LCHF and high cholesterol

goose64

I've been controlling my diabetes by diet - but levels have been slowly creeping up & I see a lot of people on here swear by LCHF,

I have reduced the amount of carbs I eat & have ditched the refined stuff. However I have genetic high cholesterol & was wondering if the high fat element has any effect on peoples cholesterol?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't have to be high fat, just increased good fats. There is no need to go overboard with it. All you need is enough extra fat and/or protein to make up the lost energy from the lower carbs. The amount of increase is up to you. Some forumites are reporting lower cholesterol on this diet, but we are not all the same and it is just a case of suck it and see.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Increasing the fats to make up for lower carbs doesn't mean your blood cholesterol will go up. See how you go and hopefully a cholesterol test will show no increase and many report a decrease.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For most on the LCHF ,cholesterol values are reduced and the HDL [ good cholesterol ] is increased. In addition triglycerides are reduced, which is also good. As was said above the higher fats are need as a source of energy to replace the reduced carbohydrates. So with the LCHF you gain both ways ie improved lipid profile and much improved BG values.