LCHF Life Change Result!!

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@LittleGreyCat Thank you for your reply. I had intended to wait till my next HbA1c before asking to drop the statin's. But I've made an appointment to tell the doc that I will be stopping them so that we can see the results at the same time. I've been on them for so long now. I can't remember when I started them. I originally was on 40mg (now 10mg after I request a reduced dose about 5 years ago)
I'm now wondering if they were the cause of my diabetes or at least a contributory factor.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@LittleGreyCat Thank you for your reply. I had intended to wait till my next HbA1c before asking to drop the statin's. But I've made an appointment to tell the doc that I will be stopping them so that we can see the results at the same time. I've been on them for so long now. I can't remember when I started them. I originally was on 40mg (now 10mg after I request a reduced dose about 5 years ago)
I'm now wondering if they were the cause of my diabetes or at least a contributory factor.

They may well have contributed to your diabetes. Raised blood sugar levels is a common side effect, and there is a warning about this on the information leaflets. For what it's worth, I think you have made the right decision. Then see what happens at your next test.

Reactions: wolfie53

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @wolfie53 very well done. I am glad that you are looking to potentially come off the statins. I would say the pendulum swings about the benefits of Metformin, as ever knowledge and testing for the individual are key; Metformin caused by GFR to reduce, it does this for some who take it. Have you had your kidney function tested. With a HbA1c of 36 (same as mine), it is likely you can drop the diabetic drugs if you choose to do so - it is so liberating if this works for you, particularly if you continue to get great results after.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

James2

I was diagnosed type 2 in April 2003. I was told that I was controlling my condition well. My medication had been changed over the years. About 4 years ago it was adjusted and I was on 2 x1g Metformin SR and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin and Simvastatin 1x 10mg.

I continued to have my annual eye screening and then In November 2016 was told I had “background diabetes retinopathy”. Shock Horror…what have I been doing wrong!!

I was recommended to read the Michal Mosely book “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” by a family member and I came across this web site and then realised what I was doing wrong – Following the guidelines issued by the NHS!!

I had been on various diets but found it very difficult to lose weight and keep it off!

I never had a problem with cholesterol. My results were generally between 2.8 and 3.4. My HbA1c range over the years were 50 to 55.

So at the beginning of December 2016 which incidentally was 4 weeks before my annual diabetic check-up I started LCHF diet. I didn’t count calories but checked the carb content of food I was about to eat. I cut out bread potatoes and pasta and breakfast cereal and started to eat things which I’d been told were “bad” for me. I found that I felt full for longer and as a consequence I started to lose weight.

When the results of my HbA1c came back my figure was 43. I suggested to the DN that this was a direct result of the LHFC. (At this point I’d lost 19lbs) and that I wanted a check again after a further few months into my diet.

Well I had my results back mid-April and my HbA1c was down to 36. I was now in the "normal" range. I had lost 41lbs since starting the diet and still losing. BMI is now 25.1. The DN agreed with me to reduce my medication to just 1g Metformin (although the doctor doesn’t want me to stop Simvastatin) I will be going back in 4 months’ time to see if I can come off Metformin and Simvastatin.

I just wanted to share this with you as even someone who is 63 has had Type 2 for over 10 years can go into remission.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Re statins and diabetes.

Weird that the first act of most GPs when a patient is diagnosed with T2 is to prescribe statins which have a listed side effect of increasing the risk of developing diabetes.

One would think that this would potentially make the diabetes worse and reduce to chances of reversal/remission.

I can understand that the risk of developing diabetes may be viewed as a lesser risk than a heart attack, but it does look bizarre.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re statins and diabetes.

Weird that the first act of most GPs when a patient is diagnosed with T2 is to prescribe statins which have a listed side effect of increasing the risk of developing diabetes.

One would think that this would potentially make the diabetes worse and reduce to chances of reversal/remission.

I can understand that the risk of developing diabetes may be viewed as a lesser risk than a heart attack, but it does look bizarre.
I think I was prescribed statin' s due to FH-CVA my father had heart attack when he was 63 and died following a stroke when he was 69. I can't remember the exact date I was put on them but I think it may have been before diabetes diagnosis. I will be seeing a senior doctor at the surgery tomorrow to tell him I will drop them for 4 months and we can both review all results then and go from there.
Thank you and for all others who have responded.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctor has agreed with me to come of Simvastatin for a trial period. He listened and agreed that the cholesterol seems OK and "it will be interesting to see if the side effect" I mentioned do clear up. He finished by saying" I'm probably right about It"
So once again thank you all for your input and watch this space

Reactions: Guzzler

lindisfel

Expert
Not true, doctors don't get paid for prescribing particular drugs. They prescribe according to NICE guidelines , blame the guidelines not the doctors, they have a hard enough job seeing an overwhelming number of sick people. D.
@wolfie53 congratulations on your own efforts, so sorry that those who should know better appear to have caused you harm. I would ask your Doc point blank about Statins "Is it the money Doc?"

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well here are the most recent results after being off Simvastatin for 3 months. They are up but should I stay off the Statins Hb1ac up to 38 from 36 I take 1 1000mg Sr metformin having reduced this from 2x and dropped stiglapin
2d9278b67436c015ff2d648e6f1dd6c3.jpg

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results! Why would you want to go back on statins? There isn't one figure out of range. They are bound to be higher than when you were on statins, but they are all within range, and good.

Reactions: wolfie53 and Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was put on statins and turned into a grumpy old man in weeks.
He decided to stop them as he was having indigestion all the time, and his temperament has improved no end.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband was put on statins and turned into a grumpy old man in weeks.
He decided to stop them as he was having indigestion all the time, and his temperament has improved no end.

My husband came off statins about 3 years ago. He is still a grumpy old man. ;)

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent results! Why would you want to go back on statins? There isn't one figure out of range. They are bound to be higher than when you were on statins, but they are all within range, and good.
I rang doctors surgery to arrange appointment to see DN to discuss all results but they want me to see their pharmacist instead. So hopefully they will agree with me to ditch Simvastatin and stop the Metformin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations! Well done that man.

wolfie53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely Wolfie!
What do you eat on a typical day?
Breakfast 2 scrambled eggs rasher of bacon half tin of tomatoes.
Lunch homemade soup and celery with dip
Dinner meat or fish and Mediterranean veg or salad
For snack either nuts pork scratchings or chuck of cheese

Reactions: miriamy

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Absolutely fantastic! I'm having the same results as you.
Low carb is absolutely the way to go. I am now drug free and managing my type 2 with diet and exercise. It has taken me 4 years to find the right life regime and attitude to manage this disease.
Isn't it a great relief!
couldn't agree with you more - mirrors my pwn experience almost exactly!

Reactions: miriamy