Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Just my view and a bit of research.

Libre 2 and 3 are different in the following ways:

1. Size - 3 wins (about the size of 2 5p pieces stuck together - L2 is just bigger than a 2p piece and about 1.5 times as thick
2. NFC scanner - Libre 2 wins as 3 doesn't have an NFC aerial (hence smaller)
3. Libre 3 is new and will be negotiated for 'soon ish' as Abbott want to end production of the 2, but that takes years (about 5 based on L1 to L2 phase out)
4. Accuracy looks to be about the same - its the same basic kit - worth remembering that there is no consistent CGM accuracy standards - so manufactures can change the goal posts with each device - its very difficult to compare any CGM to another
5. Dex One seems to be about as good as L2 in reliability and accuracy terms (but that's anecdotally reading from people experiences on t'internet
6. You won't be able to scan a L3 - so a really reliable Bluetooth connection will be needed for it to work (might be an issue for Samsung and some Apple users as there have recently been issues with bluetooth stacks)

For now I'm sticking with L2 - Its available on the NHS and works as well as most of the lower cost CGM options although accuracy and reliability does appear to be better if you self fund the Dex G7 etc etc - but lots of us can't afford to do that

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6. You won't be able to scan a L3 - so a really reliable Bluetooth connection will be needed for it to work (might be an issue for Samsung and some Apple users as there have recently been issues with bluetooth stacks)
Yet from what I’ve seen on the Abbott L3 blurb (including a video.) to start the sensor you do need to NFC scan the device. But only To BT pair it up…

Now the L2 has a pretty good tether to my Samsung phone. If there is a signal loss? Just scanning sort it out. I’ve even had low alarms sound on my left “elsewhere” phone 3 rooms away?

I’m not in any hurry for the L3. But I would hope reconnection of BT is as simple as an NFC scan with the app open..

Edit to show my source:

Toots82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply back. I am aware they last for 14 days then you replace. But they can stop working or fall off.
I had trouble with mine coming off. I work as a gardener and occasionally they'd get caught on something. I now use a pretty harsh soap and really scrub the back of my arm before applying. No more problems with them coming unattached!

Hope that helps!

Ps. They used to come with an alcohol wipe but even they didn't work as well as an extra intense wash lol

• Agree
Reactions: Speedbird

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Yet from what I’ve seen on the Abbott L3 blurb (including a video.) to start the sensor you do need to NFC scan the device. But only To BT pair it up…
Just had a look - apologies you're spot on, there is a NFC aerial in the bottom edge used to start the sensor, but cannot then be used to read the BG data once the sensor has started - possibly its disabled after that point to save power.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a look - apologies you're spot on, there is a NFC aerial in the bottom edge used to start the sensor, but cannot then be used to read the BG data once the sensor has started - possibly its disabled after that point to save power.
I kinda feel the NFC is there as a quick connection also if the BT connection gets lost if unpaired during the sensor’s life too..?
But the data collated is only sent when BT contact has been made with the device.

So I feel you were right, in a sense…. :)

Here is what I have found. Which kinda stacks up…. https://www.maketecheasier.com/nfc-vs-bluetooth-whats-the-difference/#

wes.w

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
This NFC only for the Libre would have been a problem for me, as I have chronic fatigue and sleep for 10-12 hours at nights. Having to do a scan within a couple of inches of the sensor at least every 8 hours means readings would be lost, although I see now that bluetooth was added to the Libre2 only a month ago .

Fortunately the Libre 2 wasn't compatible with with my phone model since their update around the beginning of this year (Samsung Galaxy A13), so my consultant changed my prescription to Dexcom 1, which works on bluetooth and needs to be within about 6 metres from the sensor. And it hasn't been highlighted here, but the Dexcom transmitter part is supposed to last for 90 days. The Dexcom can be arm or midriff fitted - I use the latter - and a good friend of mine who is T1 and on a Libre pointed out that sensors falling off had been a problem for him, including having one ripped off from behind by a child when he was wearing a short sleeved teeshirt.

So the number of factors you need to take into account when deciding which CGM to use only increase the deeper you look!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need the reading to show to your Diabetic Nurse. But the good thing is they are able to link in and view and print out the reading from your account online called Libre View.

Print out? My reading goes direct to the hospital clinic so can be accessed by anyone I am talking to there. No paper involved. And I can have it on my I pad in front of me.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply back. I am aware they last for 14 days then you replace. But they can stop working or fall off.
When they fail you should contact Abbott for replacements.
And if they regularly fall off, you should look at your placement or add a protective cover
There 8s no reason why the cash strapped NHS should fund these cases

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Yes I am aware of this and have requested any that fall out back from Abbott. But my GP give me 4 every time I request a repeat prescription.
That is not good you will have a stock pile when some people can't even get them !

Ricku2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on day 2 of trialling the Libra 2 and it has highlighted multiple hypos during the night, i did a finger prick test first thing this morning to see where my fasting sugar level was and it showed 4.4 the sensor reading was 4.3 , I've booked an appointment with my GP to discuss this and hopefully get the Libra on prescription, walking into work it alarmed to say I'd dropped to 3.1 but I had no side effects that indicates my sugar level is low.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Same as above for type 2 it’s a huge fight to get it on the NHS.
I have finally managed it because of hypos and it’s a huge bonus as you are finding out.