LCHF Life Change Result!!

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 in April 2003. I was told that I was controlling my condition well. My medication had been changed over the years. About 4 years ago it was adjusted and I was on 2 x1g Metformin SR and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin and Simvastatin 1x 10mg.

I continued to have my annual eye screening and then In November 2016 was told I had “background diabetes retinopathy”. Shock Horror…what have I been doing wrong!!

I was recommended to read the Michal Mosely book “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” by a family member and I came across this web site and then realised what I was doing wrong – Following the guidelines issued by the NHS!!

I had been on various diets but found it very difficult to lose weight and keep it off!

I never had a problem with cholesterol. My results were generally between 2.8 and 3.4. My HbA1c range over the years were 50 to 55.

So at the beginning of December 2016 which incidentally was 4 weeks before my annual diabetic check-up I started LCHF diet. I didn’t count calories but checked the carb content of food I was about to eat. I cut out bread potatoes and pasta and breakfast cereal and started to eat things which I’d been told were “bad” for me. I found that I felt full for longer and as a consequence I started to lose weight.

When the results of my HbA1c came back my figure was 43. I suggested to the DN that this was a direct result of the LHFC. (At this point I’d lost 19lbs) and that I wanted a check again after a further few months into my diet.

Well I had my results back mid-April and my HbA1c was down to 36. I was now in the "normal" range. I had lost 41lbs since starting the diet and still losing. BMI is now 25.1. The DN agreed with me to reduce my medication to just 1g Metformin (although the doctor doesn’t want me to stop Simvastatin) I will be going back in 4 months’ time to see if I can come off Metformin and Simvastatin.

I just wanted to share this with you as even someone who is 63 has had Type 2 for over 10 years can go into remission.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done! That is a wonderful and inspiring achievement. :)

I never had a problem with cholesterol. My results were generally between 2.8 and 3.4.

Are you happy about this cholesterol level? Have you got previous heart/stroke/CVD issues? I really do not wish to rain on your parade, but this is rather low. Did you agree to continue with the statins? I understand your GP wants you to continue with them, but did you ask him why, when your cholesterol is so low and your HbA1c well under control? Do you have the full breakdown (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides and ratios?) Perhaps with these figures you could make a proper informed decision on whether you need them or not. There are plenty of threads on the forums about cholesterol and statins if you use the search box. If you do have existing CVD problems then it is a different matter.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! That is a wonderful and inspiring achievement. :)

Are you happy about this cholesterol level? Have you got previous heart/stroke/CVD issues? I really do not wish to rain on your parade, but this is rather low. Did you agree to continue with the statins? I understand your GP wants you to continue with them, but did you ask him why, when your cholesterol is so low and your HbA1c well under control? Do you have the full breakdown (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides and ratios?) Perhaps with these figures you could make a proper informed decision on whether you need them or not. There are plenty of threads on the forums about cholesterol and statins if you use the search box. If you do have existing CVD problems then it is a different matter.
dfe5610734151ce7770b85bd9460320d.jpg

These are the latest Cholesterol results. I haven't had any issues but my father died at age 69 following strokes. But it is something I intend to raise when I go back in 3 to 4 months time. Thank you for your support.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Absolutely fantastic! I'm having the same results as you.
Low carb is absolutely the way to go. I am now drug free and managing my type 2 with diet and exercise. It has taken me 4 years to find the right life regime and attitude to manage this disease.
Isn't it a great relief!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut out bread potatoes and pasta and breakfast cereal and started to eat things which I’d been told were “bad” for me.

Congratulations on finding the courage to try out LCHF and getting the results...

Reactions: miriamy

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dfe5610734151ce7770b85bd9460320d.jpg

These are the latest Cholesterol results. I haven't had any issues but my father died at age 69 following strokes. But it is something I intend to raise when I go back in 3 to 4 months time. Thank you for your support.

You might find that if you include more saturated fat ( butter!) in your regime, your HDL will go up ( it worked for me ).I got mine up from 1 to 1.4 doing this at the same time my trigs came down from 1.4 to 0 .76. ,my cholesterol is now 3.9 from a start of 5.5 . Good luck and great result so far.

Reactions: wolfie53

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@wolfie53 congratulations on your own efforts, so sorry that those who should know better appear to have caused you harm. I would ask your Doc point blank about Statins "Is it the money Doc?"

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As another LCHF who has just achieved "normal" HbA1c after finally sticking rigorously to the LC part, well done!

I would suggest that you arrange to come off the statins for a trial period to establish if you really need them. My cholesterol is far higher than yours but I am resisting statins because of the dire side effects I have had in the past.

There is also a growing body of evidence to suggest that low cholesterol is worse for you than high cholesterol, especially past 60. Surgeries have financial incentives to prescribe statins which may have a small influence on their advice. It is also worth coming off statins for a while to confirm that you have no side effects which you thought were due to diabetes, old age and disgraceful living but were in fact due to the statins.:)

I would consider sticking with the Metformin at a lower dosage because there is another growing body of evidence which suggests that Metformin has benefits in areas where it is not licensed to be prescribed including reducing the risk of dementia. I read a while back that a well controlled T2 on Metformin now has a better life expectancy than a non diabetic.

Random link https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....increase-number-of-healthy-years-extend-life/ from a quick search.

On the subject of butter; I eat/drink quite a lot (lump of butter and double cream in my morning coffee) and this hasn't reduced my total cholesterol. High fat does apparently improve your blood lipids for most people, but some of us are "special".

I suspect that my numbers might improve if I gave up alcohol but I have few remaining pleasures. I might go dry for 6 months just to check, but not today.

Losing a bit more weight could well reinforce all your gains. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: wolfie53 and Maniss

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fantastic news, I'm really pleased for you, I'm hoping for a similar result when I next have my check up, maybe not as low this time, but it is a work in progress! LCHF is definitely the way to go :happy:

Maniss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed type 2 in April 2003. I was told that I was controlling my condition well. My medication had been changed over the years. About 4 years ago it was adjusted and I was on 2 x1g Metformin SR and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin and Simvastatin 1x 10mg.

I continued to have my annual eye screening and then In November 2016 was told I had “background diabetes retinopathy”. Shock Horror…what have I been doing wrong!!

I was recommended to read the Michal Mosely book “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” by a family member and I came across this web site and then realised what I was doing wrong – Following the guidelines issued by the NHS!!

I had been on various diets but found it very difficult to lose weight and keep it off!

I never had a problem with cholesterol. My results were generally between 2.8 and 3.4. My HbA1c range over the years were 50 to 55.

So at the beginning of December 2016 which incidentally was 4 weeks before my annual diabetic check-up I started LCHF diet. I didn’t count calories but checked the carb content of food I was about to eat. I cut out bread potatoes and pasta and breakfast cereal and started to eat things which I’d been told were “bad” for me. I found that I felt full for longer and as a consequence I started to lose weight.

When the results of my HbA1c came back my figure was 43. I suggested to the DN that this was a direct result of the LHFC. (At this point I’d lost 19lbs) and that I wanted a check again after a further few months into my diet.

Well I had my results back mid-April and my HbA1c was down to 36. I was now in the "normal" range. I had lost 41lbs since starting the diet and still losing. BMI is now 25.1. The DN agreed with me to reduce my medication to just 1g Metformin (although the doctor doesn’t want me to stop Simvastatin) I will be going back in 4 months’ time to see if I can come off Metformin and Simvastatin.

I just wanted to share this with you as even someone who is 63 has had Type 2 for over 10 years can go into remission.

Maniss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I did follow Michael Mosely book “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet”; although I lost weight my BG reading was still high. I was desperate to find answers and came across this forum. Now I am on LCHF diet since 8th May this year and now seeing reduction in the BG readings. From 12 - 14, its around 7.5 - 9, which is promising for me !

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I did follow Michael Mosely book “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet”; although I lost weight my BG reading was still high. I was desperate to find answers and came across this forum. Now I am on LCHF diet since 8th May this year and now seeing reduction in the BG readings. From 12 - 14, its around 7.5 - 9, which is promising for me !
Best of luck with the LCHF. It really does work! Seeing the fall in one's BG readings spurred me on and I'm sure it will for you!