Libre 2 has some strange errors

JudiP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had a few issues with the libre 2 sensors. Yesterday and through the night I had the sensor reading as lo or 3.2 or beliw and was taking action to deal with the lows. It wasn't until I got home and finger pricked when I realised my sensor was reading at about 3.5 below my actual readings. So I was never low in the first place? This has happened a few times and not at the end of the sensors life either usually 7 to 9 days in? However I always report the issue to Abbott who have usually replaced the sensor. Has anyone else had this issue?
My levels always drop overnight but I find that my sensor alarm frequently wakes me with levels of 3.4 or similar. When I get up I don’t feel at all hypo and often my levels then go up even though I haven’t eaten anything. If I had those readings during the day I would definitely be feeling hypo.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
A couple of years ago reading on the forum about all the problems some people were having with the Libre I thought no way I'll stick to the trusted finger pricks 6 - 10 times a day , last may I was offered a Libre at my annual review and can honestly say it's been brilliant , In that short time I've gone from using a reader and my phone as a flash to now a CGM , I can now see errors that I must of been making for years and rectified them , I've only recently had one sensor failure and after about three days got a replacement from Abbott their customer service was first class and never had one come off even after swimming, saunas , water chutes at centre parc last week so all in all I would say their brilliant and can't imagine ever going back .

Last edited:

seascapes

I had an unexpected error - can’t remember the actual words but it said the sensor was too hot to get a reading! I had been lying in a heated pad for muscle pain.

• Informative
Reactions: aylalake

LancsCarol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Regular housework has to top the list, with nasty manipulative bullies coming a very close second - or maybe they are at the top....
Oh - and computers
I learned to
- apply new sensors several hours before the previous one stopped
- always use the other arm for the new one
- always wait after swabbing the skin, to allow all the alcohol to evaporate
- during application, after pressing the sensor onto the skin, wait before withdrawing the applicator
- then press firmly directly onto the sensor to be sure it is fully and firmly attached
- as soon as the older sensor stops functioning, rip it off, so that I could not rescan it in error after starting up the other sensor (scanning both sensors really screws up the operation of the reader)
Since then, they operate perfectly. I never link my phone: only use the Abbott reader.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never had any problems with the original Libre. Libre 2 is a nightmare. I don't bother with it anymore.
I dislike ' new improved' things, they rarely are as good as the original.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I never had any problems with the original Libre. Libre 2 is a nightmare. I don't bother with it anymore.
I dislike ' new improved' things, they rarely are as good as the original.
May I ask what problems you are having ?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask what problems you are having ?
Sensors only lasting 11 days and being unable to scan when I want to...'try later 'multiple times a day. Abbott have replaced a couple of sensors for me, but it's just too much trouble to keep contacting them. Technology that doesn't work all the time is useless.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My levels always drop overnight but I find that my sensor alarm frequently wakes me with levels of 3.4 or similar. When I get up I don’t feel at all hypo and often my levels then go up even though I haven’t eaten anything. If I had those readings during the day I would definitely be feeling hypo.
Do you check your readings with a finger prick?
If this only happens at night and your BG goes back up on its own, it could be a compression low - false low reading reported by any CGM if pressure is applied to the sensor blocking the flow of fluid to the filament.

I find it frustrating that this is something that is "tribal knowledge" amongst those of us who have been using CGMs for some time but is rarely shared by the manufacturers.
Plus the other common limitations of CGMs such as insertion trauma, predictive reporting and design calibration for normal levels.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
The 3 replacement sensors Abbott sent me after advising them of problems (see previous post) plus the two further ones I purchased myself have all performed flawlessly. I have therefore to assume there was a faulty batch.

Jo Lauren

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you check your readings with a finger prick?
If this only happens at night and your BG goes back up on its own, it could be a compression low - false low reading reported by any CGM if pressure is applied to the sensor blocking the flow of fluid to the filament.

I find it frustrating that this is something that is "tribal knowledge" amongst those of us who have been using CGMs for some time but is rarely shared by the manufacturers.
Plus the other common limitations of CGMs such as insertion trauma, predictive reporting and design calibration for normal levels.
The BG readings going up early morning could also be due to the "dawn phenomena", where BG rises on its own. That happens to me every morning.

Reactions: Hopeful34

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
It could well settle down after the first 24 hours and be more accurate. If not, give Abbott a call and they'll replace it. Some of us find it helps to apply the Libre to our arms 24 or even 48 hours before activating it.
I like that idea. I presume though that you still get the 1 hour gap between the first one stopping and the new one starting?

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
I learned to
- apply new sensors several hours before the previous one stopped
- always use the other arm for the new one
- always wait after swabbing the skin, to allow all the alcohol to evaporate
- during application, after pressing the sensor onto the skin, wait before withdrawing the applicator
- then press firmly directly onto the sensor to be sure it is fully and firmly attached
- as soon as the older sensor stops functioning, rip it off, so that I could not rescan it in error after starting up the other sensor (scanning both sensors really screws up the operation of the reader)
Since then, they operate perfectly. I never link my phone: only use the Abbott reader.
Does the Abbott reader still give alarms for
high and low and out of contact?it is ages since I used mine instead of the phone as I kept losing it and unlike the phone could not track it. Also could not make notes on it to refer back to but it was in many ways handier than the phone as less bulky.

Jiveyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Same, i have had to faulty one in the last month too. One kept looking signal and my phone was right next to it. The other unavailable to scan all the time. But GP only gives me 2 a month ☹️ back to pricking my finger for 3 weeks
Try contacting Abbot direct. They will replace faulty sensors without affecting your prescription.