Late to the party...

TaliseH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone I'm a 26 year old type 1 diabetic from North Devon. Ive been diabetic for 16 years and still find it as challenging as ever. Im looking forward to sharing some experiences and feelings with others who know and appreciate what i'm talking about! I've recently been finding it hard to keep my sugars under control and my nurse has suggested I consider the pump, which devastates me. I don't know anyone with a pump so haven't had the chance to talk to anyone or have them convince me. I am fully aware what a fantastic discovery they are but i just cant get my head around how intrusive and invasive they are, and i guess the fear of people asking questions and finding it freaky. I guess injections allow you to pretend it doesn't exist sometimes. I'd really like to hear from some of you and hear some of your feelings x

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya, I'm 43 and only diagnosed 3 years also been struggling with my levels and although I low carb I still hit moments of 'spiralling out of control' - my DSN has also suggested a pump and to be honest I would give anything a shot if it helps me get better control. I wasn't so keen to start with as the idea of being wired up and attached to something was just a bit too strange, but I've gone past the point of caring as I just want to try anything now. It's still going to take a while as I have to go to a panel and will be rejected first time for definite but am hoping second time it will be approved.

Are you keen to get better control ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there TaliseH
welcome to the forum:)

I have been T1 D for 43 years and 10 years ago turned down the offer of a pump as I thought "why fix it if it ain't broke"
well due to impaired hypo awareness i was offered a pump again in august 2014 and 13 months later ( long process in north wales ) i have started on a pump 13 days ago.
so far has been a bit of a trial but I am certainly a convert so far -- i haven't had to do 50+ injections in that time and only 5 cannula changes -- the potential on the pump is amazing so it is deffo worth considering :)
PM me if you want some more info or assistance

Reactions: 6 people

TaliseH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im still trying to get used to this app. Im not sure if i can respond separately to you both or not.
Juicyj- thank you for your message. I do want better control yes. I just would prefer it to be with injections rather than the pump. I feel like its going to be so restricting and like i am 'ill'! My body seems to want to be difficult and i feel as though im stabbing in the dark with it sometimes!
Himtoo- thank you also for your message! What were your feelings on it years ago? Why did you say no? Will be interesting to see how you get on

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
your reply above was done perfectly -- that is how I would have done it :)

I was frightened of a pump to be honest 10 years ago -- I thought about it being attached to me and that i would forever be ripping the tube out . The main thing though was I had excellent control so did not think I could improve it. ( I Think I was wrong though)
improving control is about keeping tighter numbers all the time and a pump has that ability with hard work.

I am on the omnipod too which has no tubes.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I would jump at the chance of a pump if it came my way, the idea of tighter control and not having injections means great freedom to me and less anxiety. I would seize the chance ! But that's me personally I think if more pumpers can post their thoughts on it, then it may encourage you to think differently perhaps..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @TaliseH, having been a diabetic for 27 years, I've, for the most part, been very open about my diabetes. Whether that it is injecting with a pen, which I am extremely public about or with a pump, which I've only recently moved on to.

From a publicity perspective, my pump is obvious and has a tube, and people ask questions. I am happy to answer these though as it leads to greater understanding for the people with whom I am discussing it. I actually don't think it is as intrusive and as much of a reminder as injections are. To me it's just another bit of technology that I use. But then I'm a bit of a technophile and love technology, so it's not an issue in that sense.

In the extremely short time that I've had it, I'm loving the pump. It has removed the issues I had with basal insulin running out in the morning and given me a mechanism to manage the small amount of dawn phenomenon that I saw. The other thing that is great is the additional bolus options that mean I don't need to keep injecting multiple times. So far then, I think it's great! Just a bit more getting used to it to do.

I think the other comment that I'd add is that the NHS makes a big deal out of pumps, in that they could be more complicated and more difficult to use than MDI. Speaking from a purely personal perspective, it is just another insulin delivery device and what it does is really quite simple. Your interaction with it can be as complex or as simple as you need. There are some things that require more attention, such as issues with sets or tubes, and you need to be slightly more observant, but when running well, there is next to nothing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi TaliseH,I've been Type 1 for over53 years and been on a pump since the end of May this year and agree wholeheartedly with what tim2000s has said.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
the party just got started, welcome to the forums

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think its anything to be devastated about, and I find my pump much LESS intrusive than injections. I mean, pens are much more discreet than old-school syringes, but pulling out a pen and giving your self a jab in public attracts a lot mire attention than pulling out something that looks like a pager, pressing a few buttons and putting it back. And some have remote controls. Also you can unclip the tubing from the canula for swimming, showers, and those "private times". I love my pump. I am thinking of giving him a name and writing love poetry to him. :)

Reactions: 8 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't think its anything to be devastated about, and I find my pump much LESS intrusive than injections. I mean, pens are much more discreet than old-school syringes, but pulling out a pen and giving your self a jab in public attracts a lot mire attention than pulling out something that looks like a pager, pressing a few buttons and putting it back. And some have remote controls. Also you can unclip the tubing from the canula for swimming, showers, and those "private times". I love my pump. I am thinking of giving him a name and writing love poetry to him. :)
I think we are all waiting for the "Ode to my paradigm on an autumn day"
am smiling here genuinely at the thought :)

Reactions: 6 people

johncon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been T1 for 37 years (the last 6 years I've been on a pump). Initially I was like a lot of diabetics and didn't want any change at all, I was basically dragged kicking and screaming to change to a pump. To be honest I couldn't manage without it now, the way it lets you manage changes on a daily basis is a massive help (especially with having a young family). It may take a while for you to get up and running and ratios, basals, etc. set up right, but I would wholeheartedly recommend a pump to anyone.

Reactions: 8 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone I'm a 26 year old type 1 diabetic from North Devon. Ive been diabetic for 16 years and still find it as challenging as ever. Im looking forward to sharing some experiences and feelings with others who know and appreciate what i'm talking about! I've recently been finding it hard to keep my sugars under control and my nurse has suggested I consider the pump, which devastates me. I don't know anyone with a pump so haven't had the chance to talk to anyone or have them convince me. I am fully aware what a fantastic discovery they are but i just cant get my head around how intrusive and invasive they are, and i guess the fear of people asking questions and finding it freaky. I guess injections allow you to pretend it doesn't exist sometimes. I'd really like to hear from some of you and hear some of your feelings x

I just want to echo what people have said above. I've had a pump for 11 years and it gave me my life back. I don't even notice I'm wearing it. It just sits there and does its stuff until I need to press a button to bolus. It's given me fantastic control - far less highs and lows - and only a few days after I got it I felt more like myself and more 'normal'. It took me months to decide to have one because I was worried it would be like a ball and chain. But far from imprisoning me, it's actually given me my freedom back.

No one notices it really and the odd person who does thinks it's a pedometer or a pager. I'm quite happy to show it off anyway as it looks smart. The cannulas are tiny and not at all intrusive. I also have no problems with the tubing ( and believe me I'm very clumsy!) as I tuck it in my clothes.

TaliseH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive read through heaps of messages and the ones you guys have put on here and i am really feeling so much better about it. I think it was just a shock at first and almost like being diagnosed all over again! Im going to discuss with my dsn next week! Thank you everyone x

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ive read through heaps of messages and the ones you guys have put on here and i am really feeling so much better about it. I think it was just a shock at first and almost like being diagnosed all over again! Im going to discuss with my dsn next week! Thank you everyone x

Do go for a pump if you get the opportunity @TaliseH, I've been on mine for 8 months now and wouldn't like to go back to MDI, like you I was apprehensive beforehand but any concerns were soon put to bed once I started pumping.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd have to echo the comments of others. The difference a pump makes to smoothness of control and in reducing swings is amazing, I've only been on it a week and seeing huge differences in results. My standard deviation has dropped dramatically! I officially love it!

TaliseH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Feeling lots of love and real support! I never realised i was missing so much from the diabetic family

Ewb10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @TaliseH for posting...if I was to have written how I was feeling your words are exactly that! Great to have started such a conversation which has given me some food for thought too.
I just still have the same thought though of "never having a day off" and people asking questions as well as the restricted clothes etc.