Lesson learned...

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Let the wife convince me that one night would be ok to let things slide as its No2's birthday do at a pizza place. Call it a treat as I had got down to 31 on the 1c.

So I relented, checked the numbers and a slice of one of their pizzas worked out at 28g. Ok around half a thin crust meat number 'should' be under 100carbs and should be fine. Bg (sneaky at the table) was 5.1

Well an hour later I was 8.5, 2 hrs I was 8, I was still 7.5 2 hours after that when I went to bed. Had an awful nights sleep, was up for a pee and today I have felt wiped.

Either my numbers for the carbs were wildly out (could have been) or, Being used to 20-30 g carbs/day (a lot of that coming from veg) as a rule and bg's running at a normal high of 6.5 even with meals meant my body had a bit of a fit at the excess sugar, I was still 6.9 this morning. That is not a normal fbg number for me.

Fingers well and truly burned. :hungover::hungover::hungover::hungover:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
!00 gm of carbs would be about 3 day's worth for me - and all at once, I would suspect that I would have the same sort of reaction.
If you want to have pizza, fat head pizza is supposed to be good, and even preferred by many people - though you have to make it yourself.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Wasn't really wanting, was No2's birthday thing. Went to the trampoline park, she had a mate with her. Good evening all round really. I just figured 100 or so carbs would be an ok number. Especially when you think people consider 100 quite low carb.

Will have a look at the fat head stuff, the kids are big on pizza and miss it a lot, to be fair they have really got on board with my low carbing everybody. So I do have to give some back.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Spl@ - I've never been a big pizza fan, so it would never be my choice forr eats, even when I could eat gluten, but, when I did try it after diagnosis, my numbers didn't go stratospheric, but they did elevate morer than usual, but mor eimportantly, took much longer to return to my then range. The fat and flour combo can be a doozie.

We live and we learn.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The thing with pizza is, because of the fat/carb mix, that the peak was probably after 2hrs so you missed it.
Understand the desire to fit in with family celebration though and you can get straight back to your normal eating now.

Reactions: Prem51 and briped

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let the wife convince me that one night would be ok to let things slide as its No2's birthday do at a pizza place. Call it a treat as I had got down to 31 on the 1c.

So I relented, checked the numbers and a slice of one of their pizzas worked out at 28g. Ok around half a thin crust meat number 'should' be under 100carbs and should be fine. Bg (sneaky at the table) was 5.1

Well an hour later I was 8.5, 2 hrs I was 8, I was still 7.5 2 hours after that when I went to bed. Had an awful nights sleep, was up for a pee and today I have felt wiped.

Either my numbers for the carbs were wildly out (could have been) or, Being used to 20-30 g carbs/day (a lot of that coming from veg) as a rule and bg's running at a normal high of 6.5 even with meals meant my body had a bit of a fit at the excess sugar, I was still 6.9 this morning. That is not a normal fbg number for me.

Fingers well and truly burned. :hungover::hungover::hungover::hungover:
Those numbers seem fine to me and seems like your body tolerated the pizza well ,once in a while is okay but that's just my view .

Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well, i'd say those figs would bother me as well @Spl@

and as i see it, i think you assumption is spot.
If you ate more carbs regularly, then you may not of had such a reaction, but it was a lot of carbs given your low levels usually...i think over 4 hours sat over the mmol marker..:wideyed::bigtears:

i can only liken it,( as i eat a modest amount of carbs), to when i first got diagnosed,
the weeks before i was many things and on a scale of 1-10 i'd say now i was a sickly 7..
but once diagnosed and on the forum, i came off the sugar completely dropped the high carb levels i thought was good for me, ( thanks docs..lol)
and suffered what i can only consider as cold turkey from the withdrawal symptoms, and hit a 9 on the "not going to die but *** is going on :***:" sickly meter in my head.
So again a case of too much, too soon, i think.

I thinks it 's a lesson learned, sadly.

But i LOVE the attitude of giving back to the family for all the support...:D
I guess ya just got to be sage like and let the kids/others enjoy the moment at the chocolate fountains/desert tray
(it's what i now do) while you sip your water/coffee or such like...LoL

Good luck.

Last edited: