Type 2 Left leg cramps

magern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering if anyone with T2 has issues with leg cramps. I’m 38 with T2 and my last hba1c was 51. the last couple of weeks i generally get a couple of hours at least of what feels like cramp/restlessness in my left leg. Not painful as such but enough that i can feel the difference between my left leg and right leg. I seem to still have decent feeling in my left foot but just wondering if anyone else has had same issue?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I frequently get leg cramps in my left leg. I have a varicose vein in it, so dont know if that is a factor. I am low carbing, so have to remember to add a bit of salt to my diet, which helps.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
social media but trying
I'm type 1 but had a similar issue a few years ago. Mine turned out to be vascular disease and ended up with a procedure to clear the artery of blood clots in the leg. Nearly lost the leg. See your doctor earlier rather than later. I went to A and E as my big toe went black! Left it too long before getting it sorted

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it worse when you're walking/exercising and subsides when you're resting? If so, it might be worth getting checked for Peripheral Artery Disease. I have it and it started with a cramp in my right calf when walking uphill.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I have a problem with muscle cramps. Some say take potassium. Other say magnesium. I think magnesium is the answer, but I take both. I find when I take too much magnesium my legs don’t fire that well on my bike. So I have to take enough to not let my feet cramp, but not too much so my legs can work.

In the cycling world, drinking pickle juice is the new fix for muscle cramping during a ride.

Reactions: LaoDan and Ledzeptt

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I had pain near my quadriceps, it felt more like inflammation, pain from swelling, but it went away when I got my BG under control.