LCHF diet question.....

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking to my childhood of the fifties there was hardly any sugar around.
Chocolate was a treat as were all sweets but now they are stacked to the heavens!

I challenge you Jackthelad....next time u in tesco's or sainsbury's....guestimate what percentage or ration of isles are for carbs and which are for non carb foods.... I think its like 80% carbs 20% other....

We diabetics could walk a lot less in the supermarkets if there were no carbs haha :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a pity that @MissPooh 's thread has got derailed by the endless fat debate.

That wasn't what she asked.
Her question was whether increasing fat in the diet affects cholesterol.

The answer (as I understand it) is that changing to a low carb (higher fat) diet can affect cholesterol levels in a number of ways, but these changes are not necessarily harmful. And it is becoming widely accepted that dietary fat intake has almost no (or none at all) impact on a fasting cholesterol test.

Recent studies on cholesterol (mentioned in the video links posted above) show that diet and cholesterol interact very differently from the simplistic model used by most GPS!

Personally, I am absolutely convinced that switching to very low carb and increasing my intake of both saturated and monounsaturated fats has had very beneficial effects on my health. Weight and cholesterol levels are down (very pleased!), my BG levels are under control, and I am very happy.

All I can suggest is that we all educate ourselves to the best of our ability, and make up our own minds.
Thankfully this forum is a great place to pick up links, ideas and references to follow up.

Reactions: 9 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do nursing homes have a lot more ladies than men in them .
My mate and me were asking this point straight after Christmas
noticing this fact .

Ladies appear to really outlive the men in them
Made us both wonder about why? how? this is .
Wondered about their diets and activities etc .
They DO appear to eat less in nursing homes also .

Ladies have a soothing hormone called Oestrogen....makes them less aggressive and they live longer....probably cause they can take out all their stress on their men haha :)

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
agree totally...in fact i would go as far as to say....lose the weight in what ever way possible then your HB1AC will improve (as t2)....what gets to me is how we were bamboozled for so long with the low fat thing....also the sugar industry....I grew up with slogans like "sugar gives you go"

When all the dust settles one day I bet you we will find its the sugar thats to blame for all the ills...more so than the other carbs...rant over.... :)

Oh well will just carry on eating less and exercising more :)
Your right it is the sugar but also the carbs & starch as they turn to glucose & people have been eating more of those for energy because they cut the fats & now it's back fired in the governments face as there are more & more people suffering from the over indulgence of the glucose producing items in the diet. One day the penny will drop & there will be a turn round but first they will have to convince people they were wrong in what they said & that won't be easy as people have been brainwashed with the stupid claims.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
LCHF has worked wonders for me regarding
Blood glucose levels blood pressure cholesterol and weight.
Couldn't be happier.

I pray that this move toward vegetarianism doesn't grow any larger because if everyone became a veggie the destruction of this planet would accelerate.
Wales would become an overgrown uninhabited wasteland as would many other areas or desertification and mass death would occur.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thinking to my childhood of the fifties there was hardly any sugar around.
Chocolate was a treat as were all sweets but now they are stacked to the heavens!
Yes they are the last thing you see at a checkout in many stores, large or small.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Your right it is the sugar but also the carbs & starch as they turn to glucose & people have been eating more of those for energy because they cut the fats & now it's back fired in the governments face as there are more & more people suffering from the over indulgence of the glucose producing items in the diet. One day the penny will drop & there will be a turn round but first they will have to convince people they were wrong in what they said & that won't be easy as people have been brainwashed with the stupid claims.
How do you mean backfired in the governments face?
The sugar propaganda after the war was corporate not government.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And portion sizes - I was as guilty of that. Apart from sugar in my coffee I didn't really eat a lot of refined sugar. In our household we rarely have puddings, I didn't eat sweetened cereals and I personally didn't consume a lot of candy or chocolate. I did eat a lot of cereal - mainly oats in porridge and muesli (unsweetened) and I ate a lot of wholemeal brown bread. This was all what we were supposed to eat to be healthy! I did eat a lot of rice and potatoes and drink a lot of fruit juice, too and if we did have carbonated drinks I avoided the artificially sweetened ones but this was fairly rare. So I can blame my genes (from my mother's side) and eating too much even though it was supposedly healthy and not being active enough.

Reactions: 6 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And portion sizes - I was as guilty of that. Apart from sugar in my coffee I didn't really eat a lot of refined sugar. In our household we rarely have puddings, I didn't eat sweetened cereals and I personally didn't consume a lot of candy or chocolate. I did eat a lot of cereal - mainly oats in porridge and muesli (unsweetened) and I ate a lot of wholemeal brown bread. This was all what we were supposed to eat to be healthy! I did eat a lot of rice and potatoes and drink a lot of fruit juice, too and if we did have carbonated drinks I avoided the artificially sweetened ones but this was fairly rare. So I can blame my genes (from my mother's side) and eating too much even though it was supposedly healthy and not being active enough.
Yes I know that one but still the rice & spuds played a big part in messing up the pancreas so we developed the condition, no one told us about what too much glucose producing foods would do to us did they.
No they just told us sats were bad so we ate more of the other things for the energy, which really was short lived so we ate more. Vicious circle.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
You seem to have an attitude problem that won't go down well on here.
your turn is it, any one else??? yawwwn!!! if you don't like it ignore me its in the preferences. what is it??? the diabetes gang getting togeva, gonna duff me up, and your getting involved why, you feel its your duty? I'll tell you what i'll do for you i will not bother coming on here again, especially for you is that what you want????? The big man, here he is i'll have go at him, for what?? cos i said Hi Fat cud be bad for your cholesterol? get a grip!!!! Last post im gone byeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your turn is it, any one else??? yawwwn!!! if you don't like it ignore me its in the preferences. what is it??? the diabetes gang getting togeva, gonna duff me up, and your getting involved why, you feel its your duty? I'll tell you what i'll do for you i will not bother coming on here again, especially for you is that what you want????? The big man, here he is i'll have go at him, for what?? cos i said Hi Fat cud be bad for your cholesterol? get a grip!!!!
Man take a chill pill, everyone has their opinion so no need to be like that.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm not convinced by any of the arguments about how this diabetes epidemic started.
There are places and times on this planet where spuds and rice have been the number one food for entire populations for generations .... no diabetes.
My own theory based on much reading and a theory is all it is that is a little flimsy and could and probably will change here and there .... often .... is the latter half of the twentieth century becoming sugar soaked.
Refined sugar by the hundreds of thousands of tons .... a new event in mankind's history.
Sugar in cereals sugar in meats and drinks sugar in nearly everything!
Fats removed and replaced with sugars.
Complex sugars refined sugars fruit sugars alcohol sugars.
Dosed to the eyeballs twenty four hours a day from dawn to dusk on a drug/chemical substance called sugar.
Looks innocent is fun and is sold to us in a myriad forms on every street corner.
This stuff never even existed not that long ago.

Then we have ICI as a food vendor.
That can't be right.
The petro chemical big pharma industry tampering with our food.
Most of our modern worlds food supply is contaminated with chemicals.
Chemicals to give it colour texture taste shel life etc.

Water added to pork and chicken to give it weight.
You can't just inject water into meat and expect it to stay there so a chemical mix is injected under great pressure.
Then we have salt bleach chemical baths that chicken is soaked in.

Then we have the green revolution of the sixties where wheat and grain yeilds rocket!
How?
By crossing edible grasses with grasses that are not edible.
Then theres the chemicals to grow the food in and the chemicals to kill the insects and microbes that compete for our food.
Our diets are massively scientific and industrial totally alien to what people before the twentieth century would have known.
And we wonder why were screwed up!

Ok we're living longer but in a lot of cases heavily medicated to do so.
Heavily looked after by a high tech medical system to do so.
Another side of that is the accelerating problem of people living longer but not knowing who they are where they are what they are doing while crapping their pants in the corner.
I don't think at the end of the day rice and spuds have anything whatsoever to do with today's health problems.

jacquigoggles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reading through the posts it appears to be a viable option, but doesn't it cause your cholesterol to rise?

Anyway, I'm going to try it, this morning I ditched my weetabix and raisins in skimmed milk for a grilled beef sausage with tomato and 2 eggs, scrambled with some cheese thrown in.....assuming I've done it correctly, i enjoyed it, but I do wonder.....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Since starting LCHF my cholesterol levels are getting healthier.
Full fat cream butter yoghurt nuts oils fish are probably my main sources of fat and of course yes I eat meat and sauasages etc.

jacquigoggles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did my first day of LCHF it was quite alien as I love my carbs. However I had no hunger pangs and excellent blood sugar readings all day. Only slight side effect was a bit woozy around midday. .. had a date bar to redress my balance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can we have less of the personal attacks, back on topic please otherwise the thread will be locked.

Reactions: 8 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you mean backfired in the governments face?
The sugar propaganda after the war was corporate not government.
In my case it was government....the sugar board had a campaign "sugar gives you go" issue is governments supported high or higher carb diets....go listen to prof Tim Noakes's posted earlier.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not convinced by any of the arguments about how this diabetes epidemic started.
There are places and times on this planet where spuds and rice have been the number one food for entire populations for generations .... no diabetes.
My own theory based on much reading and a theory is all it is that is a little flimsy and could and probably will change here and there .... often .... is the latter half of the twentieth century becoming sugar soaked.
Refined sugar by the hundreds of thousands of tons .... a new event in mankind's history.
Sugar in cereals sugar in meats and drinks sugar in nearly everything!
Fats removed and replaced with sugars.
Complex sugars refined sugars fruit sugars alcohol sugars.
Dosed to the eyeballs twenty four hours a day from dawn to dusk on a drug/chemical substance called sugar.
Looks innocent is fun and is sold to us in a myriad forms on every street corner.
This stuff never even existed not that long ago.

Then we have ICI as a food vendor.
That can't be right.
The petro chemical big pharma industry tampering with our food.
Most of our modern worlds food supply is contaminated with chemicals.
Chemicals to give it colour texture taste shel life etc.

Water added to pork and chicken to give it weight.
You can't just inject water into meat and expect it to stay there so a chemical mix is injected under great pressure.
Then we have salt bleach chemical baths that chicken is soaked in.

Then we have the green revolution of the sixties where wheat and grain yeilds rocket!
How?
By crossing edible grasses with grasses that are not edible.
Then theres the chemicals to grow the food in and the chemicals to kill the insects and microbes that compete for our food.
Our diets are massively scientific and industrial totally alien to what people before the twentieth century would have known.
And we wonder why were screwed up!

Ok we're living longer but in a lot of cases heavily medicated to do so.
Heavily looked after by a high tech medical system to do so.
Another side of that is the accelerating problem of people living longer but not knowing who they are where they are what they are doing while crapping their pants in the corner.
I don't think at the end of the day rice and spuds have anything whatsoever to do with today's health problems.
My sentiments exactly....I am sure the starches ad to the epidemic, but the big change is sugar....sugar here sugar there sugar everywhere .....this is new in our evolution.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
A small musical break would be appropriate at this juncture ......