Libre alarms not working.

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yah, there will always be "better" widgets out there, but it is the expectation of consumers that their chosen widget works as intended and as described by the manufacturer. I appreciate your input, and I too have thought about going with the G6. However it is bulkier than the (freestyle libre 2) FL2, more costly and provides features that others may not need. With that said, it would be nice if this forum was used to collect individual experiences regarding alarms on the FL2....and then provide this collective data set to Abbot, as they will want a statistically sufficient number of complaints to take it seriously.
Totally agree !
ABBOTT sort this issue

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate my Libre 2 and it causes me nothing but stress. I requested a Dexcom one after reading about the comparison here: https://diabetes.gifts/dexcom-one-vs-libre-2/. I have been approved for it but do not have it yet, will update this board when I have. Here’s to hoping it’s more accurate and has less sensor failure!
Hi,

Strangely, with my last DSN appointment (tail end of last December 22.) There was a “box ticking” initiative regarding mental health? I was asked as part of this exercise how I was getting on with the libre..

I explained how I used the sensor in conjunction with a third party app & a BT bridge also sending data independently to a stand alone watch.. Her eyes glazed..
But she was encouraged I had no issue with the prescribed device. I love it.

But I can appreciate they could be a source of stress.. There are too many “variables” that can interfere…

In comparison. I have a colleague with a 3 year old diagnosed last September prescribed a Dexcom G6.. His child had issues with it cruising for around 12 hours at 3.4mmol whilst the meter said the bloods were in the 20s???
He approached me during a break knowing I wear a “sensor.” I saw a screen shot of the graph sent from his partner..
we looked at alsorts.. Placement, possible “compression lows?” (It was placed on the child’s bum, just below the jog trouser belt line.)

Now this was a Dexcom. (As a new to the scene parent.) He’d planted the thing on a wriggling toddler. His child’s nurse seemed to be no help.. (to the point they didn’t really understand the tech.) Even to the point of advising don’t use the meter, go by the Dexcom…. :banghead: :rolleyes:

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with moving onto the Dexcom.

Reactions: Optium

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish they'd add a "feature" that let me delete entire days of data from libreview (or whatever it's called) because the first and last days of my sensors seem way off. Yesterday I am sure[1] that it changed the graph after a few more readings to adjust the trend line. I even have a note on the dot saying "why??"

[1] Ok, "sure" is too strong a word but before dinner there was a very high reading and the line joined to the dot. After dinner the BSL reading was back to what I expected and the line had moved (I'm "sure") and the pre-dinner dot is now well above the line. Maybe I was dreaming and should have taken a screenshot

finzi1966

I wish they'd add a "feature" that let me delete entire days of data from libreview (or whatever it's called) because the first and last days of my sensors seem way off. Yesterday I am sure[1] that it changed the graph after a few more readings to adjust the trend line. I even have a note on the dot saying "why??"

[1] Ok, "sure" is too strong a word but before dinner there was a very high reading and the line joined to the dot. After dinner the BSL reading was back to what I expected and the line had moved (I'm "sure") and the pre-dinner dot is now well above the line. Maybe I was dreaming and should have taken a screenshot

Plantae - that is meant to happen. The line on the graph is a smoothed average. That particular reading was obviously an outlier (whether it was accurate or not we can’t know) and so it doesn’t get taken into account in the graphs line. Which is kind of a good thing, really, I think.

I completely hear you about first and last days being inaccurate. For me too, particularly first day (and that’s with applying it 24 hours before). The funny thing is that this time around, I didn’t have time to apply early (because I was replacing due to a sensor failure) and it was still inaccurate for exactly the same length of time as always (it’s almost like it seems to be a problem for 24 hours after activation, rather than 24 hours after application!)

Reactions: Optium and plantae

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Yah, there will always be "better" widgets out there, but it is the expectation of consumers that their chosen widget works as intended and as described by the manufacturer. I appreciate your input, and I too have thought about going with the G6. However it is bulkier than the (freestyle libre 2) FL2, more costly and provides features that others may not need. With that said, it would be nice if this forum was used to collect individual experiences regarding alarms on the FL2....and then provide this collective data set to Abbot, as they will want a statistically sufficient number of complaints to take it seriously.
If you are considering self funding a Dexcom in the UK, the new G7 is slightly cheaper than the G6 and physically similar to the Libre 2 in size and shape.

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For over Forty years I been using opti
Hi,

Strangely, with my last DSN appointment (tail end of last December 22.) There was a “box ticking” initiative regarding mental health? I was asked as part of this exercise how I was getting on with the libre..

I explained how I used the sensor in conjunction with a third party app & a BT bridge also sending data independently to a stand alone watch.. Her eyes glazed..
But she was encouraged I had no issue with the prescribed device. I love it.

But I can appreciate they could be a source of stress.. There are too many “variables” that can interfere…

In comparison. I have a colleague with a 3 year old diagnosed last September prescribed a Dexcom G6.. His child had issues with it cruising for around 12 hours at 3.4mmol whilst the meter said the bloods were in the 20s???
He approached me during a break knowing I wear a “sensor.” I saw a screen shot of the graph sent from his partner..
we looked at alsorts.. Placement, possible “compression lows?” (It was placed on the child’s bum, just below the jog trouser belt line.)

Now this was a Dexcom. (As a new to the scene parent.) He’d planted the thing on a wriggling toddler. His child’s nurse seemed to be no help.. (to the point they didn’t really understand the tech.) Even to the point of advising don’t use the meter, go by the Dexcom…. :banghead: :rolleyes:

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with moving onto the Dexcom.
I was using the optimum blood glucose finger pricking device for over forty years
Only changed over to 'tech' as my poor fingers could take no more !
More stressful to be sure when it doesn't work as it should (i.e. not able to correct loss of alarms signal)

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh er .. that doesn't sound right
Does this reflect in Librebiew

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh er .. that doesn't sound right
Does this reflect in Librebiew
Yeah it does, which is why I wish I could delete the whole day. My diabates team might make decisions based on this and it's clearly wrong (or at least misleading)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Did you check any of this stuff against the BG meter?

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
Been reading through entire thread and stopped at yours and one you were replying to as I have same issue and can offer a little more. I had no issues before updating to android 13 in December then the alarms began to stop working. I work in tech so had a head start on Abbott support who as a previous thread mentioned go through a step by step script and don't listen. Ultimately they sent a new sensor which I didn't want, I want the alarms to work, and said I'd exhausted all options and to either use a reader instead or get a new phone. The odd thing about the alarms is they work for a time usually after a reboot for about 12-24 hours then stop. It's now Jan 2023 and I have upgraded the phone to Samsung galaxy S22. Same issue. I'm convinced it's the OS not gelling with the app but who knows. I think we just have to wait for Abbott to figure it out but the more pressure on them the better. Will be writing to them.

Did you check any of this stuff against the BG meter?
Yeah Jaylee - good point , if a reading looks incorrect test with the good old Blood Glucose meter.
Incidentally- a totally , not in this thread point .. . did you know that if stopped by police (UK) when driving they say only a BG reading will do !
I thought CGM's were supposed to make managing DB easier !

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah it does, which is why I wish I could delete the whole day. My diabates team might make decisions based on this and it's clearly wrong (or at least misleading)
It doesn't give one much confidence in tech !

Reactions: plantae

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plantae - that is meant to happen. The line on the graph is a smoothed average. That particular reading was obviously an outlier (whether it was accurate or not we can’t know) and so it doesn’t get taken into account in the graphs line. Which is kind of a good thing, really, I think.

I completely hear you about first and last days being inaccurate. For me too, particularly first day (and that’s with applying it 24 hours before). The funny thing is that this time around, I didn’t have time to apply early (because I was replacing due to a sensor failure) and it was still inaccurate for exactly the same length of time as always (it’s almost like it seems to be a problem for 24 hours after activation, rather than 24 hours after application!)
Going forward what can we do to get Abbott's attention to look into the 'issues' for libre 2 app . Leave another review on playstore ?
Email relevant bodies , such as ... who ? .. any ideas please

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah Jaylee - good point , if a reading looks incorrect test with the good old Blood Glucose meter.
Incidentally- a totally , not in this thread point .. . did you know that if stopped by police (UK) when driving they say only a BG reading will do !
I thought CGM's were supposed to make managing DB easier !
I still always carry my meter. If need be, I can calibrate my sensor readings on the Diabox app.
My “calibration checks” tend to be in the morning as part of my routine prior to work. (Drive to work. Only a 13 minute trip.)
I’ll check in the afternoon too. (Regarding the stored data on my meter.) My backs covered regarding my obligation with DVLA.

I remember the days of peeing in a cup & using a test tube?

I had some issues in the early days with the libre 1 & found workarounds that Abbott neglected to address.
By comparison, (for me.) the L2 is actually more accurate from activation to it’s 14 day end of life..

Reactions: plantae and Optium

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still always carry my meter. If need be, I can calibrate my sensor readings on the Diabox app.
My “calibration checks” tend to be in the morning as part of my routine prior to work. (Drive to work. Only a 13 minute trip.)
I’ll check in the afternoon too. (Regarding the stored data on my meter.) My backs covered regarding my obligation with DVLA.

I remember the days of peeing in a cup & using a test tube?

I had some issues in the early days with the libre 1 & found workarounds that Abbott neglected to address.
By comparison, (for me.) the L2 is actually more accurate from activation to it’s 14 day end of life..
I am learning a lot thanks to this community forum
For example I have never heard of a Diabox before
- incidentally I just received a low glucose alarm - just the one then loss of signal again

Reactions: hengeman

Glocken

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On January 26 there was a new update for Android. Have anyone had a chance to try it with at new sensor 2 after the update - to see if the alarm problem is solved?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
My android phone resets itself from time to time and sometimes it affects the phones volume settings....
I think its the notification one and if its turned right down the alarm goes off but you can't hear it!

Im used to it now so can laugh at my stupidity...

Good luck

Tony

Old’un

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All of the above comments about the alarms on the freestyle 2 sound very familiar to.me. I have been using freestyle also since it was introduced and self funded. I tried using my android phone alongside my reader and have to say I find the reader the better option. I would also comment that lately the sensors are failing more often, but Abbott do replace them.
I have used firstly L1 and then L2 when it was available and not had any problems with reading the sensors at all. One or two wouldn’t give a reading from the startup so I just put another sensor on and Abbott replaced the faulty one. I do not have, and do not want, a smart phone so I have always used the reader supplied by Abbot. 90 days worth of data is stored and can be downloaded so I am happy with that.

Old’un

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have just moved to Libra 2 and yesterday night I went hypo, but the alarm only went off once I turned on the reader, is it normal? Should the reader always be on in order to send the alarms?? Please let me know as it was the first time I've used it.
The alarm should sound whenever the blood sugar goes out of range. The desired range can be selected and a signal loss alarm too. I keep mine set to high volume and vibrate which helps to ensure the I notice it. The range for the reader to detect a signal from the sensor is not that large (power requirements dictate that) so ensure the reader is next to your bed. On a hard surface it will make more noise when it vibrates which may be helpful if you are a heavy sleeper. If mine goes off in the night with a low blood sugar then I take appropriate action and before going back to sleep I reset the alarm to a lower level to ensure it sounds again if sugars continue to fall. Otherwise the reader would not sound again unless the sugars had risen above the set level and fallen again. Obviously it is reset to the normal level again in the morning so I get a timely notification of impending hypoglycaemia.

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On January 26 there was a new update for Android. Have anyone had a chance to try it with at new sensor 2 after the update - to see if the alarm problem is solved?
Hi
Yes ! - no joy with Samsung A12
I only started using sensors about six months ago after my fingers would take no more pricking !
Alarms worked til around 17th January 23
Phoned Abbott to be told 'phone not compatible any more ' (Android 13)
Sent me a reader to use- kind people on this forum have helped A LOT

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used firstly L1 and then L2 when it was available and not had any problems with reading the sensors at all. One or two wouldn’t give a reading from the startup so I just put another sensor on and Abbott replaced the faulty one. I do not have, and do not want, a smart phone so I have always used the reader supplied by Abbot. 90 days worth of data is stored and can be downloaded so I am happy with that.
Read somewhere that 40% of libre2 sensors fail
That's not good enough is it ABBOTT