Let me Introduce Myself Again

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been a member of this Forum for quite a few years but stopped posting a few years back when the forum became , how can I say.....not a nice place to be. I have kept looking and it seems to be a friendly place again so I'll give it another go.
I'm female, 63 and have been diabetic Type II for almost 9 years. I treat by diet and Meds (2 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x Sitagliptin). I was on 4 x Metformin daily but managed to get it halved to 2 with tight diet control.
The past 1.5 years I have probably experienced more stress than in my entire life. Both sisters in law has falls that resulted in numerous breaks. One sister in law has since had surgery recently. My son had flu then pneumonia and ended up in ICU for 2 weeks - 10 days of which were in a coma. My mother in law had colon cancer which spread to the liver, breast and lungs which killed her. My son and his family plus a large dog and 3 cats ended up staying with us for 5 months between houses. My brother's cancer returned so back to chemo and then my sister was just diagnosed with colon cancer. There is more but less important things!
I was constantly Ill as I was exhausted but still managed to keep my diet going more or less although I was skipping meals a lot as I just didn't have time. I still did some exercise but not as much as previously.
Recently I started to feel really ill. I should have suspected my BS was up as I had an attack of thrush I could not shift. To my horror my BS was 19.1 (still prefer 'old money ' measure). That was enough to get me back to strict low carbs and back to classes at the gym (I should mention I am disabled but still manage some types of exercise).
That was last Thursday and I'm down to 10.1 and it is just small increase when I eat. I am reasonably happy with the drop so far and fully expect further drops over the next week or so. I am averaging about 35g of carbs daily but can't seem to get it lower. I'm back on regular meals and I have always drunk loads of water. I don't smoke and I have a very occasional drink. I am thankfully starting to feel better.
I have no idea why my BS suddenly went so high. Is it possible that so much stress built up and suddenly caused a spike? While all this was going on it was slightly elevated but that was down illness and stress. I don't want to go to the doctor yet until I give it a good shot at getting it back under control myself.
I can't think of anything else I can do but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
P.S. The various family members are doing fine on their treatments.

Reactions: callyandy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow with so much going on it wasn't surprising that you became ill - skipping meals always tends to have repercussions, running on empty puts a strain on the body which makes staving off infection more difficult.
I am new here - newly diagnosed, but a decades long low carber. Well done on getting the BG down so much, and back to eating regularly.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome back. Stress and illness can have a big effect so let's hope the BS comes back under control. Also bear in mind that there is always a background possibility of being T1 rather than T2 with an intervening honeymoon period like I had. So, if the BS keeps high despite low carbs and assuming you are not particularly overweight then discuss this possibility with the GP and come back to the forum.

Reactions: KezG and callyandy

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been a member of this Forum for quite a few years but stopped posting a few years back when the forum became , how can I say.....not a nice place to be. I have kept looking and it seems to be a friendly place again so I'll give it another go.
I'm female, 63 and have been diabetic Type II for almost 9 years. I treat by diet and Meds (2 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x Sitagliptin). I was on 4 x Metformin daily but managed to get it halved to 2 with tight diet control.
The past 1.5 years I have probably experienced more stress than in my entire life. Both sisters in law has falls that resulted in numerous breaks. One sister in law has since had surgery recently. My son had flu then pneumonia and ended up in ICU for 2 weeks - 10 days of which were in a coma. My mother in law had colon cancer which spread to the liver, breast and lungs which killed her. My son and his family plus a large dog and 3 cats ended up staying with us for 5 months between houses. My brother's cancer returned so back to chemo and then my sister was just diagnosed with colon cancer. There is more but less important things!
I was constantly Ill as I was exhausted but still managed to keep my diet going more or less although I was skipping meals a lot as I just didn't have time. I still did some exercise but not as much as previously.
Recently I started to feel really ill. I should have suspected my BS was up as I had an attack of thrush I could not shift. To my horror my BS was 19.1 (still prefer 'old money ' measure). That was enough to get me back to strict low carbs and back to classes at the gym (I should mention I am disabled but still manage some types of exercise).
That was last Thursday and I'm down to 10.1 and it is just small increase when I eat. I am reasonably happy with the drop so far and fully expect further drops over the next week or so. I am averaging about 35g of carbs daily but can't seem to get it lower. I'm back on regular meals and I have always drunk loads of water. I don't smoke and I have a very occasional drink. I am thankfully starting to feel better.
I have no idea why my BS suddenly went so high. Is it possible that so much stress built up and suddenly caused a spike? While all this was going on it was slightly elevated but that was down illness and stress. I don't want to go to the doctor yet until I give it a good shot at getting it back under control myself.
I can't think of anything else I can do but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Goodness, what a story. Best wishes to you and all of yours.

You sound like an incredibly strong individual, this will help when you now turn some of this attention you've been lavishing on your family back to yourself. I'm very new to this diabetes business, so I wouldn't presume to offer advice, but I will say I've found the people on these forums so supportive and helpful, they've made a real difference.

Keeps going. You'll get there.:D

Reactions: Jogreen21 and KezG

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Only been a member for a short time but on my xpert course I was told that stress could put bags up. My brother died and the next day is was 13. Not been that high since I have been testing. Welcome back and well done on being so positive

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow with so much going on it wasn't surprising that you became ill - skipping meals always tends to have repercussions, running on empty puts a strain on the body which makes staving off infection more difficult.
I am new here - newly diagnosed, but a decades long low carber. Well done on getting the BG down so much, and back to eating regularly.
Glad t of say It's dropping again. Now at 9.8. Glad to be back in single figures

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Hi! I've only been around here a few months too, but lovely to meet you.

May your BG continue to fall - sounds like you've had a helluva lot on your plate recently.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

That's a great load of stress Magli. I noticed that my bg's also go high under stress. Excuse me for the erratic advice but there must be some anti-anxiety medications. Cheers

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm back in control thankfully. To look at me you wouldn't think I was stressed and to be honest I was more upset at the 19 plus reading. For the rest I have to keep control for the sake of everyone else. I am back to a 9.8 reading after only 5 days of strict low carbing and exercise so feel a heck of a lot better to be back in single figures (just)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

what inhumanely much grief and illness you have had to cope with.... welcome here, I´m rather new so don´t remember you... but just want to wish you that from now on you´ll get better and have much less worry I hope , a virtual hug from me...