Latest Libre news

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, went to my local Asda this morning to purchase a couple of sensors, to be told by the pharmacist that they were out off stock and he didn't know when he could get any more. He blamed the high numbers of sensors being prescribed by some Doctors/Consultants, who were prescribing as many as 24 sensors at a time for some patients ! He said Abbott had informed him that he had exceeded his monthly allocation and that he should consider stopping selling the sensors and just supply NHS prescriptions. When I told him that one would do to keep me going, he managed to "find" one in a drawer that he let me buy.
It looks like Abbott are having real problems maintaining the demand for these, who knows what will happen after April 1st although both my G.P. and Consultant believe that prescribing will tightened up rather than more people being allowed them on the NHS.

Reactions: Bon83

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He blamed the high numbers of sensors being prescribed by some Doctors/Consultants, who were prescribing as many as 24 sensors at a time for some patients !

That is an excessive amount it's gotta be said and in my opinion quite stupid.
24 sensors = 48 weeks - people don't often get a years worth of stuff on one prescription, and the expiry date would become an issue at that point - I got a new sensor today from Abbott (a replacement for a failure - I normally buy at Asda) and the expiry date is the 31st Dec 2019 - that's less than 48 weeks away..

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbot have been having problems keeping up with demand for a while - existing customers only on the web site, and only three sensors at a time every 25 days.

Re 24 sensors - that's just insane. Somebody is confusing the supply needed for a year with how often they need to be got. It's also over a thousand quid's worth on ebay - I'd not be handing out prescriptions in that quantity for something so readily sold like that.

Reactions: Tabzmcfc

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most I get is 2 sensors every 28 days.

As each sensor lasts 14 days the most anyone should really be getting is 3 per month

buddyxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, went to my local Asda this morning to purchase a couple of sensors, to be told by the pharmacist that they were out off stock and he didn't know when he could get any more. He blamed the high numbers of sensors being prescribed by some Doctors/Consultants, who were prescribing as many as 24 sensors at a time for some patients ! He said Abbott had informed him that he had exceeded his monthly allocation and that he should consider stopping selling the sensors and just supply NHS prescriptions. When I told him that one would do to keep me going, he managed to "find" one in a drawer that he let me buy.
It looks like Abbott are having real problems maintaining the demand for these, who knows what will happen after April 1st although both my G.P. and Consultant believe that prescribing will tightened up rather than more people being allowed them on the NHS.
Hi I was wondering if anyone else has same problem as me I have been on libre trial and done education programme and finally okayed to receive libre on prescription. However 1st prescription went in on January 9th and still waiting for my libre. the pharmacy say manufacturing problems. have tried all local chemists to buy to no avail. I used to self fund and I am back doing that straight from libre wich is a pain they r expensive so I try for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off cant afford continual Is anyone else in same boat ??? I guess all areeas r different and is a lottery postcode.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
He did say that 24 was unusual but he had several NHS customers who always had prescriptions for 12, the usual number on a prescription was 6. When I suggested that perhaps he limited issuing them to a maximum of 4 at a time and that customers should return when they were down to 1 unused one, he said he had no choice but to issue the number that were on the prescription

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still getting mine off the shelf from my local chemist. Feel lucky!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Strangely, when I step up to the counter to purchase one, I get the "ah yes, they are very popular." From the phamcist..
"Can let you have one. But I'd need to order if you want more."

I only get one at a time whilst I'm passing through ASDA every 2 to 3 weeks?

Are pharmacists allowed to ring the doctor for clarification in the UK?

Only if there was a patient query on what was dispensed? Possibly a discrepancy with what's normaly on the script??
It happened to me once regarding a discontinuation & change of model with a reusable Lantus pen.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Strangely, when I step up to the counter to purchase one, I get the "ah yes, they are very popular."

Meanwhile I get the 'Ah, trouble is back' comment with a grin :), I'm now recognised at both my local pharmacy and the Asda pharmacy, d'oh!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As they are such a money spinner for Abbott, you would think they would increase output

Well.....? (This is just personal opinion.) Maybe they underestimated "demand?"
Problem maybe... It's not exactly like (in other production firms.) you can call in a troupe of "temp agency" workers & after the mandatory H&S induction, then a "brief" on the product & procedures, put them to task regarding knocking these sensors out?

D

Deleted Account

As they are such a money spinner for Abbott, you would think they would increase output
I thought they were trying to do that.
But factories have a maximum throughput.
I remember to EpiPen shortage - there were other manufacturers but once their factories were working 24 x 7 they could not make more.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect Abbot is making little profit selling in the UK at present due to the low value of the pound.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I think 24 sensors is a porky. They will have expired. It appears they have about a 6 month life span and normally by the time you get them you have about 4 months before they are passed their use by date.
Hopefully the iWatch is not that far off being able to measure BGL. When they crack that, that will create havoc and solve the Libretto supply problem for once and all. Alas we will need 2 watches as one will be charging, to hope a fast charge battery (5min or less) is too much to hope for in the next watch.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to purchase a sensor as a one off from boots last September and they were not selling at that time- they were only taking prescriptions. I only tried because I was doing a long run event - secretly I wasn't disappointed because the last two sensors I had had fell off after the gym. My gp states the consultant has to decide on prescription and the consultant says my area only prescribe to pregnant women. I can see how this is good for pregnancy to be fair. I think you are right - the prescription criteria will tighten up because it must be costing a fortune.

D

Deleted Account

I recently had a sensor fall off so called Abbott to report the failure.
A replacement sensor arrived within 3 days so they have some spare stock.

I have not tried to buy any for a few months: I buy them 3 at a time and use them 2 out of every 6 weeks so that I am not dependent on them, reduce the chance of skin reactions and save my money.

Reactions: EllieM and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My son used to work for Abbotts. You would not believe the amount the produce daily in their English and Irish plants......