LCHF and weight loss

ashum80

Hi all. My husband has recently been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I have been on a ketogenic diet for a few years due to PCOS, insulin resistance and obesity with excellent results. He has decided to emabark on a low carb lifestyle with me. Our only concern is that he is already very slim and doesn’t need to lose any weight. I was just wondering what other people’s experiences were regarding going LCHF and not needing to lose weight. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Reactions: whitech

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution will help - the last edition from 2003 is the best, I think. There are four stages in Atkins, the last one is maintenance.
I have always found that eating low carb makes me feel far better than any other way of eating, but I think that the media have touted it as a fad slimming diet for so long that the original message has been lost almost completely.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My only advice would be not to underestimate the amount of healthy fats he needs to replace the carbs. I did this and struggled to stop weight loss. I raised the amount of protein too which I hadn't previously thought to address. Good luck to you both.

Reactions: ashum80

ashum80

You might find that Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution will help - the last edition from 2003 is the best, I think. There are four stages in Atkins, the last one is maintenance.
I have always found that eating low carb makes me feel far better than any other way of eating, but I think that the media have touted it as a fad slimming diet for so long that the original message has been lost almost completely.

Thanks that’s great.

ashum80

My only advice would be not to underestimate the amount of healthy fats he needs to replace the carbs. I did this and struggled to stop weight loss. I raised the amount of protein too which I hadn't previously thought to address. Good luck to you both.

Yes I did think this. He’s having a lot more protein than I typically have and we talked about him having enough calories so we’ll see how it goes. Many thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, when I lost all my excess weight and needed to stop losing and maintain, I kept my carbs very low but increased protein and fats. It was quite hard at first to get the right balance - I had to use my bathroom scales alongside my blood glucose meter and go back to basics with my food diary. It is a fine balance, but once I found the right balance it was fine. I have now maintained for 4 years. I did it mainly from eggs, cheese, butter, mayo and a glass of wine each evening. I have always eaten plenty of protein as I am a great believer in it, especially as we age, so have never restricted it and eat a lot more than the normal RDA so increasing my portions of meat and fish was not really an option.

Reactions: Energize

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ashum80 . I have been eating LCHF and Keto for four-ish years with my naturally skinny partner. We do not find that it is a weight loss regimen, not for us, but is a health maintenance one. Nuts, and dairy, and yes, alcoholic drinks of an evening can mean you don't lose weight, but maintain, for sure, due to the energy load of those foods and drink.

Bodies are very different though - what is true for he and me may not be true for someone else, but absolutely - one has the ability to adjust and drop and add high-energy food, for sure.

I personally, cannot imagine that I could eat half a fathead pizza, for instance, and lose weight! :). We don't put on weight though, from it, either. For my slender partner - his too just stays the same.

The body has quite amazing weight maintenance mechanisms going on! Is what we find. Sure is going on for us.