LCHF diet question.....

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder too. Some dietary ideas and advice on this forum are very questionable, you have to think for yourself, some try to push advice like they have a PhD in medicine but they only have limited resources and results, they don't know the whole picture. keep studying and gaining your own knowledge for you. Keeping it low carb makes alot of sense though, but some fats like trans fats and saturated fats are bad for you.

You have just contradicted yourself. I quote "Some dietary ideas and advice on this forum are very questionable" - like saying saturated fats are bad for you. Are you saying this because you have a PhD in the subject? I can quote lots of up to date doctors and professors who have concurrent scientific data that contradicts what you suggest regarding saturated fat.

I'm with you on trans-fats though.

Reactions: 2 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no doubt that a lchf diet will help to control diabetes but personally I would find it too restrictive and know I couldnt eat this way for the rest of my life and also there is the problem of cholesterol as it seems that something like 50% of those eating this diet suffer an increase in cholesterol.

I found that the best diet for me was a reduced carb diet with no added fat, the best of both worlds so to speak.

Excellent control and no rise in cholesterol.

And because I have always eaten small portions of potato, rice and cereals I have never felt deprived or awkward when eating out in company.
Your particular diet suits and I'm pleased but where did you get your information stating 50% of those on a LCHF diet suffer increased cholesterol ? My particular levels have improved. I cannot tell you percentages as I don't have them but 50% seems high.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Why do nursing homes have a lot more ladies than men in them .
My mate and me were asking this point straight after Christmas
noticing this fact .

Ladies appear to really outlive the men in them
Made us both wonder about why? how? this is .
Wondered about their diets and activities etc .
They DO appear to eat less in nursing homes also .

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
You have just contradicted yourself. I quote "Some dietary ideas and advice on this forum are very questionable" - like saying saturated fats are bad for you. Are you saying this because you have a PhD in the subject? I can quote lots of up to date doctors and professors who have concurrent scientific data that contradicts what you suggest regarding saturated fat.

I'm with you on trans-fats though.

You can quote lots of hypothesis, and that is all they are. fat is fat mate and im not eating that stuff for anyone but be my guest thats your decision not mine.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
fat is fat mate and im not eating that stuff for anyone
I would strongly recommend that you do. It is the only way to get the essential fat soluble vitamins, unless, of course you prefer to spend money on and take quantities of factory made pills and supplements.
Sally

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I would strongly recommend that you do. It is the only way to get the essential fat soluble vitamins, unless, of course you prefer to spend money on and take quantities of factory made pills and supplements.
Sally
i personally prefer the raw diet which is a total alternative to the hi fat, pills thrills and belly aches, eating dead animals is not my thing, many prefer that, i can see the appeal, meats are very low carb, i tried it for a bit whilst i started here and the influences on the forum suggested this was the way, but its not my way, its makes me feel ill psychologically and physically.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can quote lots of hypothesis, and that is all they are. fat is fat mate and im not eating that stuff for anyone but be my guest thats your decision not mine.

I respect your personal choice but please don't help out of date bad advice, much of which directly or indirectly helped cause us to be here in the first place, persist. There are vegetable sources of healthy saturated fats too, like coconut oil. And it's not hypothesis - do some research and you will find a ton of recent scientific data that is thoroughly reasoned and peer-reviewed as well as lab tested. The hypothesis is that saturated fat is 'bad for you'.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
i personally prefer the raw diet which is a total alternative to the hi fat, pills thrills and belly aches, eating dead animals is not my thing, many prefer that,
Essential, fat soluble vitamins can be obtained without eating meat or animal products. There is plenty of fat in nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, olive oil, coconut oil and, no doubt, many other vegetable products, which have currently slipped my mind. If you don't eat these, you will make yourself ill. As @catherinecherub says, you, Spencer, can do it your way, but others might like to take note.
Sally

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i personally prefer the raw diet which is a total alternative to the hi fat, pills thrills and belly aches, eating dead animals is not my thing, many prefer that, i can see the appeal, meats are very low carb, i tried it for a bit whilst i started here and the influences on the forum suggested this was the way, but its not my way, its makes me feel ill psychologically and physically.

The whole point of LCHF is to get people off pills.

Reactions: 5 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Essential, fat soluble vitamins can be obtained without eating meat or animal products. There is plenty of fat in nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, olive oil, coconut oil and, no doubt, many other vegetable products, which have currently slipped my mind. If you don't eat these, you will make yourself ill. As @catherinecherub says, you, Spencer, can do it your way, but others might like to take note.
Sally

The main problem for a completely non-animal diet is sourcing key fatty acids like EPA and DHA. The best source is fish oil, but some say that if you eat a lot of vegetable fat rich in ALA then the body can just about produce enough EPA and DHA.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
ok so here is my tupence worth....
Started low carbing Jan 2015....have lost 8kg ie just over a stone...fasting BS down from around 7 at xmas to now 5.5mmol....HB1AC at 41 (20-43 range) two weeks ago....(xmas still influencing the numbers I like to think....) Spinning and pilates 3x week.
The idea with low carb high fat is that you try and wean your body off using external carbs for energy and start using body and external fat. Fat does not need insulin to break down and as such you dont get an insulin spike from eating it.....unlike with carbs. One theory goes that too much insulin is causing fat to be stored and that the spikes in insulin are responsible for the various metabolic syndromes eg blood pressure, artery disease, and insulin resistance.
I am still to do a lipid test to see how my colesterol levels are going, however if you listen to Jeff Volek on the ketogenic diet (ie low carb high fat) he shows studies which indicate that lipids are positively affected under ketosis (the process the body uses to break down fat cells to create energy----not to be confused with DKA or diabetic keto-acidosis (which is what diabetics get when their sugar levels rocket to somewhere above 13plus).
(the study I am referring to is at around 28 on the clip.

A good book to read is by Prof Tim Noakes a medical doc and sport scientist who is diabetic t2 himself and has come up with "the Banting way of life" ie its supposed to not be a diet fad. His book is called the "Real meal revolution". He also believes we need to reduce carbs to under 50mg a day.

Personally I think there is a lot to be said for the paleo movement which says we need to go back to eating how we did for 10000 years before the advent of wheat potatoes sugar and all the carbs we are consuming today. In those times we ate meat, root vegetables some berries and of course fat.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Sally
and that is exactly where i get my fat sources from, i like the fact that all the people who have come to jump on and critisies me directly dont know anything about my choices but have an assumption. lmao. get out of my face. phd wannabees

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If at the end of the day our hbA1c drops from whatever diet is chosen & from that diet the person gets all the vitamins etc to maintain healthy then it great. There is no point going on about which is best it's a personal choice which ever diet you have. If people like animal fats then there is no one that can say that is bad as from what I have read somewhere, most of the test that said sats are bad were done on rabbits & rabbits don't eat meat so cause they reacted to the sats cause thier system was not made to have them, so all we were told was total bull ****, once again.
As long as you are healthy on what you eat no matter what diet you choose then it's fine.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
If at the end of the day our hbA1c drops from whatever diet is chosen & from that diet the person gets all the vitamins etc to maintain healthy then it great. There is no point going on about which is best it's a personal choice which ever diet you have. If people like animal fats then there is no one that can say that is bad as from what I have read somewhere, most of the test that said sats are bad were done on rabbits & rabbits don't eat meat so cause they reacted to the sats cause thier system was not made to have them, so all we were told was total bull ****, once again.
As long as you are healthy on what you eat no matter what diet you choose then it's fine.

agree totally...in fact i would go as far as to say....lose the weight in what ever way possible then your HB1AC will improve (as t2)....what gets to me is how we were bamboozled for so long with the low fat thing....also the sugar industry....I grew up with slogans like "sugar gives you go"

When all the dust settles one day I bet you we will find its the sugar thats to blame for all the ills...more so than the other carbs...rant over.... :)

Oh well will just carry on eating less and exercising more :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
and that is exactly where i get my fat sources from, i like the fact that all the people who have come to jump on and critisies me directly dont know anything about my choices but have an assumption. lmao. get out of my face. phd wannabees
You seem to have an attitude problem that won't go down well on here.

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Refined sugar is a modern substance a drug.
It never existed in all of mankind's history until quite recent times.
We are now sugar junkies .... something even as recently as my grandparents generation could never have imagined possible.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thinking to my childhood of the fifties there was hardly any sugar around.
Chocolate was a treat as were all sweets but now they are stacked to the heavens!

Reactions: 5 people