Lchf & high blood pressure

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - just wondered if anyone else had high blood pressure after commencing lchf? I know it's normally the opposite but mine was sky high 2day at GPs & never has been before!!! Gotta go back in a few days!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My systolic went up a bit, but my diastolic went down. Not a big change, though.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can't remember which is which but my lower number is now a lot lower!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all - must be a weird blip then! Good to know. Cheers.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all for the replies re: b/p. Mine is now perfect at 120/73 so was worrying unnecessarily - GP had me concerned!

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
My bp was 250/150 which after seeing a bp chart was off the scale I gave my bp a lot of attention ie. Self tested it a lot, it's low normal now but in my quest I have realised just about everything seems to affect bp, recent activity, legs crossed, time since food, mood, how I slept, and just about everything else, I also suffer from white coat syndrome this once resulted in me going to the doc to ask for bp meds to be reduced, reading high in surgery when I was low all other times and the doc wanting to put my meds up :confused:

I reckon bp should be looked at in trends rather than on single readings

Note: I'm not medical

Reactions: 4 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A "lower" carb diet gives me a lower reading. I notice if I eat processed carbs such as pizza and pasta my systolic diastolic goes up. Or it also may be related to salt content of the type of food mentioned. But nevertheless going low carb and mindful eating and planning kept my blood pressure at perfect levels 95-106/70 mmHg. I used to get 140 systolic (at age 30) before I did a change in diet and incorporating regular exercise 3 times a week.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, after reading your comments I need to ask a question....

I've managed to control my BS levels which are now between 5 and 6 with a 4 in the afternoons. But my blood pressure is way too high 134/90.

What do I need to do to reduce this?

I've been on LCHF for the past 3 months which has helped me no end with my BS levels plus now losing 2 stone 7, but now concerned about my blood pressure.

DN reduced my meds so now on 3 x 500 metformin tabs, along with 1x 1.25 Ramiprill. My blood test is back on Friday whereby DN mentioned I may have to increase the Ramiprill.

Is there something I can work on to reduce my blood pressure? I don't really want an increase in meds if I can help it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Foxie x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is a very low dose of Ramipril @Foxie, so increasing it shouldn't be a problem, however exercise and relaxation techniques are good ways of lowering bp naturally.

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @noblehead. It's just I didn't want to increase any meds if anything I wanted to decrease them. :))

I already walk an hour a day 30'mins in the morning and the same again when I get home from work, so maybe I need to increase this?

As for relaxation what's that? Lol
Yes, maybe I need to learn how to chill more.

Big thank you.

Foxie x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I agree with noble head, exercise was a major help with mine

Your doing so well :)

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Andy12345 it's been hard but I think I've got my head round it all now. Just concerns me with blood pressure after being so controlled on my BS levels and eating plan.

Oh well better start upping the exercise a little every day.

I do have a home blood pressure machine, so I will see if it helps with the extra exercise. I will start tomorrow now. :))

I just don't want an increase to any meds at all now.

Felt a little disappointed as she reduce I x metformin due to feeling dizzy. The last time I had my blood test my reading was 16 so I was happy to reduce one tab. :))

Walking shoes on it is then.

Appreciate you feedback.

Foxie x

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi all - just wondered if anyone else had high blood pressure after commencing lchf? I know it's normally the opposite but mine was sky high 2day at GPs & never has been before!!! Gotta go back in a few days!
Some practices have machines which they lend out. I would ask if this is possible and take it over a 2 week period.
hi ther!
Have a read of the following
http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks @noblehead. It's just I didn't want to increase any meds if anything I wanted to decrease them. :))

I already walk an hour a day 30'mins in the morning and the same again when I get home from work, so maybe I need to increase this?

As for relaxation what's that? Lol
Yes, maybe I need to learn how to chill more.

Big thank you.

Foxie x

An hours walking seems fine, I'm sure they say 30 mins is enough. Don't beat yourself up about taking meds, sometimes we have to take them in order to keep ourselves healthy and avoid poor health further down the road.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you drink much coffee?
My Mr B used to drink a lot of coffee (2 or 3 double espressos a day).
His bp was creeping up.
The nurse suggested he cut coffee.
It worked like a charm.
He's taking no more exercise, has gained a bit of weight, and his bp has dropped to middle of normal.
He's delighted.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that too much caffeine can be a cause of raised BP. Also, are you eating too much salt? It can be a fine balance getting the salt right on a LCHF diet.

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I don't drink coffee only green tea no sugar. I only eat fresh produce and never add salt to my cooking.

When I'm back at the DN this Friday for my blood test results, I'm sure she will retest me and make that decision to increase my BP tabs. (Or not)

But in the meantime I'm going to walk an extra 30 mins starting tonight!

Fingers crossed it doesn't rain tonight. :))

Foxie x

Reactions: 4 people