurse to tell me my sugars r fine during night I back on lantus as I hate that toujeo insulin pen it light and breaks easy

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Toujeo is new on market I use pens no cartilages out wit this

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Toujeo is new on market I use pens no cartilages out wit this
interesting. I would have thought (like every thing else.) it would have been released in both "formats."

However,
You would need to move your Lantus to the morning in hour increments..? The reason being. If you dosed the night before & started a new'sh regime doing basal in the morning? You would "stack" the lantus this suffering serious hypos the following day??!

One more question. How is your Toujeo pen breaking?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You can take lantus anytime of the day provided you take it around the same time each day, I use to inject before bed then moved it to a morning before eventually settling for a early evening time slot which give me the best coverage.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus can be taken at any time of the day.

My sister takes hers at 9pm, my cousin takes his at 6am and I am the odd one in the family that splits mine between 8am and 6pm.

Different things work for different people.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus can be taken at any time of the day.

My sister takes hers at 9pm, my cousin takes his at 6am and I am the odd one in the family that splits mine between 8am and 6pm.

Different things work for different people.

... & I take mine around the 23.00 hour mark. It's an "odd beast" Lantus. But don't "stack" it, if changing regime! ;)

Reactions: MH2010

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@head323 ,

FYI? Lantus comes in a reusable "ClikStar" pen.. It's, more plasticky than a reuseable Novopen. (A solid bit of kit, for daily use.) & "seems" less robust than the Novo...
But I'm "heavy handed" & never busted a ClikStar yet! ;) Certainly better than the "Lilly"? (A more feminine in style pen) which I believe has been discontinued for Lantus cartriges.....