Lard

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
i have some lard says hydrogenated on the package
Bin it is my advice.

Hydrogenated fats are unnatural fats that are detrimental to your health.

Food fats naturally occur in three general types:

1. Saturated (e.g., butter, lard, coconut oil)
  2. Monounsaturated (e.g., olive or canola oils)
  3. Polyunsaturated (e.g., omega-6 oils like sunflower or safflower oil, or omega-3 oils like fish and flaxseed oils)
Hydrogenation (or, more accurately, "partial hydrogenation," as the process is incomplete) is the forced chemical addition of hydrogen into omega-6 polyunsaturated oils to make them hard at room temperatures, primarily as a cheaper and less perishable substitute for butter in crispy bread products. Common hydrogenated fats include hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated cottonseed, palm, soy, and corn oils, but theoretically almost any polyunsaturated oil can be hydrogenated.

The chemical structure of artificially hardened hydrogenated fat is, however, different from either that of a naturally hard saturated fat or naturally liquid unsaturated (mono- or poly-) oil. Saturated fats have a rigid straight molecular form, which tends to "rigidify" the body structures into which they are incorporated, like blood vessels (thus the association between hard animal fats and atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries). Unsaturated fats have various wavy or zigzag forms (called "cis-" forms) that contribute to more flexible arteries and other body structures. Hydrogenated fats also have bent molecular shapes, but hydrogenated fats are bent in the mirror-opposite direction (which is why they are called "trans-" forms) of naturally occurring unsaturated fats. For this reason, hydrogenated fats are difficult for the body to "grab onto" and metabolize, and can neither be incorporated into cell structures nor excreted in the normal fashion. Thus, hydrogenated or "trans-" fats tend to remain "stuck" in blood circulation, becoming oxidized and most importantly, contributing significantly to an increased risk for cardiovascular disease and possibly also cancer.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=10

If it says hydrogenated complain to the shop stocking it but don't go in thee without protective clothing .....

slnet

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
No matter to the fact that adults should limit fat to 25% of calories, nutrition officially agrees on the fact that parents shouldn’t limit intake of fat to children until their complete maturity.
They find that 53% of calories from fat that babies begin life with, is from breast milk and it should be lowered slowly in following years to about 30% of calories from fat.
This should be happening at a moderate pace and not to the attainment of growth, up until the age of 18.
I did some deep study on Lard subject here http://healthyfitnatural.com/is-pork-lard-healthy/

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I've been on a low carb high fat diet most if not all of this year.
I'm three stone lighter my blood glucose levels are under control excellent control to the point my surgery are telling me I'm reading as more or less none diabetic my blood pressure is down all my medcations are down my bad cholesterol is down and the good is up no medication.

LCHF for Beginners – How to Succeed on a Low Carb, High Fat Diet
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kerrymaid lard is sold by Waitrose and Ocado and it says that the antioxidant used is natural tocopherols. No mention of hydrogenation. I have seen it in Iceland, but mysupermarket.co.uk lists a different brand for them.

ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's all seem to have own brands, not sure if Aldi's is a real brand or own brand.

I have bought Britannia dripping in Iceland, but to me, it didn't taste of anything so I assumed that it's refined.

I get Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Aberdeen Angus beef dripping from Ocado, 99p for 200g. Again, doesn't really taste of anything, but it's British made from " British cattle sired by registered Aberdeen Angus bulls" which makes me laugh ! I just prefer to have dripping in a jar rather than in a wrapover, which can get torn.

Don't forget duck fat, goose fat, clarified butter, ghee (same thing) as well.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be a lot of false information here. There is no hydrogenation in animal fats, no need as it would be naturally solid at room temperature. Although there is some refined and deodorised lard the vast majority is just 100% pig fat.

This is from someone who has sold this product for 5 years and has 22 years experience in the oils and fats business.

Even commercially steam rendered?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The lard i looked at from Sainsbury's has antioxidant in it so i didn't buy it .

Reactions: 2 people

harlen

I believe (Partially)Hydrogenated fats must be labelled as such in UK
I have never seen this mentioned on lard in the UK.
Could the contributers who say they have seen it on lard packaging please confirm if they are in the UK. I believe US practices are different.

The antioxidant Tocopherol that worried another contributer is Vitamin E is it not?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I believe (Partially)Hydrogenated fats must be labelled as such in UK
I have never seen this mentioned on lard in the UK.
Could the contributers who say they have seen it on lard packaging please confirm if they are in the UK. I believe US practices are different.

The antioxidant Tocopherol that worried another contributer is Vitamin E is it not?
Correct, Tocopherol is Vitamin E.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Lard is fat from a pig, in both its rendered and unrendered forms. It is a semi-soft white fat derived from fatty parts of the pig, with a high saturated fatty acid content and no trans fat. Rendering is by steaming, boiling, or dry heat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard