Lantus or Levimir

Millie74

Hi, on the DAFNE course at the moment and the nurses want me to switch to Levimir. Said more flexible with two doses. Been on it only two days and tested day time basal rate with a delayed lunch. Had a flat line of 6mmol 12-3pm which was pleased with, suggesting basal is good. However last night went to bed at 6 and climbed to 10 in night. Woke at 10.6. This would suggest basal wrong at night. Was always steady on Lantus. Can I ask if I want to go back on Lantus after this trial. Was never anything wrong with Lantus and only one injection. They were just insistent I try Levimir as kept saying more fkexible. Any advice.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When we change to a new insulin regime, we need some time to work out the correct doses. I would not be changing back to Lantus based on one night in Levemir, I would be increasing my dose in the evening

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Was always steady on Lantus. Can I ask if I want to go back on Lantus after this trial. Was never anything wrong with Lantus and only one injection. They were just insistent I try Levimir as kept saying more fkexible. Any advice.

I would argue that levemir is more flexible, but it's a question of whether you personally need that flexibility. Some people have issues with lantus, eg if it doesn't last the full 24 hours or if they need a different basal rate in the day and night. So I can understand that your team might argue that levemir is more flexible, and I would urge you to put the work in to achieve the correct dose on it.

But it's your body, and your insulin needs. If you give it a decent try (much more than a couple of days) and still prefer lantus, then there is nothing to stop you from telling your team this. But am slightly confused why they are suggesting the change if lantus is perfect for you?

(Personally I've had some issues with lantus, which I split as a result, but New Zealand doesn't offer any basals other than lantus, so I make it work for me.)

My recommendation would be to give levemir a good try before requesting a return to lantus. I would agree that levemir is more flexible, but it's also possible that you don't need that flexibility. Good luck.

Reactions: Millie74

Millie74

I would argue that levemir is more flexible, but it's a question of whether you personally need that flexibility. Some people have issues with lantus, eg if it doesn't last the full 24 hours or if they need a different basal rate in the day and night. So I can understand that your team might argue that levemir is more flexible, and I would urge you to put the work in to achieve the correct dose on it.

But it's your body, and your insulin needs. If you give it a decent try (much more than a couple of days) and still prefer lantus, then there is nothing to stop you from telling your team this. But am slightly confused why they are suggesting the change if lantus is perfect for you?

(Personally I've had some issues with lantus, which I split as a result, but New Zealand doesn't offer any basals other than lantus, so I make it work for me.)

My recommendation would be to give levemir a good try before requesting a return to lantus. I would agree that levemir is more flexible, but it's also possible that you don't need that flexibility. Good luck.

Millie74

I am on a DAFNE course this week and they switched 3 of us over to Levimir. They think as I teach dance on my very active days can reduce day time dose, so I don’t have to snack to stay up in range. Levimir really works with DAFNE education. I didn’t always snack to stay up when teaching. Just ate a few dextrose before to check was safe during class. I’ll give it some time. Last night I climbed slowly through night on Levimir from 7-10. Woke up 10.8. Wasn’t happy as always woke up 6 on Lantus and stayed lower at night. They still want me to give it time. Also I preferred one long acring injection a day with Lantus to 2 for Levimir. Not sure. Will see. Not sure any real justification to change other than lead DN loves Levimir and I met her at DAFNE pre assessment and she thinks according to a number of studies Levimir better. It also fits in with their DAFNE education.