Latest way to kick T2

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
This is a rant......
The useless bunch of money grabbing t.....s called nice with nothing nice about them are again using incompitance to kick T2
They will now do weight loss surgery on over stretch budgets with all risks involved in those operations on T2 and those at risk...cause diets are short term.
Well just get people to eat properly and not diet not your idea of food as funded by corporations that line your pockets with mega bucks problem solved.

Reactions: 7 people

Katchoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The front page of the BBC triggered this, by any chance?

Bariatric surgery for all !!!! :facepalm:

I've been sitting here seething for the last hour. Out of interest I checked the results from the Diabetes UK survey, and only 6.2% of newly diagnosed Type 2 patients are referred on to diet advice in my area. There's the problem, right there.

My GP has had next to no contact with me. She wrote me a prescription, signed me up for DESMOND and told me I could have one Hba1C per year. That was pretty much it.I haven't seen her since... I did get a retinal screening appt eventually, but that was requested by my optician, I wouldn't have got one until next year if he hadn't as I've just been slapped on a register that presumably will get me the foot and eye screenings regularly from next year..

I've learnt more form lurking on here than from anyone at the doctors...

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I heard it too on Heart radio news this morning, but no mention of Type 2's though, just the word diabetes.

Reactions: 3 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
At Gym this morning it was all over the sky news channel we access (In South Africa)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree fully with Mud .. if they (NICE) gave the correct advice in the first place, there would be no need for this surgery ... Also if you really want to loose the weight .. and have no medical probs stopping you .. then you will loose it. just need the right advice and a lot of willpower
(or a wife like I have ;( who says stuff like .. if you love me you will not eat that !! If you don't love me then eat it on your way out and leave your key on the side table)

When I was first told I was T2 diabetic (very low dbs for a db) I was following the nice guide lines and the advice of my Db nurse I gained 2 stone in 6 months and doubled my blood sugar count .. If they had just said gat a meter and test .. things would have been so easer !
So the wife stepped in !! with the help of this forum .. I LCHF lost 4 stone and all my blood levels are now normal in 7 months.
I must add that my wife (bess her) have never liked high carb foods.. or pre prepared foods .. I on the other hand used to love them ..

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It made me very annoyed to say the least too. Whilst for some surgery may be a solution to their diabetes and other health issues, one can't help but think if the NHS focussed on helping people with meters, strips and better dietary advice, so many operations wouldn't be necessary. Also restrictions on the **** that supermarkets are able to push on the BOGOFs might be another good starting place, along with proper food preparation and menu planning classes in schools. While once we are diabetics fruit is not great, I'd like to see children eating an apple in season rather than a packet of dayglo sweets or slurping on a "healthy" iced drink or shake with a third of your daily calorie intake in one glass. If we go on as we are, there won't be enough gastric surgeons standing to do the operation. I couldn't help but notice that many of the staff at my local hospital on my recent visit were above optimal weight too, so if the health professionals can't get it right with current advice and legislation, not much hope for the rest of us, especially those on low incomes who have grown up around cheap junk food.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Completely agree. Watched it on the news this am. It only mentioned changing diet, but not how to do it. They just assume that you eat junk food. which I never have. In fact the last time I was in McD's was 26 years ago. I think they think you are lying, which is baloney. I think they treat all diabetics as idiots.

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Maybe NICE are in cahoots with the Tories and want to bankrupt the NHS. The idea that everyone should have a low BMI is also baloney. It was made up in the 1900's and you can blame Ancel Keys again for the overuse.
And if you check out the scales used phhhhh.
Until I was 40 I would have been classed as malnourished. See load of cobblers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
G

graj0

I don't buy papers because they usually print **** at the best of times, today was no exception.

The Times:- Obese will get free surgery on the NHS.
The Express:- Stomach surgery to beat Diabetes.
The Mail:- Thousands more to get obesity ops on the NHS.

The general jist in the three articles is that obesity causes diabetes therefore get people to lose weight by altering their plumbing and they'll not get diabetes. This is something that's been dreamed up by NICE.
How about "CUT THE CARBS", total cost? ZERO.
Sometimes I hope that a proper journalist would do some research and find out what the REAL story is. Obviously it may never happen in my lifetime. I still think the truth is a much better story.

Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Last weekend we went for a walk round Chester Zoo. At cafe little 4ish yr old clutching bottle of water out fridge...l want this
Father...dont you want the fanta
No l want this holding water
Are you sure
Yes...
Father removes water from tightly gripping little hands says...no you can have a fanta (orange)

Sadly there is no cure for abject stupidity

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes its a pity right advise not given to most of us, we had to google to find facts. Even though it is known that weight loss help T2's, it is not given as a definite. or near definite. DN did not mention about New Castle diet at all. I think all of GPs and DNs should be informed with new researches. Only when I lost 15% of my pre diagnosis body weight I really felt my low BS levels are here to stay. Not many believe Diabetes can be controlled by diet and exercises or may be everybody doubt we have will power to carry on? My friend who has diabetes said to his doctors about ND which doctor laughed it off so my friend does not think it would work either. If doctors do not believe it works how can you educate/spread the word to rest of the world with new research findings?