Type 1 LASIK treatment to correct non-diabetic related vision. Anyone had it done?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’d love to hear from anyone who has had corrective laser treatment to correct vision.

I’m type 1 (for 30 years), have background retinopathy but not yet required laser surgery for this.

I went to a bog standard clinic to get treatment to correct my vision but due to the retinopathy / diabetes they refused to do it. This was about 8 years ago.

I’m having problems with contacts now and hate the rain on my glasses so I’d love to get my short-sightedness corrected.

I see on one site they will consider you if you get a letter from your GP / doc saying blood sugar stable as if not, this affects the measurements which can fluctuate as the blood sugars do. I think my doctor would write a letter (?) but I personally don’t think my sugars are ever ‘stable’. I could get stable for a couple of weeks. Might include not eating carbs and not moving -ha! My last few Hba1cs have been 7.5; struggling to get lower.

I’m just very interested if anyone else has had any luck getting it done. What were your sugars like? Where did you get it done? I’m apprehensive about the fact a few doctors flat out refuse and then some others don’t? Hoping this is because of difference in qualifications?

Thank you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t comment on the Diabetic aspect of corrective laser eye surgery but I did have mine done about ten years ago before my Diabetes diagnosis. I was a bit wary of high st opticians doing it as it just seemed a bit casual for something so critical, maybe that’s just me, so I had it done at a private hospital, one of the Nuffield Health group. I received excellent care, the price included all the eye drops, there were loads (!) and several follow up appointments. My vision remains perfect! I don’t regret it for a minute.

Reactions: London36_

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can’t comment on the Diabetic aspect of corrective laser eye surgery but I did have mine done about ten years ago before my Diabetes diagnosis. I was a bit wary of high st opticians doing it as it just seemed a bit casual for something so critical, maybe that’s just me, so I had it done at a private hospital, one of the Nuffield Health group. I received excellent care, the price included all the eye drops, there were loads (!) and several follow up appointments. My vision remains perfect! I don’t regret it for a minute.

Thank you - agree RE getting it done properly. You only have one pair of eyes!

Reactions: Rachox

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi @London36_
I had this surgery at the London Vision Clinic this time last year. It has been very successful and I have no regrets. I don't need glasses for anything now.
They will treat people with well-controlled diabetes, bot not if it's poorly controlled. They do a very comprehensive free assessment before you commit, which will tell you if you are suitable or not.
They are pricey, as you would expect from Harley Street, but you are trusting them with your sight.
This link tells you about their screening process.
https://www.londonvisionclinic.com/screening-process/

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi again @London36_
One thing I should have mentioned is what a great resource the LVC website is. It explains all the processes and problems in a very clear way. It would be well worth your while reading all they have to say before making your choice, whatever you decide in the end.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi again @London36_
One thing I should have mentioned is what a great resource the LVC website is. It explains all the processes and problems in a very clear way. It would be well worth your while reading all they have to say before making your choice, whatever you decide in the end.

Thanks so much for the info. I’m super excited! My consultant also given me go-ahead

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
I’d love to hear from anyone who has had corrective laser treatment to correct vision.

I’m type 1 (for 30 years), have background retinopathy but not yet required laser surgery for this.

I went to a bog standard clinic to get treatment to correct my vision but due to the retinopathy / diabetes they refused to do it. This was about 8 years ago.

I’m having problems with contacts now and hate the rain on my glasses so I’d love to get my short-sightedness corrected.

I see on one site they will consider you if you get a letter from your GP / doc saying blood sugar stable as if not, this affects the measurements which can fluctuate as the blood sugars do. I think my doctor would write a letter (?) but I personally don’t think my sugars are ever ‘stable’. I could get stable for a couple of weeks. Might include not eating carbs and not moving -ha! My last few Hba1cs have been 7.5; struggling to get lower.

I’m just very interested if anyone else has had any luck getting it done. What were your sugars like? Where did you get it done? I’m apprehensive about the fact a few doctors flat out refuse and then some others don’t? Hoping this is because of difference in qualifications?

Thank you!
Hi im T2 For abiut 2 years. i has

Thank you!
Hi im T2 about 2 1/2 years .had eye surgery in both eyed one day after the other a year ago. my sugar levels are usually ok ish but they monitered me carefully. I have had great results and no problems