Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi, i am using a long acting basel i guess. its 30/70 the same insulin they gave me @ diagnosis. i dont want actrapid or anything because i dont want to inject more, i have too much scar tissue already

There lies the problem, you still need to inject insulin for meals even if they are low-carb, you can use the arms, legs, buttocks & stomach for injecting insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only one who is freaked out by this statement? Someone who admits they have no idea how to carb count is making decisions about their insulin dosing without any input from their doctor? I admit to not knowing all that much about 1.5, but I'm majorly spooked by what the OP is doing.

most doctors know less about diabetes than people on youtube, ive been living it for 10 years, if i was to follow what doctors say i would be stuffing down heaps of rice, bread and pasta

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
because its the same principles of DR stapleton, who is a type 1 diabetic and hes down to just 6 units of long acting per day

also Dr fungs patients were apparently on up to 100 units/day

But Dr Stapleton is a trained medical professional, he's following the well established principles of Dr Richard K Bernstein and he knows how to carb count. He's not following any sort of fasting routine, according to his video.

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But Dr Stapleton is a trained medical professional, he's following the well established principles of Dr Richard K Bernstein and he knows how to carb count. He's not following any sort of fasting routine, according to his video.
are you trolling or what?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was about to ask you the same question. And now I've made up my mind that you are, so I'm leaving this thread. Have fun.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this doctor shows studies that say you get omplications regardless because even if your BSL is low your insulin/glucose levels are still too high

I disagree with the statement that diabetic complications will always arise if you are on Insulin treatment, regardless of how well-managed the condition is. I disagree from the point-of-view of a T1 diabetic.

As a T1 diabetic I have no choice but to inject Insulin. If this means that I have no chance to avoid complications regardless of how well I manage the condition, then I (and all other T1s) might as well just give up.

If you are only referring to T2, then I apologize that I misunderstood.

If you are ever able to get yourself completely off of Insulin injections, this means you are Type2, not Type1 or Type1.5.

Regards,
Antony

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I disagree with the statement that diabetic complications will always arise if you are on Insulin treatment, regardless of how well-managed the condition is. I disagree from the point-of-view of a T1 diabetic.

As a T1 diabetic I have no choice but to inject Insulin. If this means that I have no chance to avoid complications regardless of how well I manage the condition, then I (and all other T1s) might as well just give up.

If you are only referring to T2, then I apologize that I misunderstood.

If you are ever able to get yourself completely off of Insulin injections, this means you are Type2, not Type1 or Type1.5.

Regards,
Antony

the study says complications occur at the same rate whether you have loose or tight control, i dont do studies thats just what it says. also another study says that T1's still produce 'some' insulin even after 20 years, so in theory if you had good control you could regenerate your pancreas beta cells with something like autologous adult stem cells etc, but for how long the effect would last..i have no idea.

can anyone tell me, when starting low carb high fat did it start off bad like im doing and get better? or was it better quickly? (a1c, fasting bg etc)

if i can work out this diet right will my numbers improve?

i have been reading a bit here and i see lots of success but mainly for people who are newly diagnosed or have good control, good A1c's etc, i think i may already be too far gone

D

Deleted member 83869

Not everyone get's complications though...if your control is very good then it may slow them down and more than likely prevent them but with hardly any insulin that is very dangerous! and I doubt people on youtube know more than healthcare professionals! You need to learn how to carb count...which is prettty easy really but you need to look after your self more importantly! and from your readings it does look like you need more insulin! And studies may say certain things but that doesn't count for every single diabetic! Not one person is the same as the other!

D

Deleted member 83869

You are also probably starving yourself too much, which too can bring levels up!!

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are also probably starving yourself too much, which too can bring levels up!!
is that temporary? or will they always stay up...? to be honest im barely hungry anymore..even after fasting for 24 hours i think i could keep going, im not hungry after 24 hours

D

Deleted member 83869

is that temporary? or will they always stay up...? to be honest im barely hungry anymore..even after fasting for 24 hours i think i could keep going, im not hungry after 24 hours
I believe so yes, because you can get ketones from not eating enough! you do seriously need to be careful and seek medical advice. I know you say you aren't hungry at all anymore but you are a diabetic and well we have to eat ha!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mate, did you know high BG get's you nutty? chill

now your "after watching some lectures from Dr Jason Fung" need to be watched again, you have the wrong end of the stick, from memory he is espousing alternate days fasting for T2, not T1 or T1.5
the other thing is that Fung isn't a recognised leader in the diabetic field, there are better people to read and watch

Last edited by a moderator:

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, ive had ketone acidosis before...if i start vomiting etc then i know ive gone too far, are you on lchf? if so is it helping? and how long did it take to start working?

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
mate, did you know high BG get's you nutty? chill

now your "after watching some lectures from Dr Jason Fung" need to be watched again, you have the wrong end of the stick, he is espousing alternate days fasting for T2, not T1 or T1.5
the other thing is that Fung isn't a recognised leader in the diabetic field, there are better people to read and watch
who is better to watch? im always learning.

as for Dr fung, it is not so much what he says, its what others say, hes using everyone elses research and trials as an example, i think if it can fix t2 it should at least help t1

D

Deleted member 83869

I've had dka plenty of times too! I still don't think fasting so much is wise at all

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
who is better to watch? im always learning.

as for Dr fung, it is not so much what he says, its what others say, hes using everyone elses research and trials as an example, i think if it can fix t2 it should at least help t1
T2 and T1 are very different and what works for one doesn't always work for the other. Please be careful when making statements like this. Thanks, Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
T2 and T1 are very different and what works for one doesn't always work for the other. Please be careful when making statements like this. Thanks, Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
they both cause high blood sugar and high glucose, they both have insulin resistance? im aware they have different causes but lead to the same thing, so what are you talking about?

evopilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.?? really...ok great forum, later ;)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I've spent some time trying to answer and now the thread has moved on somewhat: I'll post it anyway!

You are using a mixed insulin.
Humulin M3 30/70 is premixed containing a 70% intermediate acting insulin and 30% short acting.
This one (m3) takes a time to start working so normally taken some time (say 30 min) before a meal
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/medicines/humulin-m3.html
Novomix 30 is a premix containing 70% intermediate and 30% rapid acting.
The rapid part of this works more quickly so is normally taken just before or even just after a meal
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diabetes/medicines/novomix-30.html
Most often people are prescribed these insulins twice a day at breakfast and dinner but if prescribed 3 times a day the expectation is that it is before each of 3 meals.
These diagrams may help you
mixed insulin profiles twice and thrice.png

Images from http://www.betapresentations.com/InsulinMar07b.pdf
You can see (just) that the rapid insulin in the novomix works a bit faster than the short acting in M3, otherwise the action of the basal is similar

The use of these insulins is based upon both eating at regular times and regular amounts. This requires consistent carbohydrate intake because if you reduce insulin because you've stopped eating carbohydrates you will not have sufficient to cover your basal needs. If you don't reduce the insulin then you would hypo. It is not going to work with a on /off fasting schedule and it's no wonder that you are getting very up and down levels.
I did write about how to adjust these insulins but for the moment I've edited it out.
There are more flexible insulin regimes which many of us use but they involve 2 insulins and more injections

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people