Type 1 Leeannea

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
CGM and freestyle libre
Hi. A few times I've read here about the libre detecting lows when you are asleep Can it do. this or do you have to wake up and test with it ?
Cheers
Leeanne

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
CGM and freestyle libre
Hi. A few times I've read here about the libre detecting lows when you are asleep Can it do. this or do you have to wake up and test with it ?
Cheers
Leeanne

Hi Leeanne - you have to wake up to scan the libre reader, however if you don't wake but check the reader in the morning after scanning the sensor it will show if you went low during the night - is this something you are concerned about ?

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
This is exactly what I'm worried about. How do you find this on the reader? Thanks for your help

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since regular meters like the Freestyle have alarms built in, it occurs to me that the Libre ought be able to alam at a hypo the way a Freestyle does when it is time to take your readings? It seems a simple algorithm to program the device to set off below a reading numer and above another?

It's flash GM not CGM so the low would only be visible when scanned as Juicy says.

Reactions: Contralto

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that the libre would have to keep to a lot more regulations, as if it failed to set off the alarm it could be very bad, but if it just failed to work when someone scanned it, the person can use their backup meter.

(A alarm system failing 1 time in 100 would result in the company getting very big legal bills even if it saved lifes the other 99 times.)