Learned something important about depression and diabetes today

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
My psychologist said up to 40% of diabetics have "disorded mood" or what might commonly be referred to as depression. I already knew this but assumed it was like common or garden depression. It's not.

He said it tends to be a kind of lowered threshold for irritability, a short fuse, along with a range of other mood-related symptoms.

My own experience agrees with this view. The higher my BG goes, the shorter my fuse gets. My ability to tolerate or manage stressful events goes down the tubes. I'm not saying it is like this for everyone, of course.

I imagine the high blood sugar affects brain function. Perhaps it affects a hormone in the brain.

Hormones are like chemical messengers and there are at least 200 different hormones communicating within your brain and between your brain and the rest of your body all the time. They regulate heartbeat, breathing, temperature, mood, thinking, sleep, waking to run or fight, to feel relaxed and so on.

There must be hormones that tell us when our blood sugar is too high or too low. It's a delicately balanced system and I suppose sustained hyperglycemia throws it out of kilter.

I had depression before I developed diabetes. He said about 10% of the population has it at any given time and that rings true for me. After developing diabetes, I became more irritable.

My HbA1c at diagnosis was in the mid 50s, IIRC. for 7 years it stayed well below that, even in the 30s for a long time thanks to LCHF eating.

Then I burned out, not just from diabetes but from everything. I stopped caring about what I was eating and to some extent had a false sense of security because I had been doing so well for so long. (Obviously because I cared about what I was eating, LOL).

I have spent the last two years getting more and more irritable - with myself, those around me, inanimate objects, and the world in general.

Now that I know a certain proportion of the public likely has increased irritability caused by diabetes (or other conditions) I can cut people a bit more slack. Instantly, I found I can tolerate people more. Amazing.

It's true what they say - We don't know what we don't know.

And now you know.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must have been running with v high blood sugars for a long time before being diagnosed LADA T1. My hba1c on diagnosis was 147. For months beforehand I was tetchy and irritable. The smallest things would make me want to cry - not at all like me.

That feeling of stress is now a good indicator that my BG levels are >12.

My dad was warned by his GP that he was in the pre diabetic range. Since he's lost weight he's dropped down to non diabetic range and mum says his mood has improved too.

So yup, I can see how BG affects mood and can lead to depression!

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's very interesting, Jenny 15. It has been commented on that now my bgs have settled down I'm not nearly as irritable as I was before. And I do feel calmer about life in general - more accepting of my situation maybe.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
51 years on insulin.
Thank you Jenny for your insightful post.
I have suffered with depression but there was a strong family history to begin with.
My T1D began well beforehand but I noted the down mood after hypos and the irritability when my BSLS were high.
Also now my legs become very irritable and I have to move them. I have been diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome and take medication for this.
But the particular depression I suffer with is called agitated depression. Not sure if agitated depression is more common in diabetics,
Restless legs syndrome is common in diabetics from what I have read and if it occurs in the day as well as the night it is a irritant and does get me down. But anti-depressants, which I am prescribed, can sometimes make restless legs worse.
Like they say, you cannot win. Also more than 3 cups of coffee per day makes the legs worse also.
Apologies for the slight diversion off topic but thought it might be of use to someone.
Best Wishes with your mood and sugars levels.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
51 years on insulin.
Thank you Jenny for your insightful post.
I have suffered with depression but there was a strong family history to begin with.
My T1D began well beforehand but I noted the down mood after hypos and the irritability when my BSLS were high.
Also now my legs become very irritable and I have to move them. I have been diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome and take medication for this.
But the particular depression I suffer with is called agitated depression. Not sure if agitated depression is more common in diabetics,
Restless legs syndrome is common in diabetics from what I have read and if it occurs in the day as well as the night it is a irritant and does get me down. But anti-depressants, which I am prescribed, can sometimes make restless legs worse.
Like they say, you cannot win. Also more than 3 cups of coffee per day makes the legs worse also.
Apologies for the slight diversion off topic but thought it might be of use to someone.
Best Wishes with your mood and sugars levels.
Thank you for your good wishes and your interesting post, which I think is ON topic because you're talking about the kinds of issues many diabetics have that go beyond diabetes. I find that really helpful and I'm sure others would too.

I have RLS from one of the drugs I take for depression/insomnia, Seroquel (Quetiapine). I only take a tiny dose at night, 25mg to help me sleep, but it is enough to cause a bit of RLS. Previously I was also taking another drug like it in the same class and it contributed to the RLS big time. That is when I went on a drug for RLS and it is a lifesaver. It's a horrible condition and for some people nothing seems to help.

Given how hard it is to find an insomnia drug with benefits outweighing side effects, I have always been reluctant to give up Seroquel. I hope one day something better comes along. I really have tried everything, over many years.

It's amazing how much better I feel after hearing today that my extremely short fuse may not be completely due to a moral failing on my part, LOL. I try so hard to keep it under control but now I know I am fighting a physical issue as well as a willpower issue. I'm much more optimistic now.

Hotpepper20000

I can say this holds true for me as well.
I am calmer and find I can process and work though difficult situations much easier.

I think with the actual physical problems like high BG, inflammation and pain, is finally knowing what is wrong.
For years (15 or more) I knew I was too young to be feeling so tired and woren out. Exercise and eating „right“ didn’t change anything.
Going to doctors and being told that if I lost weight I would feel better. Instead of investigating why I was fat they asummed it was because I was lazy and ate junk. So yes having Type 2 made me depressed.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Theres a trial going on in some CCGs that is putting people with any critical illness to have more support for depression. Cambridge and Peterborough have had good responses in giving support to these persons rather than just giving antidepression tablets...
Its not just diabetes. Tgere are many centres from Macmillan that focus on therapy for patients, just a shame that the same isnt given to diabetes.. therapy such as counselling one 1 to 1's or groups, relaxation, art therapy, acupuncture, talks, moving forward, etc.... no tablets!!

Reactions: ally1

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Theres a trial going on in some CCGs that is putting people with any critical illness to have more support for depression. Cambridge and Peterborough have had good responses in giving support to these persons rather than just giving antidepression tablets...
Its not just diabetes. Tgere are many centres from Macmillan that focus on therapy for patients, just a shame that the same isnt given to diabetes.. therapy such as counselling one 1 to 1's or groups, relaxation, art therapy, acupuncture, talks, moving forward, etc.... no tablets!!
I agree with you about giving support to people with diabetes. It's something that is happening in NZ and probably also in Australia, who seem to have a really good handle on mental health support across the board. At least in comparison to NZ.

Meds for depression can be a lifesaver, literally. It's always a balancing ask for a patient and doctor to weigh up... if they are needed and will help, meds are good for depression. If they're not, they're not. I went years before starting on meds for depression. They are not enough on their own, I need "talk therapy" too, but I don't think I would still be here without them. I am absolutely not "at risk" these days, thanks to excellent health care and family supports, just to reassure everyone.

Reactions: donnellysdogs