Latest hba1c with telling off.........

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, last Thursday I had my 3 monthly review with diabetic nurse who proudly announced my hba1c was 31 .

She asked me how I was doing this as I had stopped metformin months ago, so I explained about Lchf and intermittent fasting, she appeared less than impressed.

She then told me my numbers were going too low and if I carried on the way I am going she wold insist on me seeing the GP . I then had to go through what I was eating with her and explain that I am getting adequate nutrients from good healthy fresh foods and fats. Whilst talking she was taking lots of notes.

Anyway to cut a long story short we both agreed my hba1c - good, weight has gone from obese to normal, blood pressure and cholesterol also good.

She also told me my diet was unsustainable long term, and that I must start reintroducing sugery carbs back into my diet such as bread and cereals etc.

I explained I had been doing Lchf sine Feb with no problems and am healthier than ever.

Appointment over.

Not sure what is going on with the forum at the minute with many people leaving, but I would like to say to each and everyone of you who contribute to this site with advice and guidance a big, big thank you, I do not think I would be the fit healthy person I am today without your pearls of wisdom, anecdotes, etc.

This year for me has been one of many lows and a few highs, and I will be glad when it is over, this site has been a saving grace.

So once more thank you all xx

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, last Thursday I had my 3 monthly review with diabetic nurse who proudly announced my hba1c was 31 .

She asked me how I was doing this as I had stopped metformin months ago, so I explained about Lchf and intermittent fasting, she appeared less than impressed.

She then told me my numbers were going too low and if I carried on the way I am going she wold insist on me seeing the GP . I then had to go through what I was eating with her and explain that I am getting adequate nutrients from good healthy fresh foods and fats. Whilst talking she was taking lots of notes.

Anyway to cut a long story short we both agreed my hba1c - good, weight has gone from obese to normal, blood pressure and cholesterol also good.

She also told me my diet was unsustainable long term, and that I must start reintroducing sugery carbs back into my diet such as bread and cereals etc.

I explained I had been doing Lchf sine Feb with no problems and am healthier than ever.

Appointment over.

Not sure what is going on with the forum at the minute with many people leaving, but I would like to say to each and everyone of you who contribute to this site with advice and guidance a big, big thank you, I do not think I would be the fit healthy person I am today without your pearls of wisdom, anecdotes, etc.

This year for me has been one of many lows and a few highs, and I will be glad when it is over, this site has been a saving grace.

Great results.

Reactions: Prem51

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Shame the nurse threatened you with the GP. I would be inclined to see them anyway and they may well congratulate you!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

Appointment over.

Well done @hca
I get complete disinterest in my diet from my DN, although she is impressed by my figures and the "excellent" comments in my notes from my GP. I'm sure that if I tried to explain I would meet the same resistance you got. My GP acknowledges it's the carbs that matter, but I don't discuss my keto diet with him either; we do have many interesting discusions however and he is very supportive. Not sure what it is with the DN, but she is completely convinced by the NICE guidelines.
So keep going as you are. I completely endorse your comments on the dcuk forum, I have been supported incredibly well. Not sure what is going on with the people leaving, but that's normal for me.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your numbers don't lie, you have done a fabulous job there and, as you say, you're happier and healthier. As to your DN advising you to reintroduce carbs, well, you have learned what effects that will have.
Personally, the 'threat' of sending you to the 'Headmaster's Office' would have made me laugh out loud.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your results.

I love it when my DN goes all headteacherly on me - you see, I was a deputy head for years and can still do 'the voice'. I have had to ask her 'not to speak to me in that manner', not to 'treat me like an idiot'. She tuts and sighs when I say I will go away and research something and get back to her if I feel it's the way for me. She threw a fit when I said I didn't feel I merited statins and said I shouldn't believe everything I read in the Daily Mail. I told her that was just about the most insulting thing she'd ever said to me and would she kindly never make such a comment again!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Appointment over.

Well done @hca . Great news.
Yes there seems to be more advice here about stabilizing weight loss on lchf, when you're ready.
I've always found maintenance the hardest job. Even though weight loss has never been easy for me. Lchf doesn't work for me but the low carb part definitely does. I'm on insulin thou.
Great achievement. You must be delighted?

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sincerely hope you told her where she could stick her sugary carbs.. in the nicest possible way of course!

Edit to add and very many congratulations on your amazing results.. very well done in deed.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am guessing nurse is suffering from.Not Invented Here syndrome re Lchf. Please continue to be a shining beacon of wellness and tell anyone who asks what you do

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Brillliant result and well done for finding what works for you. Keep on doing whatever you are doing, you are re-learning to listen to your body and it will tell you when/if it wants something different, but as you totally justified your diet to the nurse you are clearly doing a good job on that score too.