LCHF

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trying to take control and starting LCHF to bring my BS down, and coupled with exercise, lose some weight.
Checking with my Warfarin Clinic on Friday that I'm OK to start monitoring my BS.

Can anyone tell me if Carbs and Cals is available in either a Kindle edition or as an app instead of hard copy please?
I'm struggling to know where to start and get my head around this as it seems to go against the grain. I get the low carbs, but can't quite accept the high fat bit.
Will need to start making major changes to my diet as I've been quite shocked when reading the What Have You Eaten Today threads.
I appreciate that I need to find out what suits me, but some things that people are able to eat have surprised me.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have Carbs & Cals as an app on my Android tablet. Very useful............

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
If you google Carbs & Cals, you then need to click on "Carbs & Cals - Diabetes & Diet - Android apps on Google". On my screen it's the 3rd one down. It's much better than the book as it contains 3,500 food and drinks photos and the book only has 1,700. It's not a freebie, I think I paid something in the region of £3-99.

Good luck

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to take control and starting LCHF to bring my BS down, and coupled with exercise, lose some weight.
Checking with my Warfarin Clinic on Friday that I'm OK to start monitoring my BS.

Can anyone tell me if Carbs and Cals is available in either a Kindle edition or as an app instead of hard copy please?
I'm struggling to know where to start and get my head around this as it seems to go against the grain. I get the low carbs, but can't quite accept the high fat bit.
Will need to start making major changes to my diet as I've been quite shocked when reading the What Have You Eaten Today threads.
I appreciate that I need to find out what suits me, but some things that people are able to eat have surprised me.
Hi @learning2me i also found it difficult to understand the concept that full fat is better than low fat. For years I ate low fat as I considered it healthier but never lost much weight however since lowering my carbs and eating full, as opposed to low, fat foods I've lost about 3 stone, and am still losing weight, and my latest hba1c in July was 36

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The high fat thing blew my mind.

Decades of programming took quite a while to overcome! And then, even though I was trying, it was still weird to have to overcome a conditioned daily reluctance. Luckily, I was also able to see how my body benefited, so that helped the transition.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Once you understand that the body needs fats like olive oil to repair its self you can move forward. Carbs have been used as fuel for your body so far ..but carbs turn to sugar when eaten ..so they are addictive.. When you reduce carbs to say 30 to 50g a day you need to get your fuel from somewhere else .. So this is where that full fat comes in.. Your body is going to be receiving regular amounts of fat so it's not needing to store fat .. Therefore you will loose excess fat from your body. Fat will not increase your sugar levels like carbs do, so it works to keep the T2 diabetes in check.. Test your bloods regularly to see if any foods have an unwanted impact on your blood sugar. If your not vegetarian or vegan then your protein is easy to get from meat .. Keep the fat on the cuts of meat .. Don't go overboard with the protein as its no needed is vast amounts.

Edited to add ... Your Dr will warn about eating some green veg as its thought to increase blood clotting ..I am not on warfarin myself ..but have found that I need to reduce my aspirin as my blood clotting had reduced since LCHF . So you may need to request extra blood tests to keep your warfarin dose correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started on warfarin I was told not to try to lose weight or change my diet until they had my INR levels at a therapeutic level. For me the risk of a stroke was greater than the risk that my diabetes would do any harm in the 6 weeks or so that I took to stabilise on warfarin. Then I changed to the diet I wanted and they adjusted my warfarin levels accordingly. I found that the better the diet for my BGs , the higher the dose of warfarin required.

This may not be the case with you, I am telling you just in case so you can be prepared. :) Let us know how you get on.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I started on warfarin I was told not to try to lose weight or change my diet until they had my INR levels at a therapeutic level. For me the risk of a stroke was greater than the risk that my diabetes would do any harm in the 6 weeks or so that I took to stabilise on warfarin. Then I changed to the diet I wanted and they adjusted my warfarin levels accordingly. I found that the better the diet for my BGs , the higher the dose of warfarin required.

This may not be the case with you, I am telling you just in case so you can be prepared. :) Let us know how you get on.
Thanks Zand, warfarin is not to be messed with ...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)No it's not, but once you get used to it, it's OK. I never minded taking it as it's a tried and tested drug. it takes a bit of getting used to, that's all.

Oh, I have had a thought. When they test your warfarin levels at clinic they need a bigger drop of blood than you need to test BG's so I can't see that testing BG's would be a problem, but ask them anyway. :)

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to everyone who has replied to me.
I think I'm trying to keep too many balls in the air at once here.
Embolisms and side effects (my heart was damaged), warfarin and diabetes,
Need to find something that works for all three.

I'm at the hospital tomorrow to have my INR checked, then have an ECG, so hoping that will be a starting point and I can buy a meter and start testing.
In the meantime I'm trying my best with diet.
Porridge, salad with protein, berries and quorn or chicken meal with veggies at night.
Drinking water or occasionally carefully chosen diluted juice or flavoured water, tea with semi skimmed milk.
Definitely starting to feel better after two weeks, but experiencing some stomach pains and a lot of wind!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes it takes time to get your head around everything and with more than diabetes to worry about it is made even more difficult. Dont try and do too much at once, its better to get one thing sorted at a time.

Reactions: 4 people