Lchf...is it best to stay on this now

alliebee

I've now been on lchf and had such sucess. Lost 2 stone ...stayed in ketosis the whole time..felt great too!
My question is this. As I'm still in ketosis but don't want to lose any more..quite hard as I'm lighter than I want to be now..and if I raise my protein my bgs go up. Likewise obviously with extra carbs. I'm on 45g to 50 a day.....well that just leaves fat. And as I know the upped fat just makes me lose weight
Any ideas from those who have done this...do I up good GI carbs and lower fats
Thankyou in advance
Allie. Ps my fasting is 8 average. Just my liver
And 5.2 to 6.5 average in the day

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like it's definitely working for you, Im pleased for you Allie, may I ask ? Do you dip test to check whether you're in ketosis? Or do you just know ?

A

AnnieC

I have the same problem I never needed to loose weight but I did loose it when I dropped the carbs and sugar and I have asked this question before. I just wish someone had the answer how to stop loosing weight when on LCHF but no one does. Even googling it does not bring up anything .There is plenty about LCHF as a weight loss diet so presumably if you just did it for that then you would stop when you had lost the weight you wanted to but when doing the diet for diabetes people do not want to stop eating that way
I probably eat more carbs than you do but if I drop the carbs anymore I drop the weight again so not good I eat a normal amount of protein and have fats in olive oil full fat dairy eggs and nuts

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Sounds like it's definitely working for you, Im pleased for you Allie, may I ask ? Do you dip test to check whether you're in ketosis? Or do you just know ?

I use ketostix. But I also have a meter that checks serum levels. The strips are v v expensive so I don't use them often. But I do just " know" when in ketosis. No hunger. Loads of energy. Better sleep. ( and a weird taste in my mouth)

alliebee

I have the same problem I never needed to loose weight but I did loose it when I dropped the carbs and sugar and I have asked this question before. I just wish someone had the answer how to stop loosing weight when on LCHF but no one does. Even googling it does not bring up anything .There is plenty about LCHF as a weight loss diet so presumably if you just did it for that then you would stop when you had lost the weight you wanted to but when doing the diet for diabetes people do not want to stop eating that way
I probably eat more carbs than you do but if I drop the carbs anymore I drop the weight again so not good I eat a normal amount of protein and have fats in olive oil full fat dairy eggs and nuts

Its hard as raising portions a bit are raising my bg readings...that leaves fats. I'm having trouble with that. Tried the fat bombs. But not for me. Yuk...olive oils I'm using to the max. Not keen on nuts. Bullet coffee out as upseting my MS...cheese I'm eating a lot. Can't eat much more...

Depressed of tonbridge wells...:(

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hopefully some of the long term LCHF will be on to advise shortly.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You will raise you BGs until your system becomes re-accustomed to them. I raised mine a little and stayed there for a while and then raised them again until I got to the point I became weight stable. This was surprisingly high amount (around 200g - 250g). Have you actually tried just raising your fats further and see if you stop losing.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Ally its a great way to lose weight very fast...you cut the amount of carbohrydates you eat by a lot. You can eat meat eggs cheese fish cream and salads and leafy green veg. Make buttery sauces and creamy salad dressings but look on the back of every package...read the thread Vivs modified diet..read the low carb forum too. Need to keep your carbs to under 40 g. A day. Then your body stars to use fat stores for energy

alliebee

You will raise you BGs until your system becomes re-accustomed to them. I raised mine a little and stayed there for a while and then raised them again until I got to the point I became weight stable. This was surprisingly high amount (around 200g - 250g). Have you actually tried just raising your fats further and see if you stop losing.
Sadly no. I upp my fats and still lose. I eat a lot too.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Contact diet doctor. You can email him directly. Check out the website. My non diabetic hubbie lost weight quickly but is now stable and eats this diet still. He fluctuates between 5lbs. Never goes above or under. What is the weight range for your height and what do you weigh? My understanding is that once your body reaches the right weight it stabilises.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

Yes Scandi. I'm at right weight for height now and normal bmi. Thanks for tip re diet dr. There is nothing much on line for maintaing on a ketogenic diet

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Im no where near having this problem yet. But i would imagine if you just add a little more carbs a bit at a time that would help. i think that as youve had so few all this time your body is unused to them, so if you increase them slowly you body will get better at controlling the blood sugars with them?

you only need enough to get you out of ketosis.

alliebee

Im no where near having this problem yet. But i would imagine if you just add a little more carbs a bit at a time that would help. i think that as youve had so few all this time your body is unused to them, so if you increase them slowly you body will get better at controlling the blood sugars with them?

That's is probably what I will have to do....will.just have to put up with raised bg awhile....although I really don't want a return to carb cravings

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Adding a little fat over a long term basis your body will initially lose a tad more, but it will even out. I lost 10lb without wanting to when I first added more fat in. However, I stabilised with this amount of fat and keep to the same brie and cream etc everyday now and rarely shift more than 1lb in either direction...

Definitely no extra carbs.. Just a slight increase in calories from fat..

Reactions: 5 people
A

AnnieC

Me to
Me to more fats did not stop me loosing and I also have a very good appetite My weight is stable now... I would still like to put on a bit... but afraid to drop carbs any lower as I know I will loose weight again..Luckily my BG levels are not to bad just waiting now to see if my second blood test shows I am T2 last one was 7.1 has to be 7 and over at two consecutive tests 2 weeks apart to be T2

alliebee

Me to

Me to more fats did not stop me loosing and I also have a very good appetite My weight is stable now... I would still like to put on a bit... but afraid to drop carbs any lower as I know I will loose weight again..Luckily my BG levels are not to bad just waiting now to see if my second blood test shows I am T2 last one was 7.1 has to be 7 and over at two consecutive tests 2 weeks apart to be T2
Hi Annie. How many carbs to you have a day please?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @alliebee , You have a good doctor and a friend who is a consultant cardiologist that is a fan of the LCHF diet.
I am sure they know more about your personal health than we do.
I would seek and take their advice as priority due to your recent flare up of MS.
I am just a bit concerned some of us could be giving you bad advice with knowing it.
Please stay and keep well.:):)

alliebee

Hi @alliebee , You have a good doctor and a friend who is a consultant cardiologist that is a fan of the LCHF diet.
I am sure they know more about your personal health than we do.
I would seek and take their advice as priority due to your recent flare up of MS.
I am just a bit concerned some of us could be giving you bad advice with knowing it.
Please stay and keep well.:):)
Thanks yes I do. I think its a bit of trial and effort at the moment fine tuning it. Thanks though. My gp is a low carber type 2. I'll have to pick his brains if I get too stuck