Leaving the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am leaving the Forum. The Mods insist I change my title to "I do not Have Diabetes" and conceal my belief that I may be heading in the direction of LADA. I am not willing to do that. I shall miss you all very much and I wish you all a happy and super-healthy future.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am leaving the Forum. The Mods insist I change my title to "I do not Have Diabetes" and conceal my belief that I may be heading in the direction of LADA. I am not willing to do that. I shall miss you all very much and I wish you all a happy and super-healthy future.

Is this only due to 1 person asking if you have diabetes in the thread named "
Delaying the Progression of Type 1 Diabetes "? Or have you actually been told to change your profile?

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this only due to 1 person asking if you have diabetes in the thread named "
Delaying the Progression of Type 1 Diabetes "? Or have you actually been told to change your profile?
I was told to change my profile.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to change my profile.

This is only a stab in the dark so I apologies if I offend you? But prediabetes is classed as having a HBA1C between 42-48mmol/L right? Isn't yours less than this number ?

I notice you did have an HBA1C of 42 at one point but is now 38 right? Which in america you say is classed as diabetic, but in the UK it isn't right?

I have researched that in America a HBA1C of 39 or higher is prediabetic

Maybe you could just change it for now and still have an input in the forum?

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is only a stab in the dark so I apologies if I offend you? But prediabetes is classed as having a HBA1C between 42-48mmol/L right? Isn't yours less than this number ?

I notice you did have an HBA1C of 42 at one point but is now 38 right? Which in america you say is classed as diabetic, but in the UK it isn't right?

48 and above is diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
40 and under is non diabetic.

WHO guidance, and used in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't go.
I think mine might be wrong too. I started off T2 but after taking statins and eating masses of veg I think I'm now half horse half sheep. If I get mange I'll report back.

Reactions: Prem51 and SueJB

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think some type 1s get offended when non-type 1s post type 1 topic under type 1 section. I'm sorry to see you leave. I appreciated type 1 on low carb diet info from you.

Not me personally, I enjoy reading @Alexandra100 posts. I am just wondering if it is worth just changing the profile as requested and can still post valuable information to the forum and get involved, won't stop her from doing it.

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Okay, but just to chime in here. You think you are pre-LADA, yet you have an HbA1C of 38 and the highest it has been is 42.

You want to use a term that means "pre-Type2" but are insistent that you are pre-type 1.

Unless you've had the various antibody tests that identify that you may go on to develop a form of T1 (which I don't believe that you've mentioned, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the most likely scenario is that your 42 reading was a pre-T2 result.

You've presented no other evidence that backs up your claims, so I understand the moderators position. Of course, it's entirely within your own hands to change it, but they do have a point. One's own opinion of a diagnosis with no diagnostic evidence is not great form for a support forum.

Reactions: Geoffno6

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, but just to chime in here. You think you are pre-LADA, yet you have an HbA1C of 38 and the highest it has been is 42.

Just being pedantic but her signature indicates her highest HbA1c was 41, and I believe she has quoted this on other threads. That puts her in the normal range, just. I'm sure she will correct me if I am wrong. I do appreciate there is no significant difference between 41 and 42 due to lab errors and rounding.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You want to use a term that means "pre-Type2" but are insistent that you are pre-type 1.

Unless you've had the various antibody tests that identify that you may go on to develop a form of T1 (which I don't believe that you've mentioned, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the most likely scenario is that your 42 reading was a pre-T2 result.

You've presented no other evidence that backs up your claims, so I understand the moderators position. Of course, it's entirely within your own hands to change it, but they do have a point. One's own opinion of a diagnosis with no diagnostic evidence is not great form for a support forum.
The only problem with all of this of course is that this is an internet forum.. we only have each others words to go on.
Alexandra could be a 6 foot 5 inch 30 stone bloke with Type 2 and an HbA1c of 120... but we don't know that.
Nor do we know whether others are correct in their diagnosis or that their doctors are correct either.
I could be Dr Jason Fung standing next to a chubby guy in a grey polo shirt... who knows?

Reactions: Geoffno6

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Alexandra100 Just a thought but there is the options of other or rather not say in the profile choices and after all this forum I thought was open to all diabetic or non diabetic your perception of your own status is entirely your own affair and cannot be dictated to you. Please don't go..

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
48 and above is diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
40 and under is non diabetic.

WHO guidance, and used in the UK.
@Bluetit1802 in order to keep my A1c down to 38 I have to eat less than 20g carbs daily. I am living with numerous health problems that I identify as diabetic complications (no other cause has ever been suggested, up to now they have all been seen as separate random idiopathic conditions). I am thin as a rake. I test my bg 10 or more times a day. To say, "I do not have diabetes" although strictly true would not give a true idea of my situation. If I could say I was "pre-pre-diabetic" that would probably be best, but there are only a few options available and that is not one of them.

If my memory serves, your doctor now considers you to be non-diabetic, but your description says T2, which is strictly speaking not correct?

When I found out about my A1c of 41 I could have gone on, with the NHS dietician's blessing, eating the ultra healthy Mediterranean diet I had eaten for years, and by the next test I would have been at 42 or higher and so in the Pre-diabetes category. As it is, I heeded the warning and, like you, did what I could to reverse that. That doesn't make me non-diabetic or normal in my relationship with carbs.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've presented no other evidence that backs up your claims
Jenny Ruhl says that skinny people with raised bg may be either T2s who produce very little insulin or LADA, who of course also produce very little insulin and may progress to producing none. It seems to me that I may fit into either of these categories. I am therefore interested in research and posts on some aspects of T1 as well as T2. I follow Dr B's idea that what really matters is the level of bg, and we should ideally use whatever means we can to attain and maintain those "normal" bg levels.

As I recounted on the Forum, I recently asked my GP for a C-peptide test. She refused, and the private labs offering this test that Forum members told me about turned out to be too expensive for me to contemplate. I might at some point ask for a GAD test, as that is much cheaper, so there may be fewer rules stopping GPs from prescribing it.

I don't "claim" to be anything. I would actually prefer to be pre-pre-T2 rather than pre-LADA, as my prospects would be better for continuing the small amount of insulin production I seem to have left. I actually find the word "claim" a bit odd here, as if I were claiming to be a long lost Princess and stood to gain an inheritance.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If my memory serves, your doctor now considers you to be non-diabetic, but your description says T2, which is strictly speaking not correct?

OK, fair point. I have changed it. (it has been in my signature for some time)

May I ask what your typical range of BGs are? ie a weekly/monthly average, or a typical range from say 4 to 7?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not me personally, I enjoy reading @Alexandra100 posts. I am just wondering if it is worth just changing the profile as requested and can still post valuable information to the forum and get involved, won't stop her from doing it.
Thanks @Dixon1995 and thanks @michita. Dixon, I am glad you quoted Michita's post, as it seems to have been deleted. Michita, if you said more than Dixon quoted, you could PM me?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 Just a thought but there is the options of other or rather not say in the profile choices and after all this forum I thought was open to all diabetic or non diabetic your perception of your own status is entirely your own affair and cannot be dictated to you. Please don't go..
@JohnEGreen Thanks, I did start off with the title "Other" and I wondered about reverting to it. but people found it confusing and I had to keep explaining, which gets to be really hard work.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask what your typical range of BGs are? ie a weekly/monthly average, or a typical range from say 4 to 7?
I'm not currently using a Libre, though I hope to have a go with one soon, so I don't even try to keep averages. It is hard to catch the high points after meals, due to my gastroparesis, which means the rise is irregular and may not happen for 3 or 4 hours after eating. By eating <20g carbs daily I aim to keep after meal numbers to <6. They can occasionally be 6 or higher but often 5.6. Once up, my bg tends to stay up, which motivates me to limit the rise as much as possible. Most days my fasting bg is in the low 5s but not often 5.0 or under. Most days I will see 4.8 or 4.9 at some point, often AFTER a meal because as the food has not left my stomach I am effectively fasting for a few more hours.

Reactions: ziggy_w
Status
Not open for further replies.