Let's make our voices heard!!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi everyone

I was thinking over the weekend as some know I've had a rough weekend full of judgement. That got me thinking often people judge due to a lack of knowledge. I was thinking from what I've read you all have wonderful stories and I wondered if people want to share of course if it would be an idea to gather all peoples stories together split into becoming diabetic type one parents experience etc and make a book is be happy to manage this and all money either goes to this site if that's possible or diabetic research what do you think?

I guess for me I think telling stories help with knowledge and having it a book we could go I'm on page 7 lol thoughts?

Reactions: 6 people

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
hi everyone

I was thinking over the weekend as some know I've had a rough weekend full of judgement. That got me thinking often people judge due to a lack of knowledge. I was thinking from what I've read you all have wonderful stories and I wondered if people want to share of course if it would be an idea to gather all peoples stories together split into becoming diabetic type one parents experience etc and make a book is be happy to manage this and all money either goes to this site if that's possible or diabetic research what do you think?

I guess for me I think telling stories help with knowledge and having it a book we could go I'm on page 7 lol thoughts?
What a fab idea faye & it will go back to helping others with problems we all struggle with. I would be happy to write some experiences as long as no personal details were printed in the book. You are an inspiration Faye, you have had a **** weekend but its Tuesday & you are already turning sour lemons into lemonade. Go Girl!!! x

Reactions: 4 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I've just proof read a book written by a friend on something called Lulu. You can upload stuff and get it printed as a book in different formats and even as an eBook (Kindle for example).

It's a good idea but please be aware of the amount of work required in achieving this, not impossible, just a lot of work. Over the years I've certainly heard some stories, on this forum as well as others, about people's behaviour, that I have found unbelievable. I've been very lucky in the reaction of my friends, work mates and family.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes all would be anonymous or a name of choice which could be crazy names welcome

I think I'd do this very slowly but any tips of proof readers welcome or anyone wants to join creating it please say.

Aww thank you Linny for your kind words if it helps one person or one other to understand job well done

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was such a book written by others and celebrities too that was made available via the other (DUK) site. It was sponsored by Tesco, and was simply people sharing their experiences. The book was free to anyone applying for it through their website. From what I remember it was well put together and represented recent thoughts on diet. There was no sign of sponsor bias, and it covered many different aspects of diabetic life.

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Oh yes all would be anonymous or a name of choice which could be crazy names welcome

I think I'd do this very slowly but any tips of proof readers welcome or anyone wants to join creating it please say.

Aww thank you Linny for your kind words if it helps one person or one other to understand job well done
Will start thinking & writing a few bits over this next week. Great idea & I think many will be willing to support ,just make sure you don't feel any pressure to do it & if it starts to become too much then you need to say, nobody would judge you if it becomes too much:). (but you are such a fighter you will probably get there):writer: x How are you feeling today?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi everyone

A great idea Fayefaye and I would like the money to go into research for Type 1 :)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will start thinking & writing a few bits over this next week. Great idea & I think many will be willing to support ,just make sure you don't feel any pressure to do it & if it starts to become too much then you need to say, nobody would judge you if it becomes too much:). (but you are such a fighter you will probably get there):writer: x How are you feeling today?
aw thank Libby I will take your permission to say if it's too much. Anyone have any ideas of how it can be published and put up? I think Amazon do an online thing but I'm not entirely sure anyone knows feedback would be awesome?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A great idea Fayefaye and I would like the money to go into research for Type 1 :)

Aw I'm glad you like robin all ideas and thought welcome. My initial sketch in my head is

Doing a welcome page
A little on diabetes
Diagnosis
Type 1@2 stories
Pregnancy
Parents experience
Young adults
Parents experience
Life with diabetes
And aT the end a collection of helpful resources

These are not fixed in stone anything suggestions please say I'm open to anything

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Aw I'm glad you like robin all ideas and thought welcome. My initial sketch in my head is

Doing a welcome page
A little on diabetes
Diagnosis
Type 1@2 stories
Pregnancy
Parents experience
Young adults
Parents experience
Life with diabetes
And aT the end a collection of helpful resources

These are not fixed in stone anything suggestions please say I'm open to anything

A well put together list :) I particularly like 'Life with diabetes' and how it affects us and our stress levels, as I have gone through quite a few horrible times, physical and emotional things over the past 3 years and how is has affected me ( I'm sure others have been through similar) it's a thumbs up from me :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife publishes e magazines via issuu and if its needed to be in print then its blurb .. If you need any help .. I will call the wife ...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Anyone have any ideas of how it can be published and put up?

http://www.lulu.com/create?cid=uk_b...Y5c8S2G7lL-Sqx1Bwd92JsQ6-Qap0F9Su0aAlVr8P8HAQ

I can only comment about Lulu.com, it's relatively easy to use and a 100 page book would cost about 6 or 7 quid a copy, the price increasing depending on what you want. You can even just have one copy printed off if you want, it allows different formats (paperback, hardback etc) and the only thing we struggled with was the table of contents, but that's because I'm not a fully trained user of Word.
You upload your documents and that's the other thing we weren't keen on, it spaces things to fit on a page and ends up putting spaces in front of commas, and multiple spaces between words, not the end of the world but annoying. If you're au fait with Word for Windows or similar, maybe a bit of DTP, it would be a doddle.
You can even apply discounts to allow friends or everyone to get a cheaper copy.
I've only "played" with it and it's not that bad. My friend, the author, Bagels and Bacon, Reluctant Traveller and now Down under Diary has even managed to get forwards written by Fern Britton (lives in our village/town) and Helen Shapiro (grew up in the East end with my friend), which, if you want the book sold to more than just friends is quite useful.
What has stuck in my mind is the sort of things that even family can say, showing unbelievable grasp of what diabetes really is. I'm not sure what's behind it because with the exception of one friend who assured me that living with diabetes is easy, he knows a little girl of 6 who "just" injects a few times a day and it's no problem, everyone else is very considerate, especially when we eat together.
If I was to be asked who would read it, I'm sure other diabetics, especially newly diagnosed, because the ignorance shown by some can be very hurtful and knowing that others get the same sort of stupidity shown to them might help.
It would be more difficult to market to non diabetics because they wouldn't really be interested, it would need some sort of hook. Although if 50 Shades can make money ? ? ? ? Obviously people have never read Marquis de Sade.
I'm willing to help out, I'm quite interested. See what you want to do.

Reactions: 4 people

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I know nothing about publishing, but am excited by how the idea is developing. Its fab that there are some members who have knowledge that will push this project forward.Will do anything I can to help, will get some stuff written for sure & please let me know what else you would like me to do:)x

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
http://www.lulu.com/create?cid=uk_b...Y5c8S2G7lL-Sqx1Bwd92JsQ6-Qap0F9Su0aAlVr8P8HAQ

I can only comment about Lulu.com, it's relatively easy to use and a 100 page book would cost about 6 or 7 quid a copy, the price increasing depending on what you want. You can even just have one copy printed off if you want, it allows different formats (paperback, hardback etc) and the only thing we struggled with was the table of contents, but that's because I'm not a fully trained user of Word.
You upload your documents and that's the other thing we weren't keen on, it spaces things to fit on a page and ends up putting spaces in front of commas, and multiple spaces between words, not the end of the world but annoying. If you're au fait with Word for Windows or similar, maybe a bit of DTP, it would be a doddle.
You can even apply discounts to allow friends or everyone to get a cheaper copy.
I've only "played" with it and it's not that bad. My friend, the author, Bagels and Bacon, Reluctant Traveller and now Down under Diary has even managed to get forwards written by Fern Britton (lives in our village/town) and Helen Shapiro (grew up in the East end with my friend), which, if you want the book sold to more than just friends is quite useful.
What has stuck in my mind is the sort of things that even family can say, showing unbelievable grasp of what diabetes really is. I'm not sure what's behind it because with the exception of one friend who assured me that living with diabetes is easy, he knows a little girl of 6 who "just" injects a few times a day and it's no problem, everyone else is very considerate, especially when we eat together.
If I was to be asked who would read it, I'm sure other diabetics, especially newly diagnosed, because the ignorance shown by some can be very hurtful and knowing that others get the same sort of stupidity shown to them might help.
It would be more difficult to market to non diabetics because they wouldn't really be interested, it would need some sort of hook. Although if 50 Shades can make money ? ? ? ? Obviously people have never read Marquis de Sade.
I'm willing to help out, I'm quite interested. See what you want to do.
Hi you make some really good points. Any thoughts on a hook to everyone?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know nothing about publishing, but am excited by how the idea is developing. Its fab that there are some members who have knowledge that will push this project forward.Will do anything I can to help, will get some stuff written for sure & please let me know what else you would like me to do:)x
Loving your enthusiasm and all inputs fabulous!!!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Any thoughts on a hook to everyone?

I suppose the title has to be the starting point. Thinking aloud here, how about "So you think you know about Diabetes" or "The Truth about Diabetes"., "Diabetic Delusions" (thanks to Gary Taubes), must be some cleverer ideas out there.

It would be an idea to state exactly what sort of material was required, I think having clear objectives and sticking to that will be important. Maybe start another thread to continue discussion or stay on this one. There's lots of thoughts rattling around in my head. Things like differentiating opinion from fact, trying to make it light hearted, even funny (could be another hook).

It could be that all the stories have already been told on this forum and although some contain, you'll have to forgive me for this, a fair amount of justifiable whinging, I don't think non diabetics will be "entertained" by reading whinges, no matter how justified.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm thinking the start point is saying what is the message that we want to get across? I'm thinking it's the misconceptions of non diabetics (and some diabetics) about diabetes. I'm also thinking that with so much for a newly diagnosed diabetic to grasp, is there a way of conveying some of that, baring in mind it has to be totally accurate and verified by qualified people. Lots to think about.

Reactions: 2 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a wonderful idea! My own story would just be plain boring but I would love to help in any way I can. For a title how about The Story Of D (not black and white, more 50 shades of grey)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What a wonderful idea! My own story would just be plain boring but I would love to help in any way I can. For a title how about The Story Of D (not black and white, more 50 shades of grey)
Aw thank you I. Sure your story would be very good to read

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose the title has to be the starting point. Thinking aloud here, how about "So you think you know about Diabetes" or "The Truth about Diabetes"., "Diabetic Delusions" (thanks to Gary Taubes), must be some cleverer ideas out there.

It would be an idea to state exactly what sort of material was required, I think having clear objectives and sticking to that will be important. Maybe start another thread to continue discussion or stay on this one. There's lots of thoughts rattling around in my head. Things like differentiating opinion from fact, trying to make it light hearted, even funny (could be another hook).

It could be that all the stories have already been told on this forum and although some contain, you'll have to forgive me for this, a fair amount of justifiable whinging, I don't think non diabetics will be "entertained" by reading whinges, no matter how justified.

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm thinking the start point is saying what is the message that we want to get across? I'm thinking it's the misconceptions of non diabetics (and some diabetics) about diabetes. I'm also thinking that with so much for a newly diagnosed diabetic to grasp, is there a way of conveying some of that, baring in mind it has to be totally accurate and verified by qualified people. Lots to think about.

Yes I think what you have said make sense and awesome ideas. I think I'm reading you saying myths and facts of diabeteS? Ages ago I did a presentation. Package of the psychological affects of diabetes and have a lot of myths we could use. I feel newly diagnosed is a must and maybe up and coming technology giving hope to the pages?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think your idea is amazing Faye, some people may be too shy to ask questions therefore, if they can read about it and can see their not the only one experiencing a problem etc, it may boost their confidence to actually make comments them selves.