Level of hpa1c for medication

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I was wondering what levels your hpa1c were before some form of medication was given? Like Metformin?
I was diagnosed last year with hpa1c at 51 going down to 49, 2 weeks later after a retest.
After 3 months going hard at it dieting (LCHF) and exercising (treadmill) I lost a stone and at my next test was down to 42, normal levels.

I then gave up smoking, gained most of the stone back and the next test I was back up to 49. My last test, 2 days ago I was 51 (I know I’ve not been good the last 3 months and been on holiday).

I find it hard exercising and working 50 plus hours a week in a Job where I sit all day.

I’d rather not take pills and am getting back on track again but what level were you all when you were given medication? I am panicking myself worried I am failing to control it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done on giving up the fags. It is not uncommon to gain weight when giving up nicotine, in the long run you have made strides in benefiting your health. Now is the time to get back to lowering your HbA1c and stabilising your bg. Remember that Metformin is not prescribed specifically to lower bg but to guard against organ damage, help with liver dumps and as a mild apetite suppressant. It has only minimal effects on bg.

So, my HbA1c was 98 on diagnosis, with LCHF that came down to 73 within one month. Four months on from diagnosis it was down to 43. Now, I am a wheelchair user and have other health problems meaning that excercise is pretty much out of the question. So my small weight loss and my lowered HbA1c is totally down to diet. In my opinion, excercise will help lower A1c faster but you do not need to go at it full pelt. Take part in excercise that you enjoy, be that walking, swimming or team sports etc. Resistive excercise is said to be best.

At diagnosis I was prescribed four Metformin per day, that dose was lowered to three per day when my A1c reached 43.

My advice is get back on that wagon so that when you reach your desired numbers you will be able to say 'Hey! I got healthier Twice'. As a smoker myself I eny you, I really do so don't beat yourself up.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Guzzler, interesting to know you got your a1c down by diet alone, makes me feel slightly better. I notice a lot of people’s diagnosis were 80/90 plus on diagnosis where as I’ve never really gone over 51, do you think that’s why I’ve not been put on medication yet? I was having regular blood tests for another issue so knew I was slipping into diabetes over the years, before any symptoms arose.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks for that Guzzler, interesting to know you got your a1c down by diet alone, makes me feel slightly better. I notice a lot of people’s diagnosis were 80/90 plus on diagnosis where as I’ve never really gone over 51, do you think that’s why I’ve not been put on medication yet? I was having regular blood tests for another issue so knew I was slipping into diabetes over the years, before any symptoms arose.

It is quite possible that is the reason you were not prescribed drugs. You are lucky (comparatively) that you have discovered your risks early but to keep those risks to a minimum you have to address your approach to diet and excercise. Do not become complacent, you have been given a heads up so take advantage of it.

Reactions: Mike d

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c was 53 on diagnosis. Medication was never mentioned, and hasn't been since. I manage on diet only with dog walking. My HbA1cs have ranged from 46 to 41 since diagnosis. I think it will depend on your own GP whether he suggests Metformin if he thinks you are creeping progressively upwards. It is, of course, entirely up to you whether you take him up on his suggestion. He can't force feed you with pills, he can only advise.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering what levels your hpa1c were before some form of medication was given?

I am in the USA. At diagnosis, my doctor said he would put me on meds if I was unable to get my HbA1C consistently down to 7% (53) or lower with diet and exercise alone. He gave me two months to demonstrate progress toward that goal, and fortunately the diet/exercise option was successful. (Detailed stats are in the signature below.)

This shows how different the advice from different doctors can be! You were 6.8% (51) at diagnosis, which means that you have T2 diabetes (6.5 percent or above) but even so, your HbA1C is already inside the envelope where my doctor says, "no meds needed" and diet/exercise should be sufficient.

As you will see from reading this forum, doctors seem to vary widely in terms of where they "draw the line" where meds become necessary. I feel fortunate that my doc was willing to give me a serious chance to try the diet/exercise/no-meds route.

Reactions: MKD75

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This forum is invaluable for information! Thank you for the replies. Now I am "smoke free" and got myself past that hurdle I am back on track and this last test has put things in perspective for me. Summer at work in my job is killer, up to 60 hours a week in a job where I hardly move so finishing work and exercising was a struggle! I aim to be to 42 on my next test in January as I really do not want medication.