Leaving the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you being too strict with these numbers? To me they look 100% normal, and many on here would kill for them. What was the average when you last used a Libre? I am surprised you don't keep data on a spread sheet so you can average your readings. I know all my averages of FBG, before each meal, and after each meal at different times, plus bedtimes.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you don't go. I enjoy your posts. The thread you started about the T1 honeymoon period is excellent and I believe that now it has grown a few pages will be a great resource for newbie T1s as several T1s have written about their own experiences with carbs, protein, insulin info etc. I have taken on board some of their points to help me with my own T2 control too. One of the best threads ever as it shows how diverse we all are. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you being too strict with these numbers? To me they look 100% normal, and many on here would kill for them. What was the average when you last used a Libre? I am surprised you don't keep data on a spread sheet so you can average your readings. I know all my averages of FBG, before each meal, and after each meal at different times, plus bedtimes.
I haven't ever used a Libre. I have actually bought a Reader and some sensors but haven't yet got my nerve up to attach the thing. I think I need a husband to help! I do keep a careful record of my fbgs. My GP likes them. Post prandial numbers are impossible to be sure of, as I explained. I could construct a table of readings for 2 hours pp but they would be fictional. The real rise would come later due to the gastroparesis. I get the highest rises in the late afternoon / evening, often even if I have not eaten anything. Yes, 6 is a low post p reading, but not if it comes after a virtually carb-free meal and my bg stays at 6 til bedtime.

I know you don't agree that cardiac risks rise steeply above an A1c of 34, but I do believe this and I have seen a lot of studies supporting this belief.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only problem with all of this of course is that this is an internet forum.. we only have each others words to go on.
Alexandra could be a 6 foot 5 inch 30 stone bloke with Type 2 and an HbA1c of 120... but we don't know that.
Nor do we know whether others are correct in their diagnosis or that their doctors are correct either.
I could be Dr Jason Fung standing next to a chubby guy in a grey polo shirt... who knows?
But the guy in the grey polo shirt isn't chubby lol.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 Just a thought but there is the options of other or rather not say in the profile choices and after all this forum I thought was open to all diabetic or non diabetic your perception of your own status is entirely your own affair and cannot be dictated to you. Please don't go..
@JohnEGreen thanks! I didn't realise "Rather not say" was an option. I'm using that for now, but ....

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you don't go. I enjoy your posts. The thread you started about the T1 honeymoon period is excellent and I believe that now it has grown a few pages will be a great resource for newbie T1s as several T1s have written about their own experiences with carbs, protein, insulin info etc. I have taken on board some of their points to help me with my own T2 control too. One of the best threads ever as it shows how diverse we all are. :)
@zand thanks very much. It was that thread that got me into trouble.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand thanks very much. It was that thread that got me into trouble.
Thought it might have been :) I think my comments on this thread might have got me into trouble too lol cos my account is suddenly running rather slowly, those pesky gremlins eh? :rolleyes: I think I'll go away for a while until the pesky little critters have given up.

Been trying to log out for 5 mins lol. In the words of one of my favourite songs...

'Relax,' said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

I just wanna log out and I'm stuck here lol :hilarious:

Reactions: mike@work

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
But prediabetes is classed as having a HBA1C between 42-48mmol/L right?

I'm intrigued by the reliance on an HbA1c being used to identify whether one is non diabetic, pre-diabetic or diabetic.

What is HbA1c - Definition, Units, Conversion, Testing Control.png

According to this I'm presently in the pre-diabetic range (last HbA1c was 46) and have in the past been very close to normal (been as low as 42). In my dreams! I only have to look at what happens when I have one slice of bread or even a couple of eggs. Like most things in life, it's never that straight forward.

. . . . . . . That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shame. It's a good thread.

See if your GP will authorise an anti body blood test. That'll give you a better indication.
Thanks! I think I'll wait till I've had one or two goes with a Libre. That may possibly throw up some readings to back up my request. She has already refused me a c-peptide test.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm intrigued by the reliance on an HbA1c being used to identify whether one is non diabetic, pre-diabetic or diabetic.

View attachment 29020
According to this I'm presently in the pre-diabetic range (last HbA1c was 46) and have in the past been very close to normal (been as low as 42). In my dreams! I only have to look at what happens when I have one slice of bread or even a couple of eggs. Like most things in life, it's never that straight forward.

. . . . . . . That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.

Well it is a good job I am not a healthcare professional, merely a forum user with diabetes who can not possibly diagnose such a disease :D . You are what you are diagnosed. I am not stating solely that HBA1C is an indicator of diabetes, but it's a tool used towards diagnosis. I am a type 1 diabetic who has been in the prediabtic zone before, having been as low as 41mmol/L. Unfortunately I will never be relieved of my diabeticness :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma and Prem51

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well it is a good job I am not a healthcare professional, merely a forum user with diabetes who can not possibly diagnose such a disease. You are what you are diagnosed. I am not stating solely that HBA1C is an indicator of diabetes, but it's a tool used towards diagnosis. I am a type 1 diabetic who has been in the prediabtic zone before, having been as low as 41mmol/L. Unfortunately I will never be relieved of my diabeticness :(
With an HbA1c of 40, does that mean I’m not diabetic any more? I wish... I knew all that turmeric and kale would cure me eventually! :D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it is a good job I am not a healthcare professional, merely a forum user with diabetes who can not possibly diagnose such a disease :D . You are what you are diagnosed. I am not stating solely that HBA1C is an indicator of diabetes, but it's a tool used towards diagnosis. I am a type 1 diabetic who has been in the prediabtic zone before, having been as low as 41mmol/L. Unfortunately I will never be relieved of my diabeticness :(

Which is why, following @Alexandra100 criticising my avatar status, I changed it from Type 2 to "Type 2 (in remission)" rather than "I have reversed my type 2". And as remission and reversal can only be achieved without the use of medication, it will not happen to type 1s, even with low HbA1cs.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which is why, following @Alexandra100 criticising my avatar status, I changed it from Type 2 to "Type 2 (in remission)" rather than "I have reversed my type 2". And as remission and reversal can only be achieved without the use of medication, it will not happen to type 1s, even with low HbA1cs.

I tell you it's a minefield out there.
I've been a T2 since my first DN told me back in '14 and no one has told me anything different since....
so still a T2 on diet and exercise.... a truly excellent swim this morning, makes the late night work doable.
:happy:

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wheres the one for

"Type 1 diabetic (Controls it so well might as well be non diabetic don't be so silly with yourself its an autoimmune disease you wolly)"

Lol Jokes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 i hope you stay too. You make many interesting and useful points.

However, I too have been confused by your title and signature in the past. You certainly had rising numbers that may have continued to rise if you had not taken action. Should that rise have continued you then would probably have been diagnosed pre type 2 or maybe LADA I guess. But it didn’t happen yet. You avoided it, so far at least. Well done if it is indeed your efforts to reduce carbs that has achieved this rather than the fact they would never have got up there anyway. Unless you eat “normally” again we’ll never know. I assume you don’t want to experiment on yourself in this way.

You obviously have your personal opinion that your other conditions are attributable to diabetes of some form. You may be right but it’s not been shown medically yet. I know in another thread I pointed out there are indeed other potential causes for your symptoms so it’s not certain to be that though. Again I guess many of us blame certain symptoms on certain conditions without it being medically confirmed though. I’d just keep an open mind.

I guess it’s all about self definition and self identification but there is an argument that it can be misleading or confusing to use a label in a way not typically used. Perhaps your signature could highlight rising numbers caused you to take preventative action to maintain them below diagnosable levels or something that expresses your feelings without attributing it to a specific diagnosis not yet received.

Geoffno6

@Bluetit1802 in order to keep my A1c down to 38 I have to eat less than 20g carbs daily. I am living with numerous health problems that I identify as diabetic complications (no other cause has ever been suggested, up to now they have all been seen as separate random idiopathic conditions). I am thin as a rake. I test my bg 10 or more times a day. To say, "I do not have diabetes" although strictly true would not give a true idea of my situation. If I could say I was "pre-pre-diabetic" that would probably be best, but there are only a few options available and that is not one of them.

If my memory serves, your doctor now considers you to be non-diabetic, but your description says T2, which is strictly speaking not correct?

When I found out about my A1c of 41 I could have gone on, with the NHS dietician's blessing, eating the ultra healthy Mediterranean diet I had eaten for years, and by the next test I would have been at 42 or higher and so in the Pre-diabetes category. As it is, I heeded the warning and, like you, did what I could to reverse that. That doesn't make me non-diabetic or normal in my relationship with carbs.

Hi @Alexandra100 don’t go, you provide a lot of helpful posts for many people based on a good general knowledge of diabetes and factors related to it. But, there’s a but, if you’re as thin as a rake and probably way below average weight, is that any better than having BGs a tad above average. Might it be a good idea to have some carbs, maybe solve your low weight problem and (apologies if it sounds flippant) increase your Hba1c to a level where you ‘qualify’ as pre diabetic
This is written by somebody who is also skinny and who hates to sound ‘oh whatever you’ve got, I’ve got it worse’ but....the attached graph for today is an example, with a slightly desperate diet of cream, eggs, prawns, coffee, cheese and chicken and therefore barely a carb in sight and an average mmo of 8.5. and an Hba1c of 67
I’m LCHF because I can’t see an alternative, but if I had, like you, normalish BG levels I’d definitely try and get some weight back by eating normalish and having say 50 - 100g of good healthy carbs a day.
IMG_8285.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8285.jpg
    IMG_8285.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: Prem51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
@Bluetit1802 in order to keep my A1c down to 38 I have to eat less than 20g carbs daily. I am living with numerous health problems that I identify as diabetic complications (no other cause has ever been suggested, up to now they have all been seen as separate random idiopathic conditions). I am thin as a rake. I test my bg 10 or more times a day. To say, "I do not have diabetes" although strictly true would not give a true idea of my situation. If I could say I was "pre-pre-diabetic" that would probably be best, but there are only a few options available and that is not one of them.

If my memory serves, your doctor now considers you to be non-diabetic, but your description says T2, which is strictly speaking not correct?

When I found out about my A1c of 41 I could have gone on, with the NHS dietician's blessing, eating the ultra healthy Mediterranean diet I had eaten for years, and by the next test I would have been at 42 or higher and so in the Pre-diabetes category. As it is, I heeded the warning and, like you, did what I could to reverse that. That doesn't make me non-diabetic or normal in my relationship with carbs.
Would it not just make you in remission due to your strict diet? I don't think Diabetes every goes away, but due to eating low carb food is keeping it at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.